New rule for 2012?? Weight number listed on side of door

As noted before I certainly will not convince Kevin.

I just think that the sport would be better, not worse, with the bit of sunshine provided by a universal open hood impound policy. And it baffles me how anyone could work out that some specific part of anyone's engine was out of spec without even knowing for sure what engine was in the car!

(And no, I'm not naive enough to think that all aspects of Prod car speed are inside the engine. OTOH, they are more likely to be inside the engine if I'm even running the right engine......)

This may be one of those issues that plays differently for "top 5 Runoffs" guys vs others. Pretty obviously no one is going to bring a 2.0 DOHC engined 200bhp "HP" Scirocco to the Runoffs, win, and get away with it. Yet presumably I could bring such a thing to the MARRS regional series and win (making a complete mockery of the time and effort put in by the other competitors) as long as I never open the hood in public or go so fast as to make legality unbelievable....

One thing a lot of folks like about Prod is that the relatively open rule set makes it "harder" to cheat than, say, SS, which makes it easier for folks to build a 100% legal car and not feel like a sucker. To me, open hood reinforces that good thing.

Al

dave parker":qx5g9v06 said:
On what grounds could I be disqualified?

Seems likely that your actual weight would come up less than your min weight, if you listed your min weight as infinite..??

KDENNIS":2rcvq9q0 said:
Never look at another mans car without asking permission.
Never lift another mans car cover.
Always return a tool to the hand of the guy you borrowed it from, CLEAN!
Always return a borrowed vehicle with a full tank of gas.

You forgot:

"Don't wear two different plaids."
...and...
"Never eat anything bigger than your head."

Al Seim":z5oi6lmk said:
You can say it with a Greek letter!

Now, you are picking up what I am putting down!

I think that I will use "NMW". Until I am called to the tower and told to change it.

cheers
dave parker

dave parker":2jugvm7i said:
Al Seim":2jugvm7i said:

I think that I will use "NMW". Until I am called to the tower and told to change it.

cheers
dave parker

How about "FTF"

Greg Nagy":173qrv4b said:
dave parker":173qrv4b said:
Al Seim":173qrv4b said:

cheers
dave parker

How about "FTF"

As in farg That's Funny or First To Find?

cheers
dave parker

John Walsh":9w7fqgdb said:
KDENNIS":9w7fqgdb said:
Never look at another mans car without asking permission.
Never lift another mans car cover.
Always return a tool to the hand of the guy you borrowed it from, CLEAN!
Always return a borrowed vehicle with a full tank of gas.

You forgot:

"Don't wear two different plaids."
...and...
"Never eat anything bigger than your head."

I think the saying is:
"never ever under any circumstances wear plaid when your the director of engineering for the local NBC affiliate in Rochester and they put you on air to explain the goverments new commercial volume control law and to explain "perceived loudness" and Fletcher-Munson Curves."

And you forgot
"never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow."

There's a poll question here somewhere in the dialogue between Al and Kevin. Would be curious to see what others think about the hoods.

Spec classes open hood yes, anything else NO way. Heck we can't get cars through impound now due to looking up weights how long is it gonna take us to put our cars back together?? :ask:

Bryan Floyd

I've always had a personal open hood policy. If someone asks, I'll tell how I prepped the car. I don't think there is anything that sensitive that a person would be giving away information that can't be negated by better driving. Hell, I've coached a competitor into improving his lap times by 1 1/2 seconds with no second thoughts about it.

EPrill":3bfzqz9q said:
There's a poll question here somewhere in the dialogue between Al and Kevin. Would be curious to see what others think about the hoods.

Done!

(Kevin - if you think my one line summary of your position is inaccurate I'll change it)

Taking this open hood subject to the extreme, I can remember a fellow competitor who used to work on his car in the trailer. If it wasn't on the track......it was in the trailer.

I'm with Don W. in this one. I have always been willing to let anyone know what my car does and how it does it. As far as the weights on the side of the car, I worked tech this year and having the weight on the side of the car is a great help. G

dave parker":22ptwfro said:
Here is a thought that I had last night while working on my SPU (Super Production Under) car.
SPU is a regional class, there is no "minimum weight" for any car in SPU.

So, what do I show for my minimum weight number? "NMW" for No Minimum Weight, or the infinity symbol, or nothing at all?

Inquiring minds want to know.

cheers
dave parker

X2
(fellow SPU guy with no min weight)...

jimmypet":1smi0vfe said:
dave parker":1smi0vfe said:
Here is a thought that I had last night while working on my SPU (Super Production Under) car.
SPU is a regional class, there is no "minimum weight" for any car in SPU.

So, what do I show for my minimum weight number? "NMW" for No Minimum Weight, or the infinity symbol, or nothing at all?

Inquiring minds want to know.

cheers
dave parker

X2
(fellow SPU guy with no min weight)...

I think that falls under that first part of the rule since there is no minimum weight or only has one you don't need to display it.

"Except for classes in which there is only 1 required minimum weight (i.e., ASR, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, FST, FV, SM5, SRF), all cars shall display the correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR using numbers that are a minimum of two inches in height and are within 6 inches of the class designation in a manner that is clearly legible to the scrutineers at the scales. Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class."

BTW I just did a quick test and SPS/Solotime can do the pre spaced numbers for each side of the car (14 characters total as XXXX LBS, spaces do not count) for $9.45 with 10% SCCA discount code (found on the SCCA member login site) plus shipping.

Here is the link to the product.
http://www.soloperformance.com/Solotime ... _1407.html

Florida region sent out an e-mail say they will enforce the new rule at the double nationals at Homestead. I am sure it will be the same at Sebring.

Back