New rule for 2012?? Weight number listed on side of door

disquek":1wqv5v8q said:
In the spirit of Peter's idea ... since my car has to weigh 1945 and my number is 92, I could put "2037 - " in front of my car number and be legal too? Or maybe "619.4/pi"?

-Kyle

Crap, I am way behind the development curve here. SCCA better get a hold on this before it gets out of hand and we can't undo it because "people already have it".
First electric shifts in FB cars and now this.

Stiner0931":3spqate3 said:
Why couldn't one just grab a sharpie and write the weight largely and "legible" on the tech sticker?

+1. We don't need more alphabet soup on the sides of cars, weight on the tech sticker would be easy.

Gotta love winter time on message boards.... :roll:

Go to HomeLowesAceDepot, spend $4 on a sheet of 2" tall stick on numbers, and slap your GCR-stated weight onto each side of your car. Whooptyfreakingdoo. Do the tech guys a favor so they don't have to go hunting when you come across the scales. And why should they have to spoon-feed everyone by writing their GCR weight onto every single tech sticker they have to give out? That sounds easier than 10 minutes worth of your effort to stick four little numbers onto each side of your car?

Where is the bitch fest? I went back and saw some information, a couple questions,
a couple suggestions, and a couple of jokes.

KDENNIS":38cvq5ij said:
Where is the bitch fest? I went back and saw some information, a couple questions,
a couple suggestions, and a couple of jokes.

Kevin
Amazingly, there has not been on this particular subject.
However, that is an exception as you well know. We have seen the most mundane of subjects get blown totally out of proportion here in the past and it will most likely happen in the future.

This is a good rule, that will help a volunteer specialty that is very often overworked and understaffed, make things happen faster and smoother.

Or should I consider decaf more often? :D

cheers
dave parker

Larry Frankenstein":3apsfapc said:
How will tech know the driver/owner has put the correct weight on the car?

Thank you
L

"Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each
class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class.”

To add to that, how does tech know what class a car is running? I have seen a miata
with SM, EP, STU, ITS class letters all on the side at the same time. Entirely possible to have this car at a national running EP in a run group with STU.
Perhaps there should only be one class designation on the car at a time.

Larry Frankenstein":37gr7o8e said:

Thank you
L

Tech staff doesn't know now. It's honor system based especially if you run a car that has weight penalties (trans, etc). You can't tell the difference looking at my transmission that has dog gears (5% penalty) versus the one that has stock gears unless something invasive happens.

One thing I do like about this rule is knowing who's running what package. When you see a 2179 on an FP Miata, you know it has a dogbox. If someone has 2075 on the side of their car and you know they have a dogbox, you know somethins fishy.

The thing that could become a bit of a pain is a situation like if I break my dogbox and throw the stock spare in and remove 100 lbs. Do I have to change the weight on the side of my car between that qualifying session and the race? Will the tech inspectors be cool with me stating when I get to the scales what happened? (I realize a piece of duct tape and a sharpie can fix the number, but it's more of a procedural question).

I guess that brings up a related question - if you change configurations in the middle of the weekend like that, do you need to inform tech that your base weight has changed? This is the first time I've ever run a car that this could be a real possibility.

How's that for a ramble? :)

Larry Frankenstein":3ml3zh7j said:

Thank you
L
The CRB recognizes that, within a class, competitors know other cars better than Tech (unless they do a really thorough inspection). If you were to see Joe Futz' 1962 Borgward with a weight that doesn't make sense (because you are sure the car has, for example, a dog ring box and the weight on the car doesn't square with the GCR weight), you could call it to Tech's attention or protest (if that suits your purposes better). This is actually an improvement over Tech looking up the Borgward and asking about the gear box - Tech relies on the driver's answer in either case, but this is quicker.

Dave

EPrill":2sggkjpq said:

[Eric and I posted about the same time, but he's got it.]

The thing that could become a bit of a pain is a situation like if I break my dogbox and throw the stock spare in and remove 100 lbs. Do I have to change the weight on the side of my car between that qualifying session and the race? Will the tech inspectors be cool with me stating when I get to the scales what happened? (I realize a piece of duct tape and a sharpie can fix the number, but it's more of a procedural question).

I guess that brings up a related question - if you change configurations in the middle of the weekend like that, do you need to inform tech that your base weight has changed? This is the first time I've ever run a car that this could be a real possibility.

How's that for a ramble? :)
I don't think anyone would hang you if you informed Tech of the swap (in either situation) when you get to the scale, but it would certainly be easier all around if you changed it on the car before the next session. I really don't think it is necessary for the CRB to write a whole bunch of new rules to cover these situations. After all, you haven't had to notify anyone for the last sixty-something years; just because weights will be on the cars doesn't change that.

Dave

Just another damn can of worms! Regular or Italic type face? Serif or sans? Sans serif would save weight, but what if the original badging on your car was serif? Is this legal? I don't think this rule is adequate as written...

JamEs wIleY
#72 Hp MiDgeT

EPrill":1y9wlb6q said:
.... if I break my dogbox and throw the stock spare in and remove 100 lbs. Do I have to change the weight on the side of my car between that qualifying session and the race? ......

I guess that brings up a related question - if you change configurations in the middle of the weekend like that, do you need to inform tech that your base weight has changed? ..........

At Runoffs, rules are in place that if you change you minimum weight specs to a LOWER minimum weight, you will have to give up prior qualifying times. If it's after the last session, you'll have to start at the back.

IS THIS WHAT WE WANT?? If I break my 1289cc engine on Thursday and put in the 1237cc (at a lower weight), SHOULD I have to start at the back of the pack? It's happened to me twice at Runoffs. Once I protested and won, second time they told me I'd lose. Peter

peterzekert":11sgqbt0 said:
EPrill":11sgqbt0 said:
.... if I break my dogbox and throw the stock spare in and remove 100 lbs. Do I have to change the weight on the side of my car between that qualifying session and the race? ......

I guess that brings up a related question - if you change configurations in the middle of the weekend like that, do you need to inform tech that your base weight has changed? ..........

At Runoffs, rules are in place that if you change you minimum weight specs to a LOWER minimum weight, you will have to give up prior qualifying times. If it's after the last session, you'll have to start at the back.

IS THIS WHAT WE WANT?? If I break my 1289cc engine on Thursday and put in the 1237cc (at a lower weight), SHOULD I have to start at the back of the pack? It's happened to me twice at Runoffs. Once I protested and won, second time they told me I'd lose. Peter

I agree you should lose times... otherwise heavy but fast for qual, then light for the race to keep tires alive... might be even more so in AS or EP, but maybe GTL with those RC car tires you guys like ;) In my class, I'd give Prill a hard time if he went to a "lighter" combo for the race... At least at runoffs, during season i don't care because i know he wouldn't apply that much effort for a national...

Larry Frankenstein":kq05eu8h said:

Thank you
L
The same way they know you wrote the correct GCR weight on your tech sheet you've always handed them - they don't.

To the issue Eric brought up, I think that's always been possible. If someone had swapped out their trans like that in the middle of any session in 2011, it still would've been a problem, as the tech guy was just gonna look at that number you wrote on the tech sheet.

S. Henry":2t8vo9le said:
peterzekert":2t8vo9le said:
EPrill":2t8vo9le said:

I agree you should lose times... otherwise heavy but fast for qual, then light for the race to keep tires alive... might be even more so in AS or EP, but maybe GTL with those RC car tires you guys like ;) In my class, I'd give Prill a hard time if he went to a "lighter" combo for the race... At least at runoffs, during season i don't care because i know he wouldn't apply that much effort for a national...

Sam, little do you know that I was almost forced to put a stock box in the car for the race this year. Actually, I had made the decision that I wouldn't race if I had to put the stock box in. It was in the trailer, but I didn't come to the Runoffs to run with that tranny. Glad Ron Olsen had a spare!

I admit, I didn't realize you'd lose times if you went lighter. Would have made that decision easier.

I was mostly concerned with how it would affect my graphics package ... It matters since we all look fast in the paddock.

peterzekert":202oe4bx said:
My car weighs 1760 pounds according to GCR, so, would the clearly legible numbers MDCCLX, 2" high and 6" from class designation make me legal?
I believe it would make me legal, although not too popular.
Peter

Since my car number is in binary, can I also list the weight in binary?

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who dont."

Dave Gomberg":1765rlvk said:
If you were to see Joe Futz' 1962 Borgward with a weight that doesn't make sense (because you are sure the car has, for example, a dog ring box and the weight on the car doesn't square with the GCR weight), you could call it to Tech's attention or protest (if that suits your purposes better). This is actually an improvement over Tech looking up the Borgward and asking about the gear box - Tech relies on the driver's answer in either case, but this is quicker.

Dave

I saw Joe last week. He was going to drag the Borgward out of the barn despite the CRB refusing the competition adjustments needed to make it competitive. However these extra required numbers are just to much to ask and he will sit out another season.

Binary ... now you're thinking.

How about hexadecimal? My weight is 799 in hex.

Or octal? In octal I have to weigh 3631.

Do they make octal scales? Isn't silly season fun?

-Kyle

Back