New rule for 2012?? Weight number listed on side of door

Think Racing

I was told by a friend of mine about a new rule for next year. 2" numbers placed near your class designation indicating your car's weight.

Anyone heard of this new rule - if it in fact is a rule?? I can't find it in the GCR, but I'm looking at 2011.

Fred
It will be in the 2012 GCR. I think that for a race group such as the MARRS Small Bore group this is a great idea to help our already overworked volunteers in tech. In the case of our Small Bore group, there are a minimum of eleven classes in our race group. This means a lot of flipping through the GCR to make sure of everyone's minimum weight.

cheers
dave parker

Page 29 of the December Fastrack.

#4350 – May
In 9.3.29, add a new section D as follows:
“Except for classes in which there is only 1 required minimum weight (i.e., ASR, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, FST, FV,
SM5, SRF), all cars shall display the correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR using numbers that are a
minimum of two inches in height and are within 6 inches of the class designation in a manner that is clearly legible to
the scrutineers at the scales. Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each
class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class.”

I would rather see the WB/track listed on the car so I could sort them in the tech waiting line by the way they fit on the scales. But I may concentrate on driving next year instead of working tech.

slunder":1c9jbqd8 said:
So am I to assume that this would have to be on both sides of the car?

It doesn't say both doors. Unless otherwise told, I'm doing the passenger side which faces the people reading the scales.

Think Racing":2okadmmk said:
It doesn't say both doors. Unless otherwise told, I'm doing the passenger side which faces the people reading the scales.

That's going to be track dependent, Fred. Just thinking about some of the ones down here in the SEDIV, I can think of three that are read from the passenger side and three on drivers side.

I'll be doing it on both sides.

FP Racer":3s9c59u2 said:
Page 29 of the December Fastrack.

#4350 – May
“Except for classes in which there is only 1 required minimum weight (i.e., ASR, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, FST, FV,
SM5, SRF), all cars shall display the correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR using numbers that are a
minimum of two inches in height and are within 6 inches of the class designation in a manner that is clearly legible to
the scrutineers at the scales. Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each
class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class.”

The final language voted by the BOD in October was much easier to comply with. It just needs to be legible to the tech crew.

Specifically, from the December Fastrack, page 29:

MOTION (Patullo/Walsh) to approve the rule change #4350 to the GCR. PASSED 10-3. Opposed Gordy, Merideth and Jones.
#4350 – May
“Except for classes in which there is only 1 required minimum weight (i.e., ASR, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, FST, FV, SM5, SRF), all cars shall display the correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR in a manner that is clearly legible to the scrutineers at the scales. Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class.”

This item in Fastrack refers to "grayed out" text, but it doesn't appear that way. I've removed that text so the final wording is as shown above.

Dave

Based on the rewording of the rule, it would appear that having a 2011 Runoffs tech sticker on the car (which includes the car weight) would satisfy the new rule change, unless one's car received a weight change over the winter....correct?

PMcCartin":ddexsgo8 said:
isn't the weight already listed in the log book your supposed to have with you at tech? or am I too last century?
I drive straight off the track to tech- my logbook stays in the trailer. If there's ever a dispute about something, then I'll go back and get it.

My car weighs 1760 pounds according to GCR, so, would the clearly legible numbers MDCCLX, 2" high and 6" from class designation make me legal?
I believe it would make me legal, although not too popular.
Peter

Half the time, the weight written in the logbook is not correct. And the logbook is not tech will look at. They will go to the current page of the car spec in the GCR. I've never asked to see a logbook for weight.

As for the Runoffs decals, I would think it would be ok as long as tech can read the numbers. Remember, at the Runoffs, the tech crew sits right beside the scales. At some tracks, Road Atlanta, for instance, they are not that close to the car.

As is normal with a new general rule, someone ( a Director) didn't like having a specific size number on their car so we end up with another gray area. I'm sure it will get specified in the future.

Just be aware when tech says they can't read it, it will most likely get written in the logbook and necessitate a trip with car to tech at the next race.

The primary purpose is to speed up impound. The faster you get off the scales, the sooner you get out of impound. For instance, at Sebring, we have 10 classes on Saturday for the Prod group race. That's 30 cars to weigh and tech post race. We have approximately 35 minutes to get it all done including verifying the weights. I know in the past I have helped the scale operators and it takes most of the time between groups just to get everyone weighed. This should make it go quicker.

peterzekert":1m1ccjuy said:
My car weighs 1760 pounds according to GCR, so, would the clearly legible numbers MDCCLX, 2" high and 6" from class designation make me legal?
Peter

Where is that Like button...lol

peterzekert":6noc5myi said:
Peter

I thought for sure you would be non-compliant. I assumed they had used the word "number" within the rule. I was wrong they don't don't specify number or numeral.
nu·mer·al
1. A symbol or mark used to represent a number.

They do however say:
"correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR"
They don't use numerals in the GCR, so they could get you on whats
specified in the GCR, which is a numerical representation of the correct weight.

I think its a gray area and I am worried that someone with a mathematician on their team could exploit this rule and express 1760 in a way that would be an advantage, we should appoint a sub-comittee to study it further. Obviously Rome would be the most logical place to hold these meetings. I have written my letter to the BOD I encourage you to do the same.

In the spirit of Peter's idea ... since my car has to weigh 1945 and my number is 92, I could put "2037 - " in front of my car number and be legal too? Or maybe "619.4/pi"?

-Kyle

Back