Summit Point National

Okay,We are moving forward for the Chris Fox Memorial small bore trophy.Our plan is a plaque with a etched picture of Chris in her Caterham with 12 plates to be engraved with the current recipients name.With out stepping on toes let us know what you think.

I think the idea of a perpetual trophy is good. However, I am not so sure about restricting recipients to Small Bore drivers if that is the proposed direction. The pool of eligible recipients could be pretty small and the value of selection less significant. I think it would be a good idea to enlarge the pool to include pretty much anyone present at the race who stands out as a 'Spirit of the Sport'. This would include workers, crew, drivers in other classes, etc. After all, Chris worked many SCCA specialties, from Flag to Pit, ofter crewed for me and others, instructed at countless drivers schools, both SCCA and car clubs, and drove cars outside the Small Bore group, most recently IT cars in enduros. Right now there are only 9 Small Bore cars registered for the Summit Point National, although this will improve some in the 2+ weeks still to go. But if the present total count of 79 (including 2 Regional groups) doesn't improve dramatically, there may not be future Nationals at Summit Point. In which case I would propose the transfer of the trophy to the Prodfest at VIR.

If I might offer a suggestion...

After 2009 season I was honored to receive an award given to a Kansas Region driver called the Bill Noble Award. This award has been around since the 1980s. The award reads:

"Presented to the Kansas Region driver who best exemplifies the combination of mechanical expertise, driving skill and competitive sportsmanship"

The award is perpetual and is not necessarily given each year. The last two recipients determine if someone should receive the award with (now) Lisa's blessing.

Here's a picture of the award, that the recipients keeps until it is next awarded.

Perhaps something along these lines would be appropriate to honor Chris' legacy?

Randy ,I agree and I think Anne is going to start a perpetual award for the DC region when she gets back from her trip.If the National is not supported by our region in the future the Prod fest would be a great replacement race.

No dog in any of this..

But if the present total count of 79 (including 2 Regional groups) doesn't improve dramatically, there may not be future Nationals at Summit Point.

The Jefferson 500 vintage race next weekend has 170 on their entry list. Mostly composed of small bore production drivers.

The Mitty at Road Atlanta had 345 cars (obviously, there were a lot of deep pocket entries).

The spring vintage event at Road America next weekend has 118 cars registered (39 more than the SP National so far).

It's sad to see the National racers not supporting the region's efforts to put on Nationals. I suspect the NJMP national will feature similar car counts (not sure what NHMS had, but it can't be much).

Bob,

Because the DLB Racing registration website requires you to pay when you register and seek a refund if you cant make it, you will find that many people will wait until the last minute to register for the SP National. I know I will.

For people in classes that require significant preparation (Prod, GT, etc - not SM, SRF, etc) this is exaggerated.

I do agree that not coming to the SP National because WDCR had a moment of doubt and skipped the National last year, is quite literary cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No need to panic ... yet.

-Kyle

Kyle,

I did not know that about DLB.

FYI: The Jefferson is up to 198 entries http://www.vrgonline.org/events/jeffers ... rylist.pdf (mostly production cars). Just pointing out that people are still racing, just not with SCCA National. I'd hate to see your and others hard work go for naught and what seems to be the future of National racing, with two double nationals per division only.

Kevin P. McClain":1nfgb7cw said:
I think we all know how Chris felt about plaques. :lol:

Crack me up Kevin!

(Hey guess what? They have wifi in Ireland!)

Um Kevin is right. Chris (and Randy) used plaques as jack stands.

DLB does not require you to pay in advance. The region makes that decision. We use DLB in the southwest division and you pay when you arrive at the event.

brian downey":2fql7mjs said:
Is vintage racing really racing or a fast paced car show?

Kyle can comment too, but at the bigger SVRA events (and the VRG Jefferson 500), it's racing. There is enough in-car videos youtube from some fast drivers that you can get a feel for it. Usually, the front pack is made up of former SCCA National and IMSA drivers with some fast guys thrown in. Amateur racing is amateur racing. The prerequisites are the same for SCCA as it is for vintage. Regardless, with 50 car fields, there is more actual racing going on than in a 10 car SCCA small bore production field.

Ken Nesbit":3iodivuc said:
Um Kevin is right. Chris (and Randy) used plaques as jack stands.

And there's your award .... a jack stand on a trophy ...

GENIUS!!!! could it be one of the stands she actually used? That
would be absolutely representative of the Chris Fox I knew. I would
be proud to display that trophy with any I have received!

Anybody know how many cars need to be entered to hit the break-even point? I noticed it's up to 122 now with small bore leading the way with 23 entries.

Back