Summit Point National

How about a really nice wood plaque with a great picture of Chis in her race car with a checkered flag and below 12 small brass plates that the next 12 yearly winners can have their name engraved. Last guy/gal on the plaque gets to take the trophy home to keep. Count on me to donate and I am sure my son will too.

Bob Hines

Dayle Frame":3mmso0zn said:
anne callihan":3mmso0zn said:
Personally, I think we should name the event the "Chris Fox Memorial National." :cry:

Anne

Thats a damn fine idea. She gave so much to the club that holding the event in her name is wholly appropriate. :applause:

Dayle

Is anyone going to make arrangements for the Chris Fox Trophy???? Where can I send my check. How about my idea of a nice plaque with her cars picture on it, maybe like the trophies at VIR, and some dozen or so brass name plates. Havine a Chris Fox trophy is a great idea and memorial to Chris. Whos going to do this, where can I send my check. Don't let this great idea die. Bob Hines

Thank you Bob! We are working on some ideas, and will go live here and on Facebook very soon. Trust me, this isn't going to die.

Anne

Contact me before having any award made. My wife is an engraver by trade and can assist in this.

p.m me or five one three 405 5425 cell

Bryan Floyd

What about, rather than 1st in each class, we make it a
single trophy, popular vote among small bore drivers in "the spirit of the sport" similar to the Collier Cup with MG vintage racers? That way it may not always be the 1st pl winner, but based on the vote as decided by the fellow drivers in each years' event?

(Typed on my bb so apologies in advance for any errors...old eyes, fine print)

Everybody,

I have talked with our (DC) RE, Jack Burrows, who fully supports the creation of a memoriam for Chris. What shape exactly still TBD, but it's important to know that great minds are working on this! Thanks everyone for your ideas, suggestions, offers of help, etc. I am willing to be the committee chair, so keep the ideas coming.

Jack suggested that instead of collecting actual money right now (for something that hasn't been decided) that we collect pledges.

Further to CBB's suggestion, here's a link to an article re the collier cup: http://www.vintageracecar.com/pages/news.cgi?newsid=110

Another suggestion (from an email chain) is a region perpetual award along the lines of a trophy awarded to a DC region driver who, during the year (?) has shown an outstanding dedication to mentoring, teaching and further developing the skills of club racing drivers who have competed in DC Region club races. Some of you on this forum may not be as interested in that, but I think we could do both ...

Now I'm going to go play Easter bunny ...

Anne

Okay ,so I know its my job to always start the trouble.I know Chris started with the DC region but she became National stand out.I would like to see the trophy awarded at the National race.I would also like to see the race get a name like "The Presidents Cup".It would be nice to get spectators and car clubs back.It would be really good if we had more racers than volunteers(As of right now we dont).I also want a cherry on top.

brian downey":2b2mb9si said:
Okay ,so I know its my job to always start the trouble.I know Chris started with the DC region but she became National stand out.I would like to see the trophy awarded at the National race.I would also like to see the race get a name like "The Presidents Cup".It would be nice to get spectators and car clubs back.It would be really good if we had more racers than volunteers(As of right now we dont).I also want a cherry on top.

The trophy really should be for a National race for the small bore class and should go to a winner of the race. Chris really was a national driver at the end of her life and a very good one at that. I suggested 12 name placques as that is usually about as long as anyone is remembered once they are gone.

Brian the cheeries are on aisle 4 on the next to top shelf, you know that.

Bob

Start all the trouble you want - that's why we have these forums!

OK, so many of you only knew Chris as a National racer. And a damn fine one she was. And passionate. And opinionated. And more. And those of you who knew that Chris want to claim her.

But. She also was a vibrant member of the DC region, and you need to know that many of us want to claim that part of Chris as well. People. She had a heart attack and subsequently died after racing Randy's car at a DC region race. She raced National, but she also raced Regional. And please don't slam the workers/volunteers, because you know what, she was one of those too. She was a flagger before she was a racer, and she was a part time pit marshal for the last 5-7 years. And a damn good one. Had the shirt to prove it. AND she was an instructor for the DC region's drivers schools for longer than I've known her, which is 18 years.

If it were up to me, we would name DC's national race for her, we'd establish a perpetual prod/small bore trophy at that race for her, but we would also establish another DC region specific something in her name.

I am going to throw out an even crazier suggestion. Chris was a National racer, a Regional racer, an instructor, a mentor, a worker and a person who would lend a hand to her fellow competitors. All of those together strike me as an ideal club member.

I propose we name it the "Chris Fox Spirit of the Club " award. This would be representative of all the things Chris did.

I think we should also name the race after her - the Chris Fox Memorial Small Bore race so that her memory stays with us.

Even though I've been out of prod racing for a few years now, I fully support any and all tributes to Chris.

Anne, you can count on me for a pledge. If you don't have our e-mail anymore post here and I get in touch with you.

Has anyone asked Randy what he thinks ought to be done? I hope so. In any event we are behind any effort to give a tribute to Chris, whatever form it might take. I would prefer that it be done as a part of a National racing program since we have no affiliation with the DC Region, but whatever you come up with we will support.

Ron, yes, Randy is on board, and so far has suggested as an appropriate prize Chris's tow vehicle, which her brother has so far been unable to sell but is unlikely to want to donate ...

To the prod peeps and my email “Gang of Chris:”

First I want to thank everybody for some great ideas and suggestions for a Chris Fox Memorial, and to let you know that I have $620 in pledges, plus 10 people (so far) who have said they will throw money at this but have not named a specific amount. And we have not yet “gone public” with this.

Naming this year’s National at Summit Point in Chris’s honor is simply not going to fly. More than anything, that’s because of the late date. The DC Region leadership thinks it would just look slapdash to try to do something for this year, and they don’t want to make hash of it. If we’d had a “group” a month earlier, before the supps went out, it would likely have made a difference.

However, that still leaves open the possibility of future naming rights, as well as consideration of some kind of region perpetual end-of-year award. And Jack Burrows (RE) would fully support both of those ideas.

It also leaves open the possibility of a small bore Memorial Race for this year. Because the small bore group can just decide on their own to do that. (At the moment, however, there are only 8 cars registered for that race, though ‘tis early days yet.)

Most of the feedback I have gotten has been in favor of some kind of “Spirit of the Sport” award, which would mean a single trophy. I’m copying the info supplied by CBB for the MG Collier cup as a guide. We don’t have to do it this way, of course.

The only people who can vote are the MG racers who are entered in the vintage race weekend at The Glen. They are given a form that lists the MG entrants and are asked to select who they would like to receive this year's Collier Cup award. A person is only supposed to win once (the form lists who won in previous years), but there have been a couple of incidents where someone has won twice. The voting form is handed out at the beginning of the race weekend or during the morning of the Collier Cup race. Usually someone just walks around to the MG racers to hand out the form. It must be returned before the Collier Cup race to whoever is organizing the voting, so that the winner can be determined in advance of the race because the award is made immediately after the race. Theoretically, the voters are supposed to select who they feel is an MG Vintage Racer who is worthy of the award, but there have been some occasions when some MGVR staff have encouraged voters to select a particular person for some reason. One example might be a long time vintage racer who is retiring from vintage racing that year, or someone who they feel deserves the award for some reason.
Randy has told me he wants to be considered ineligible for any such award.

Now the organizational glitch: In about 30 hours I will be on a plane to Ireland, and will not be back until late Tues, May 17. [Note that Chris and Randy were supposed to be on this trip with us, along with Ray and Gay Stone. Here’s to those who have gone before us.] Which means I am essentially out of the loop for anything that might happen this year, other than being there.

So for anything to happen in 3 weeks, someone else is going to have to take charge of it. Any takers? Whoever steps up, I’ll send the pledge list and other resources for “The Inaugural Chris Fox Memorial Small Bore Race 2011” and other future projects TBD.

There will be a participation memento, already taken care of.

AND for the region to do the right thing, we’re going to have to have a committee of some kind to pull it together for the future. Any volunteers for that as well? Besides me?

I owe a few people some emails/PMs, and am trying to get to those. Sorry if I haven’t been able to pull it all off, but this is a resourceful bunch and we still have time …

Anne

Back