Steel cities Pitt Race Majors

All I can say is wow, what a great weekend.
-Great Track - this is a great facility and the new track is really nice, cant wait for the improvements and finishing touches.
-Great People - It was nice meeting some new faces from the Northeast. Drivers to the workers everyone was nice.
-Great Field - 117 total entries but 25 of them were GTL/Prod and 10 HP cars with 5 Sprites/Midgets
Congrats to the Northeast on a great event!

Mr. Bartell has certainly set the bar high for the AH/MG marks (and HP in general) and kudos to him for two wins, racing me clean, and teaching me a thing or two. I've got some work to do. :applause:

My racing was pretty boring in general. Kept Bartell in sight all race long on Saturday as he was held up by an EP car and on Sunday I got the start of my life beating Ron to inside of turn one but that lasted almost a lap as I ran into my biggest problem all weekend every lap...the last turn my RPMs dropped to low in 1st gear and I couldn't pull up the hill losing about 1-2 seconds every lap, I had to wave Ron by. :frustrated: Then we came up to the turn 1 mess between Macqueen and Stine, but that's for them to tell.

There are plenty of trials and tribulations to be shared by the HP group, lots of thrashing during the weekend.

Looking forward to coming back!

From Steel Cities Region, Thank you to all of the workers and racers that came out over this weekend to support the region in putting on our First Majors event. All racer that we had talked to loved the new track layout. With all the support Our 63rd Cumberland Majors North meets South was a great success!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

This was my first ever Majors weekend. If they all have 10 H cars, sign me up! :)
The new circuit was great, I loved the back end into and out of the hole, and the esses. There were a lot of blind corners where you had to have faith the circuit was going where you thought it does.
The longer qualifying session was my first surprise, though I think it payed off for me in the end. Right at the end of the session, I lost drive when shifting at the top of the new hill, I was not sure where it was, but it sounded like it was coming from the gearbox. There were really loud noises when I tried to reverse the car out of my paddock spot and it would not move.
I had given up on the weekend, when Graham Fuller commented on how Spridgets allways eat axles. I had just had the mout to look at, but thought my diff might be worth looking at as I had just swapped it in. I jacked up the car, and very little movement on right, but freewheeled on left.. .Uh Oh. When I pulled the axle, about 8 inches came out. We fished out the rest of the halfshaft and fit a new one, just in time to go to grid for the Saturday race.
I had a lousy start, but caught up enough to dice with Jason Stine, Joe Cammilleri, Johannes Krauss, and an Opal GT in F. I had plenty for the rest about everywhere but the back and front straights of the North circuit. The 4.2 was a bad choice. About half way, I lost rear brakes, and locked up the fronts more than once. Things turned into limp home mode, trying to stay out of the way of the other cars.
Better rears borrowed from Mike MacQueen (mine were on the shelf in the shop) and two good front tires were swapped onto the car for Sunday. Gridded next to last with only Sestilli behind me. As a surprise, Charlie Campbell. did not roll off grid and started behind me. When the green fell, Jason moved to the right in front of me, and I shot up the left side with a really good start. Whatever happened next there was out of my line of vision. I was in 4th but back to 6th in H by the end of the first lap. Sestilli and I were going back and forth while keeping Cammilleri and Krauss in sight. A bit before halfway, the Orange Sirocco pulled off in the esses, and we would start to reel in, then lose ground to the other VW. I finally kept the Honda behind me with about 5 laps to go. I think his fronts gave up quicker than my brakes faded. and I tried to chase down Krauss. A few more laps, and 3rd might have really been contestable.

A great weekend, if busy and trying at times. A real blast to race with so many cars, and so many Spridgets! If you did not get out to see the new viewing area, there is a nice sloped hillside that lets you sit and see the majority of the new circuit. Intentional or not, a real tribute to the original Cumberland and the viewer hill.

Greg, it was very nice to meet and race with you this weekend. I also loved the new part of the track, but still need to work on the blind left/downhill right combination. Racing with Johannes and Jason was the most fun that I have had all year. I broke a shaft on the throttle body at a butterfly screw and sucked the screw into the engine on Sunday.

joecam96":2csqnsuu said:
Gary, it was very nice to meet and race with you this weekend. I also loved the new part of the track, but still need to work on the blind left/downhill right combination. Racing with Johannes and Jason was the most fun that I have had all year. I broke a shaft on the throttle body at a butterfly screw and sucked the screw into the engine on Sunday.

The name typo makes me chuckle and reminds me of a fun coincidence. In Saturday's race, I started on the same row as the Spitfire. That same car once belonged to my uncle, Gary Nagy, and was one of the cars that made me want to race growing up. (between my uncle and my car's previous owner/crew, I am used to "Gary")

Joe, it was good to meet and race with you and everyone I have known from this site. It's a shame about your tb, and the turn 1 incident Jason and Mike had, as it could have ended up a real free for all for 3rd

What a great track!! Loads of fun and well-suited to the handling aspects of the Spridgets. Perfect weather, a big H field, and an easy weekend work-wise for me made for an overall great time. A couple of wins and a new track record didn't hurt either.

Met some new people. Always good to see new blood in the production ranks. Felt really bad for Dave Ellenwood as he struggled all weekend and finally packed it in missing both races. Was impressed with Eric V. He learned the new track fast and will be right up there real soon. My record lap was pretty good but I predict will not last long because when they replace the tire stacks with berms the track will be a lot shorter.

All in all a great weekend. If you can get to this track I highly recommend it. Great track layout with a lot of elevation changes, and the facility is still getting better as time goes on.

Saturday's race. Sam had a carb issue and was running rough. Funny, on the grid before the race he offered to pull two plug wires and run in H.

https://youtu.be/1WyHMj14a34

The start and a few laps of Sunday's race. A great start by Eric. Believe me I wasn't asleep. It is hard to get a jump when you are on the front row. Unfortunately the rear camera didn't work.

http://youtu.be/ACXjBFdcM8I

Only took a couple of weeks but here is Sunday's race from the Bugeye point of view.

The drag race start and big heavy flywheel propel me past the H, E, and F leaders into turn one...but that's all I had for them. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/gQ3jmXFU_yw

For the start of Sunday's race. Literally, had a flat right rear at the starting green flag. I was done by turn one. Shredded shortly there after.

Charlie hands me the pole position start and I can't even make one turn. Nice.

Dave, I figured the only way I was going to catch you was throw a nail out as you drove by me on the grid.

Back