Steel cities Pitt Race Majors

eprod bmw

Please join us for the 63rd Cumberland Classic North Meets South Majors
Registration is open for this event! it will be the last Major for the Northeast Conference
This event will take place on the new combined South/North track at 2.9 miles in length. As this is a new track layout, there are no current track records.
New track records will be established this weekend.
Be the first to set the record to beat!

Registration Hours at the Track:

Friday, August 14th 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Saturday,August 15th 7:00am to 11:00am
Sunday, August 16th 7:30am to 10:00am

Tech Hours at the Track

Friday, August 14th 12:00pm to 5:00pm- (for annuals only and by appointment) and 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Saturday, August 15th 7:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 6:00pm (between impound only)
Sunday 8:30am to 9:00am or by appointment

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events...sburgh-international-race-453156#.VQJLcC51xdc

Pitt Race will be holding a test day of August 14 for this event
Full Track (North & South Track Combined) Test and Tune open to all Competition Licensed drivers.
Open to License Competition drivers
Track time from 8am - 5pm
Lunch from 12pm-1pm
Pre-Registration (March 3rd- April 30) $300
Registration (After April, 30 2015) $350

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events...rnational-race-compl-pitt-942370#.VQJMmy51xdc

AJ - will there be a "twilight" test session for those of us who can't take a full day off but would like to get some track time? Mid O does a great job of doing these, running open/closed wheel groups and 3x30 min sessions from 5-8pm. Just curious if something similar would be offered for this weekend.

When will SCCA be giving the sanctioning approval of the new track? Are we in any danger of not receiving it in time and thus running the north course only?

Hello All,
Wanted to clear a couple of things up! The paving at Pitt Race is done, has been done for over 45 days. The First event on the combined North South track is next weekend July 10-12 for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The track is holding an opening ceremony at noon on the 10th.
Here are a couple of videos:
April 29th 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYwTEQuDso
May 22th 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-QPGoCQtQU
July 1st 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4DFkb7kM0
Full track simulation done by Pittsburgh racer using the CAD drawing of the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkH-EkFFB7U
If you are on the fence about coming to the Major, Steel Cities has been working very hard to make this event one to remember.

Any update on the SCCA approval of the full track AJ? Is there any risk to only running the North circuit instead of the full track due to SCCA not approving the new track yet?

Jason,
I have not heard any thing on that subject. The region helped run the PVGP Historics two weeks ago, Butch K was at the event, we gave him a ride around the course in one of the pace cars, he was very happy with all things.

As AJ indicates, I was very impressed with the facility (and new track extension) when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I don't have authority to approve tracks (or any authority whatsoever any longer!) but I see no reason the long course would not have been approved for SCCA competition. They are still missing curbing in the new section, but (as we saw at MIS in 2013) that's no reason to withhold track approval.

Granted it's formula car, but here's some very good video of the new track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

The author also said he was using the same gearing as he did for the old track (top speed was at the same point) but it appears you get there more times per lap.

Kyle,
the track did order a 110 gallons of 112 octane, for the event hopefully that will be enough for those that use it.

Might be a last minute thing. Car ok for once. Driver was not paying attention to the medical requirement for his license. Expires 8/1 and physical not until 8/8.

I know I'm late to this realization, but is anyone else kind of shocked at the cost of this event?

As a two day event, the entry fee cost is $525.

If typical 3 day entry fees are just shy of $600, shouldn't a two day event be closer to $400?

The test day is $350. 88-o 88-o

Making the total entry fee for the 3 day event $875. "bananabehind: "bananabehind:

This is all very confusing to me. You'd have thought that with this being a new to everyone track, that the organizers would realize that people will want maximum seat time and come up with a schedule to support that. Instead we get the least seat time of any majors in 2015 and the highest $/min.

I will likely pony up the dough because I have family stuff planned around this event, but I'm feeling a little bent over here.

-Kyle

disquek":17bqargt said:
I know I'm late to this realization, but is anyone else kind of shocked at the cost of this event?

As a two day event, the entry fee cost is $525.

If typical 3 day entry fees are just shy of $600, shouldn't a two day event be closer to $400?

The test day is $350. 88-o 88-o

Making the total entry fee for the 3 day event $875. "bananabehind: "bananabehind:

This is all very confusing to me. You'd have thought that with this being a new to everyone track, that the organizers would realize that people will want maximum seat time and come up with a schedule to support that. Instead we get the least seat time of any majors in 2015 and the highest $/min.

I will likely pony up the dough because I have family stuff planned around this event, but I'm feeling a little bent over here.

-Kyle

Kyle,
The price was $595 and the region decided to lower it to $525. Our MIS event (also two days) is $525 but we had a $50 early bird discount. So the new price doesn't seem all that whacky. As for test day price, that could be the track doing that. If it's a track sponsored (read non SCCA) test day, they can charge what they want. If it's a region sponsored day (like ours at MIS) then the region dictates price. I have no idea who's running the show on Friday.

Dayle

Agreed with Ron's comments about a twilight. I asked the track (as usually the track runs the test days and not the region) and was promptly told "No." It sure would be nice to get track time before qualifying Saturday, but not for $350. To put it in perspective... the Saturday and Sunday test days at the runoffs are $400 and $325.

Gingerman gave a free 20 minute practice Friday night for the early bird registrants. Would be nice to see more of this for the 2 day Majors events.

I'm sure AJ will chime in on this. But if its the track running things Friday, the region has no say in the matter. All the region can do is ask nicely and point out that other tracks charge FAR less. And it's in the best interests of the track to hold down their costs so more drivers would show up for the race AND the Friday test day.

in our case, MIS wanted nothing to do with the Friday test day so we're running it ourselves. That means we buy a third day of track rental and we get the income from the test day. But we're only charging $175 in order to hold costs down for our entrants.

Dayle

Gingerman and Blackhawk farms have a driver friendly, easy to work with Management. Most others do not. That is why test days are reasonable at both, and "twilight" stuff is possible at Gingerman.

Twilight is precluded at Blackhawk to to local sound ordinances.

Back