Sorry I missed the F/P race

FP8":3omlcu97 said:
I had the great opportunity of becoming a spectator so naturally I was most interested in watching the FP qualifying. I think it was during the 3rd qualifying session when we were roosted in the bleachers on the outside of turn 7 that our rally cross champion stirred up dirt going down to 8 while being pushed off the track while 3 wide. I don't have DA but I suspect that was at 100 MPH +

Mr. Sam, do you care to post the video of that. I was telling you not to go to the right of those two H cars but you didnt' listen. :)

I do have video and data of that... I didn't check the speed yet, but that's got to be pretty close. Maybe a little slower because I wasn't at full song because they held me up through 6 exit and 7 so I was far from flat... However, Lets just say I didn't make any quick corrections :mrgreen: I know the nice freestyle HP driver didn't do it on purpose. He never saw me and he yanked out to pass that other H car. I'm sure I seemed upset at the time, but it was more about another hindered lap than him pushing me out... I'll post it later as long as everyone knows there are no hard feelings... Now if I would have hit that wall...

It's funny... I only remeber dropping tires off the track two times this year, and both are public knowledge now. :mrgreen: Once because I was unwilling to let prill get away and once because the HP (hybrid prod?) didn't see me... Next year I'm running through the dirt because I want too like in years past ;)

Just want to say how much I appreciate all the help on how to solve my problem with my presently uncompetitive midget. One suggestion is I replace the motor with a bigger one, ofcorse I would need a new transmission too, and exhaust , and rework the suspension to handle the heaver motor up front. And throwing aside $20,000 worth of parts and spending more to do it all bothers me a little, but it a thought. Another Idea was I just go that extra little bit and replace the chassis too, with Mazda components and call it a Miada. Problem is I don't like Miadas, possible the ugliest car since a bath tub Porche. and I don't want to race one. Still another idea is I get used to the prospect of racing for 5 place or maybe lower. I just need to come to terms with the fact I can't drive or build a good race car anymore and I wouldn't win anyway even if I had a V8. That one is going to take me some time.

I close by saying I have raced against many of the drivers who's names I see on and in posts and in most cases enough so I have fair knowledge of their limitation and abilities Some of them are very good indeed but not one of them have I not been able to compete successfully with in equal cars. So this underlying theme on this topic that some have through their driving alone they have elevated their cars to unattainable heights is just fantasy. And that others who have become more competitive, when for years they were not, is not because of the rules is fantasy too. I personaly think this is done to promote the Idea by some, that the rules must be fair for all or how is it we have all this parity? Well it may be fair for some but it isn't for others.

Rick, I understand your dislike for the miata. You are the underdog type. And truthfully, the miata looks like a spud. But what makes the miata such a competitve car is that because Mazda has nice payouts, poeple are spending a boatload of money in development. Whenever you put a prize up, poeple will fight for it. I believe if MG or Triumph of whatever british car company had done the same, you would see more of them at the front. I'm guessing that would take a truck load of smelling salts as they have been dead company's for quite some time. I guess I'm saying you'd be better off caring about a car company that cares about you. Kinda the difference of sex with a women or masturbation.
Chris

Are we still talking about race cars? because I don't have any objection to changing women. And I don't I have any attachment to MG or BMC of any other car company. I understand why people race a Mazda, It just holds no interest for me. But I don't think me and other MG racers should be left out as clearly most of us think we are now.

racingspridget":37p4h4tm said:
Often times the explanation for denying many of my requests was "your car isn't developed to the limit of the rules." yet Eric Prill manages to qualify on the pole and lead much of the Runoffs with a stock brake system! So when he decides to upgrade the brakes how much faster will he go? I know that Glen Cameron came to Road America with a brand new Huffaker motor, Taylor dog ring transmission, and a fully developed chassis. And with the best available equipment he qualified 21st out of 26 cars. One spot ahead of the only other Midget that attended. It was Glen's first trip to RA and he will be the first to admit he was still learning the track, but 14 seconds off the pole.......? I was qualified for the Runoffs and my Midget is setting here ready to race, but without a hope of being competitive why would I or any other Midget/Sprite driver spend the money and take the time to attend? To read the actual quote from the SCCA official look at Harold Flescher's thread "Wasting my breath".

I have "upgraded brakes" on my Miata and don't see the advantage. The next car we build won't go to the expense of "upgraded brakes".

Dean":2cul9x73 said:
I think RA is the main problem. It just favors the LP cars. Another example of be careful of what you wish for. I bet there are a number of people that wish the Runoff's were back at HPT or MO. On the other hand Sargis and Wessel seemed to do pretty well. Costs are way up and a lot of people have made the decision to quit or go to LP for economic reason not because of not being competitive.

I have one of the "cookie cutter" LP cars. The engine, transmission, and differential all were built by Jesse Prather. Jesse said my engine was the highest HP he had seen on his dyno at the time (August 2011). If RA favors my car, why did Robert Keller's Volvo walk away from me on the front straight at the 2011 Runoffs? Why did it take an outside pass at the carousel and a good run through the kink to gap him enough to stay ahead the next time to turn one?

The question you should be asking is "Why, if I have all this HP am I back here racing with this Volvo when the other Miatas are in the top 5?"

racingspridget":13lybyle said:
The question you should be asking is "Why, if I have all this HP am I back here racing with this Volvo when the other Miatas are in the top 5?"

Yeah all I was going to say was "Really"

The fact remains: A great many of the Ex-EP cars that were moved into FP and EX-GP cars that were moved into HP (If prepared correctly and driven well) will dominate at Road America. And while a great combination like Ron Bartell and his wonderful car may be fifth on the grid in HP, Ron still is 4 SECONDS off the Honda. In FP, the fastest Spridgets are about 3 sec back.

The RunOffs will be at RA in 2013. If the contract is extended, please explain to the Spridget folks who race to win or to have a viable chance to win, why should they participate at RA. Food, beer, friends, field fillers, sorry that just does not cut it. Every competitor should have a viable chance per the rules spec and currently that is not the case at RA.

blamkin86 your post of the graph was hilarious.

I am obviously a newbie here and to the runoffs. I had a blast at the runoffs, did a little better than I thought and a lot worse than I wanted. The only reason I can afford to race is because of the ease of prep for the Miata and Jesse Prathers help during the racing season.

That's all I have!!

Bill Blust":3jq9gjfq said:
The fact remains: A great many of the Ex-EP cars that were moved into FP and EX-GP cars that were moved into HP (If prepared correctly and driven well) will dominate at Road America. And while a great combination like Ron Bartell and his wonderful car may be fifth on the grid in HP, Ron still is 4 SECONDS off the Honda. In FP, the fastest Spridgets are about 3 sec back.

The RunOffs will be at RA in 2013. If the contract is extended, please explain to the Spridget folks who race to win or to have a viable chance to win, why should they participate at RA. Food, beer, friends, field fillers, sorry that just does not cut it. Every competitor should have a viable chance per the rules spec and currently that is not the case at RA.

Bill,

Not to mention all the ex-GP cars that were moved to FP. How many of those are left? Bill Wessel has been amazing with his Datsun Roadster (with a ton of upgrades) and Chuck Mathis is making big strides with his Scirocco (he built a new car because the Rabbit was an aero brick at RA). But everyone else is GONE. :(

MC

Back