Sorry I missed the F/P race

R

RICK HAYNES

Sounds like the F/p race would have been fun to be in this year, so to that end I sent another letter to my area director. I don't waste my time with the ad-hoc or comp-board any more.

Dear Steve Harris and the SCCA BOD
I know you have more important things to deal with , But I thought I would bring this to your attention. There are 3 SCCA class's the MG midgets and AH sprites are eligible to run in . F/P H/P and GTL. Only 1 racer of any reputation in this type of car, Ron Bartel. even bothers to go to the runoffs any more. [ none in GTL and 2 in F/p. And Nobody is competitive in anything]. Does that not indicate to anyone on the Ad-hoc , comp-board or BOD that something might be wrong with the rules. Or do they all think we just decided to quit going in mass for some unknown reason?

rick haynes

I’ll pick on the Mazda Miata – 9 race groups you can enter them in – at the Runoffs for 6 of those groups the fastest qualifier lap times were about a second apart (for a total of 8 or so seconds between the fastest qualifier and the fastest qualifier in the slowest of those 6 groups – the Board seems quite confident it can tweak the rules enough so it can create race groups where there is only this one second difference – if they can get it down to that nit for the Miata they why can’t they do the same for all race groups – using their brilliance there should be only a couple of seconds between the fastest qualifier in EP than the fastest in HP ….. it only happens where people are using their money and power to influence outcomes – just like Congress, SCCA is a lobbyland – money gets results – Rick, you can get their attention for a moment but that is it – people do what they value and the Board could care less about your concerns – even if there is virtue – positive change, from your perspective, will only come with new people on the Board who carry forward your values and ideas

Rick,

Here is what I got when I asked for an adjustment for some of the cars at RA. An un-named SCCA Official spoke with Gary Johnson and said that the "owners of old cars should do has Kent Prather has done and build new modern cars. Our old cars belong in vintage racing. SCCA's woes are not caused by the BOD, CRB, or staff. We, the owners of old cars are to blame.... We are supposed to build new cars if we want to be competitive."

So Rick, as an owners of OLD cars......we are to blame for not being competitive and we are to blame for the low car counts.

I sure am glad that someone of great knowledge and insight has set us straight.

Bill

I think RA is the main problem. It just favors the LP cars. Another example of be careful of what you wish for. I bet there are a number of people that wish the Runoff's were back at HPT or MO. On the other hand Sargis and Wessel seemed to do pretty well. Costs are way up and a lot of people have made the decision to quit or go to LP for economic reason not because of not being competitive.

Bill Blust":1bq7vld3 said:
old cars belong in vintage racing. .

Got the hint and I am already there, the beer and food are better, more track time, and there are more cars to race with. My first vintage race I had 14 cars in my class, that would be run offs size field these days :twisted: Oh and anyone who tells you, there is no one to race with in vintage is BSing you. Oh and best of all, no rules masterbating.

Often times the explanation for denying many of my requests was "your car isn't developed to the limit of the rules." yet Eric Prill manages to qualify on the pole and lead much of the Runoffs with a stock brake system! So when he decides to upgrade the brakes how much faster will he go? I know that Glen Cameron came to Road America with a brand new Huffaker motor, Taylor dog ring transmission, and a fully developed chassis. And with the best available equipment he qualified 21st out of 26 cars. One spot ahead of the only other Midget that attended. It was Glen's first trip to RA and he will be the first to admit he was still learning the track, but 14 seconds off the pole.......? I was qualified for the Runoffs and my Midget is setting here ready to race, but without a hope of being competitive why would I or any other Midget/Sprite driver spend the money and take the time to attend? To read the actual quote from the SCCA official look at Harold Flescher's thread "Wasting my breath".

Sargis won because of a number of things. Certainly 8 ports is better than 5. A better bore to stroke ratio for the 1296 vs. a 1275. By swing axle do you mean independant rear suspension? A 3" wider track doesn't hurt. Then there's Steve's driving ability. He is great, especially at his home track. Finally, in the words of the color commentator "it looks Eric had this one in the bag and just gave it away." A little harsh but consistant with other comments he made throughout the weekend.

glenwood":qa07oe3x said:
I’ll pick on the Mazda Miata – 9 race groups you can enter them in
A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from a fellow Honda-pilot, who was pointing out how many Mazda's were entered in Prod for the Runoffs, and if that was healthy for the category. This was my response:
That's seven different classifications though, and it's the one manufacturer who offers BY FAR the most support financially and technically. It's not only the easy button, because they do a lot of the work for you, but it also pays the best. I imagine all of those Mazda racers are wondering the same about all those non-Mazda's, and why anyone would chose to race something else. Don't blame Mazda because they've been the one car marker who's made the most fun, cheap, easy to work on cars in recent history, and then supported the grassroots campaigning of them better than anyone else. Its been the basis of that company for probably 15 years. Honda could've done the same with many of their cars, but they chose to offer half the contingency and none of the support. Hell, even their merchandise and parties aren't as good, or as freely given away. Then on top of that, they've made hardly anything worth racing in ten years.....and they're the second best option! It's my job on the PAC to create class parity and lots of competitive cars. However, it's not my job to decide which cars people end up chosing to race. They can chose for themselves, and for many people, MazdaSpeed makes their decision quite easy. Believe me, I've thought on many, many occasions, if I called them up inquiring about running a Miata, just what is there to be had. I bet it's more than I ever got from HPD, and it's not like I get nothing. But, just their advertised contingency alone would be considerably more.

glenwood":qa07oe3x said:
….. it only happens where people are using their money and power to influence outcomes – just like Congress, SCCA is a lobbyland – money gets results – Rick, you can get their attention for a moment but that is it – people do what they value and the Board could care less about your concerns – even if there is virtue – positive change, from your perspective, will only come with new people on the Board who carry forward your values and ideas
Wow that's insulting. But, you're right, as someone who is on the PAC, I do infact do precisely what I value, and that is real, honest, hard competition. I do not believe in participation medals, I do not believe in everyone gets a blue ribbon. I believe in the integrity and stability of our rule book, yet I believe in growth and creating lots of viable options without sacrifice to that integrity and stability. I do not believe in being stagnant, because I believe the world is always changing and you'd better be working to stay one step ahead of it, or you'll find yourself on the losing side as someone or something comes along with different ideas/resources/methods/etc. and does it better than you. All of that, to me, is what real, honest, hard competition is all about.

Dean":qa07oe3x said:
I think RA is the main problem. It just favors the LP cars.
I really can't wait for the Runoffs to move, just so I can stop listening to that excuse. Road America does have long straights, but it's not just a "power track". To be fast there, you need an incredibly well balanced, all-around capable racecar, that is having the crap driven out of it, just like every other track I've ever been to. But it makes me wonder, once the Runoffs do move, what will the excuse be then? We know what Sargis is doing, we know what Prill did in his Lotus 7 (qualified at a 2:34.1 in 2009), and the Walkers were still taking chunks out of their lap times with theirs last week (2:35.6 after just three laps of the race), and on the one-off trips that Nigel Saurino (2:35.1 at 2010 Sprints) and Harold (2:35.1 at 2009 Runoffs) made to Road America, they both ran very respectable times. But sadly, neither of them ever returned again, because apparently one event was all they ever needed to be 100% confident that their car and their driving was already so in-tune with Road America, that they could never gain anymore speed there, no matter what they did. In the meantime, guys like Sargis, Prill, Kannard, Wessel, Sam, Charlie, myself, etc. have all attended a lot of events there in the past four years, have tuned our cars, worked our asses off, and hung our balls out the window as we consistently drove within an inch of crumpling our cars up into little foil & fiberglass balls in every corner. Nevermind the work that's being done away from the track, running lots of events earlier in the year, testing like crazy, constantly developing both the car and the driver, and many late nights in the garage. If someone can give me one example, just one, of a "LBC" that can say the same over the past four years (other than Sargis, who for some reason is the elephant in the room that doesn't matter, for reasons I don't understand), then I'll shut up. Was it really such a daunting task before ANYONE ever bothered to seriously try? Seriously? And I know I'm going to get poo'd down with "You don't own one, you haven't lived it, you didn't know the 'old days' and how things use to be, you don't understand!" My response to that is, "Well, maybe that's the kind of perspective that's needed here.", because in my opinion, that's the kind of thinking that got Prod to being on life support in the first place. The constant rules creep, the constant knee jerk reactions and changes to classifications, the constant desire that just one facet of cars MUST be the clear and concise benchmark and standard for the class. That's precisely how you keep ensuring that just you and your buddies are the only ones racing, and that no new challengers arise to take on you and your product (some call that "competition"). However, that's also precisely how you prevent the generation of growth, the enticing of new drivers to your category, or the generation of any sort of positive "buzz" about your product. In the professional world, that's called "lack of a sustainable business model".

racingspridget":qa07oe3x said:
It was Glen's first trip to RA and he will be the first to admit he was still learning the track, but 14 seconds off the pole.......?
He was running 2:47's, and this is your comparative benchmark you're using to make your case? I set the ITA track record at Road America back in 2005 with my ITA Integra at a 2:43.4, and that was a 2600lbs, 145whp, IT crap-box on DOT tires. This car you're referring to, that had all of "this, that, and the other thing", was running ITB times, 6 seconds slower than the HP times....and you're blaming the classification? How about "It's 12 seconds slower than Saurino and Harold ran in their first trips there." instead? I honestly hate to even point that out, because I'm not trying to dig on Glen and what he did or anything like that, but if a public case is going to be made like this, to try and crush, and bad mouth, and bruise something that so many of us actually do really enjoy and love (contrary to the vocal minority on this forum), then a public counter-case HAS to be welcomed and made as well.

Kevin,
I choose Glen because he was the fastest of the two Midgets that even bothered to show up. If you want to use Harold or Saurino that's fine. So the Midget is 3-4 seconds off the pace. Glen told me earlier in the week he has no plans to come back next year. If you want to talk about rules creep go find a 1993 GCR and look at the Miata line. Rules creep for the full prep cars ended 10 years ago. In the mean time limited prep cars have gotten fabricated control arms, alternate transmissions, alternate induction, alternate brakes, and on and on.....

Gary, I hate to get into this but you're really going over the top here. You're in la la land. You know nothing about Miata's. We've tried for years to improve over the stock brake system and it can't be done. Tilton pedal assemblies, a variety of master cylinder sizes, proportioning, etc. is no better. The stock system works awesome so we don't change it anymore. There is ZERO more speed to be had by that. Eric's car is fully done to the rules and he drives it way better than you or any of your buddies drive your cars. The car is one small factor in success. I hate to see someone like you spew your bs on this forum to try and hurt production. Don't you have something better to do?

If John Saurino decided to bring his cars out and go for the gold you bet your ass he'd be right there up front just like Steve Sargis does because they know how to bring a proper program to the runoffs for the win. I see Steve has his car for sale, maybe you should buy it and see if you can run the times he can. Sheesh...

Jesse,
You can attack me if you want but your response is the only BS here. Look at the 1993 PCS and see what was allowed for Limited prep cars.
The last time I raced John Saurino was at HPT, last national of the year, about ten years ago, and I won the race and he finished second. It was a straight up race with the lead changing many times.
How does equalizing the competition hurt production?

C'mon fellas....let's take a breath. Nothing is gained by opening these cans.

Like Bob Dylan said (There's three sides to every story....yours, mine and the cold, hard truth". Kevin's right. Mazda deserves a lot of credit for their support. VW, too. I wish I raced one. But its too late for me to start over both in time and money. Plus, I'd have to get a shitpile of metric tools.

Would my LBC might stand a better chance on another track? Sure. Do I need to be a better driver? Sure. My hope is that Tom Feller comes out next year (and Ron Bartell comes back too) and does well at RA so we have a real gauge of what can do what. Basing potential on cars that don't show is lunacy.

After looking at the trap speeds, its obvious that most roadsters just can't over come being down a few hundred cc's in displacement. Bartell had a 118.1, Eichelberger has a 116.6, Wright had a 115.6 while a bunch of folks had 118's and higher (Moser, Origer, Gauper, Albin, Trainer, Griffin). Moser had a 122 in Q2....WOW. that's haulin' balls. Our T3 exit speed may be a bit higher but the smaller motors just can't get us to a higher trap speed as fast as the others. Simple facts. What's the answer? I dunno as my car is about as light as it can get (not the driver of course). Would a few more pounds help? Maybe....but probably not enough.

As a chemist, I know the scientific method is to isolate variables to discern cause and effect. There are waaaaay too many variables here. If balancing car potential were easy, we would have had an answer a long time ago. I know Kevin, Tom and the rest of the AdHoc work very hard to keep things equalized. I wouldn't want the responsibility and the abuse. I applaud them for their sacrifice on our behalf. Thank you gentlemen.

Dayle

What Dayle said.

1) Click here (and wait) http://www.scca.com/events/results.cfm?eid=4516
2) Find the class you're interested in
3) Find the session you're interested in (Q1-Q3, Race)
4) Click on the "Timecard (pdf)" link.

For an explanation of what the times are all about, read this
http://www.scca.com/assets/results/RoadAmerica2012map.pdf

The "s4" time column appears to be the time from the T5 split back around to the T1 split - but I'm guessing as there's no explanation.

Don't take my comments too harshly - I'm sure this was a lot of work for someone - but the explanation is lacking, IMHO.

Bill L - There's a second page to the explanation document that has the track map with the different segments and the lengths of those. Yes, the last segment is Entrance of T5 to the finish line.

Back