Road Atlanta Double - March 18-20th

Unfortunately, it's looking like I won't be able to make it up there this weekend. :(
There's still a 'slight' chance but...

Damn. Sorry, Jay. Hope you can get it worked out so you can come and play.

paul kullman":3rbvapke said:
Some of use, this will be race 5 and 6 of the year,
:lol:
Some of us, we live in Ohio - I know, it's my own fault. And if I stuck around here, I'd still be waiting yet another 3 months to race. :roll:

Wow.....what a race. All three prod classes had lead changes and lap records were set. I'm adding this without a final results sheet so forgive any errors in memory.

In EP, Sam Moore had the overall pole. His car balked on him at the drop of the green. It looked like half the field got past him. But he got it together and on the hunt before T1. Meanwhile, Don Tucker and Peter Eelis swapped the lead for the next few laps. By lap seven or eight, Moore had reeled in the crowd and took the lead for good. Tucker had spun in T1 and several laps later developed an issue and came in. Kevin Leigh finished third.

In FP, Kevin Ruck and Ken Kannard were at it all race long. Ruck lead Kannard most of the laps but Ken got a lap record in the process of chasing Kevin down. In the end Ruck ended up with the win.

In HP, Brad Davis' Mini is a beauty. What a nice car. He had the pole in front of Keith Church, Terry Boylan and Rob Horrell. Church and Davis were at it for the first few laps. Boylan and Horrell had their own battle going. In the end Church had to withdraw so Davis collected the win. Horrell could not get around Boylan. Davis, Boylan, Horrell.

Only one GTL car....but what a car. Peter Shadowen showed up and looked tough even with the smaller restrictor. The was on rails.

Tomorrow will be the second race and I'll try and get a report out for it as well.

Dayle

Another awesome race. I watched from the top of the esses. Moore had tapped the field a bit (not as much as yesterday). That left Tucker, Eelis, Leigh, Ruck and Kannard to do battle. They were nose to tail the entire race (Leigh dropped back by mid race). Tucker and Elis swapped positions several times as did Ruck and Kannard. In the end it was Kannard at the stripe. Church and Davis swapped position a couple of times too. But Church hung on for the win. Shadowen with another track record in GTL as well.

As an aside, I MUST point out that the locals put on a great event. Friendly faces everywhere you look, great weather, a well organized event and a GREAT track made me feel right at home. I'll have to come down sometime when I have my shit together this early in the year.

Another aside......many thanks to Jim and Toni Creighton who pointed me in many right directions (where to stay, directions to the track, who to talk to, etc.). When Saturday's lunch time lapping session was cancelled, they arranged a pace/safety car drive for two races today. That was a blast (thanks to the wings 'n things crowd for creating two FCYs).

Dayle

Dayle, What did you see of that Church vs Davis Hprod race that according to mylaps was only a 2.7sec difference at race end??

Hopefully I'll get some time in the next week to put up my in-car video from one or both days, because they were awesome! Ken and I had two great, close races, splitting the wins. He took down Mark Carpenter's old record by 1.2 seconds on Saturday, with a phenomenal lap. Unfortunately I was plagued with some electrical issues all weekend, taking two qualifying sessions from me, and making me limp across the line at the end of Sunday's race. For some reason the car is draining its battery way too quickly, but only doing it on random occasion. I've been wanting to re-do all of the wiring on this car for a while now, so I started ripping it all apart today. Everything's going to get cleaned up, re-routed, or completely deleted if unnecessary. But, it also might never run again - haha!

Curtis":17p3eogk said:
Dayle, What did you see of that Church vs Davis Hprod race that according to mylaps was only a 2.7sec difference at race end??

I was in the top of the eases (T5). Church had the early lead. Over the course of several laps, Davis reeled him in. Traffic separated them a bit but he caught and passed Church. A lap later Church was back in the lead. Davis was doing everything he could but had to settle for second.

Dayle

Back