Road Atlanta Double - March 18-20th

kruck

Figure it's a month away, so we can start talking about it. Should be a blast; a double at one of my favorite tracks! Anyone else planning on going? I should be signing up in the next day or so. I know it kind of sucks that SRF is in there with us E/F/H/GTL cars, but last year they gave us a split start, and being Group 1 will help me get back home earlier.

I think that I have asked this before but don't seem to find the answer while searching. Does the "new" bias slick help the SRF in mid-corner performance? When I used to race agains them the biggest issue was that they parked in the corner. I know it has been beat to death at various times but I didn't mind SRF as much as when at a Regional being grouped with IT cars.

If you're in a Prod car and are being held up in the corners by a SRF, the problem isn't the tires on the SRF, it's the lump behind the wheel.

But like I said, last year they split-start the E/F/H/GTL cars out in front of the SRF's, so you shouldn't really ever have to be around any of them. If one catches you though, it's probably considerably faster and will get by quickly. If it rains though, all bets are off.

As of this morning.
FP - 2 entries
0 Ahrens, Don - 1991 Mazda Miata, Gainesville, FL
73 Ruck, Kevin - 1990 Acura Integra, Delaware, OH

HP - 1 entries
54 Davis, Brad - 2002 Mini Cooper, Summerville, SC

EP - 3 entries
17 Moore, Sam - 1997 BMW Z3, Kannapolis, NC
43 Stratos, Robert - 1987 BMW 325i, West Palm Beach, FL
55 Leigh, Kevin - Caterham 7, Harrisonburg, VA

I sincerely hope there are quite a bit of cars waiting to sign up. A double national to kick off the season at one of the best tracks in the country - what's not to like?

Brad's been running that Mini on the East Coast for a while now. Don't think it was classed in H last time I saw it running though....I believe he works for Mini of Charleston so he's well hooked up for parts and support.

Actually, I think he's the general manager of Minis of Charlston. And he's a greaqt guy. I thought it was cool he bought Tom Long's Honda Civic Si, put stripes on it, and let his son race it as a "FAUX MINI".

Russ

kruck":2smff8wt said:
As of this morning.
I sincerely hope there are quite a bit of cars waiting to sign up. A double national to kick off my season at one of the best tracks in the country - what's not to like?

Fixed that for ya Kevin. I also went ahead and registered for this event but I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to make it. Hope to though, I haven't been there since '07.

Hope they've loaded a ton of weight on that Mini! I didn't even know they were legal in HP, but what isn't these days...

James Wiley
#72 HP Midget

Hope they've loaded a ton of weight on that Mini!

Weight is 2080# or 95# less than the 88-92 CRX. It also has more displacement (1600 vs 1500), bigger valves (Also 4 valves/cyl), very large bore vs stroke (valves are unshrouded) and excellent aftermarket support. :shock:

It was definitely on my radar until I soured on building any new Prod cars.

It's painfully obvious we need GP back. We're trying to fit too many different types of cars in one class and Road America exacerbates the problem with the long straights.

If we were allowed to have a 4th prod class without the 2.5 rule, we would class cars in configurations in which people want to race them. If we were able to class cars at a light weight, they will be more fun to drive, more evenly matched to other cars in the class, and then in effect....more people will want to race them and we will exceed 2.5 cars. Voila!

I think I'll come and hang out at Road Atlanta for the National so I'll stop and say hi to those there.

Tom

Tom Feller":1xyy5cqm said:
It's painfully obvious we need GP back. We're trying to fit too many different types of cars in one class and Road America exacerbates the problem with the long straights.

If we were allowed to have a 4th prod class without the 2.5 rule, we would class cars in configurations in which people want to race them. If we were able to class cars at a light weight, they will be more fun to drive, more evenly matched to other cars in the class, and then in effect....more people will want to race them and we will exceed 2.5 cars. Voila!

I think I'll come and hang out at Road Atlanta for the National so I'll stop and say hi to those there.

Tom

Yes we do. But will it ever happen?? My car is done with Prod as it sits. I might convert it to GTL if I feel like it, but GTL doesn't look like it's all that healthy either. :think:

But if GP came back, the Scirocket would be back in a blink of an eye. I still have one trick small valve GP head left just in case....

MC

Mark, you are the perfect example of how being able to class the cars right will bring people back. There are a lot like you and then are also a lot of guys with LBCs that don't think they have a chance in H.

I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed a 4th class. The new classes are allowed national status without meeting the 2.5 rule, so why not G? But along with G, H needs to have the 2.5 rule removed because at least initially, the introduction of G would steal from H.

Write your letters in support, just make sure you specify that they are both exempt from the 2.5 rule unless you want two dead classes the next year.

My opinion only...

There are quite a few 510s, VWs, Toyotas, Suzukis, Fiats etc. languishing in garages that would come back out to play in GP if it came back...

Yep.

Maybe we need a petition to send to everyone that is sitting it out with their H and G prod cars. Get that signed, take it to the CRB/BOD and see what happens. If we had a "promise" from a large contingent of ex-racers, it would make an impact.

Mark, you want to organize that? You do so well with the Prod Fest! :mrgreen:

Add my name to the GP reinstatement list. Tried to sign your form but couldnt get it to record (read only) and then forward to the to the CRB and BOD.

Let me know if I can help revive GP. Good luck but I think too many SCCA CRB + BOD ego's are involved and most of them would rather swallow a turd than admit an error.
Good Luck
Keith

Tom,

Thank you for the kind words. We'd love to have you at the Prod Fest this year, BTW! :lol:

I can't recall a single instance in the history of the SCCA where a class was eliminated and then reinstated. I just don't see it happening. (If I'm wrong, anybody, please correct me). I also agree with Keith's assessment of the chances it happening. If GP hadn't been dismantled, and instead went to regional only status it might have had a chance.

One can dream though...I'd like one shot at a GP Runoffs race at Road America... :ask:

MC

I'd love to try VIR, if only it wasn't so far from Michigan...maybe someday.

You haven't seen a class reinstated in history, but you also haven't seen so many changes in such a short time. New classes almost every year (STO, STU, etc), creative thinking (like the Honda engine in FF), split races at the Runoffs (T1 and STO, etc). Why not a split race for H and G at the Runoffs...at least until we have the car count to have our own?

It could happen if we make the case for it and get a list of people that will actually race there.

Back