Road Atlanta Double - March 18-20th

You can add my name to the list to bring back GP as well.

The chances of them bringing back GP are pretty slim, but maybe they might actually decide to correct one of the many MISTAKES that they have made in the last few years.

Might want to start the G class discussion under the RULES section.

I might be willing to move from H to G, with the right adjustments.

I would much rather use the formula ford head, which is allowed in F but that doesn't really fit in with H class. Attempting to run a fiesta, mid pack in F class, that would be difficult. Formula ford heads are just easier to find, but it is a better head to use.

Bringing G class back could bring back some sitting G cars, but might also take away a few H cars. If some new cars could get built, added to the mix that would help, a few mini coopers and Yaris's in H and G class and we would have a bigger overall group.

Why didn't we keep G as a Regional class?

How long before all the old G cars go to vintage and never come back?

Maybe i'm a dreamer but let's try. I also tried to sign petition but could only save to my computer. Can somebody help Tom set this up for online signing? If Tom and other past champions sponsor this and we get lots of signatures maybe they will listen.

What's interesting is that I'd bet that MOST of the current HP racers would support the reinstatement of GP!! :wink:

MC

Yes it does belong in the Rules section...I just got off on this tangent after reading the stuff about the Mini and CRX above.

I had a hard time just getting that document to attach to the site because it will not allow normal Word or Excel files be attached unless they are zipped. No idea how to make it shared.

I will say that a petition is not all that is needed. To get any real traction, you need to send individual letters in addition to the petition...and I'm not talking about one person writing a letter and everyone copying it...and no one liners ("I think we should bring back GP.")!! :lol: Write your own letters in your own words with your reasoning in it.

As for G not being Regional only: the adhoc thought it would be best to deal with G holistically with the thinking being that we would retain more people if we moved the cars to H and F and not send a mixed message by having G as Regional. Not sure if that worked out...I don't think there's any way to know at this point.

Tom

It does seem like we could use one more run group to end up with more simlilar cars in each group.

I look at my car and a miata in F class, not at all the same.

Of course some in H class could be looking at my car with it's huge 1600 cc engine and think I don't fit in H class either?? But so far I don't think anyone needs to worry to much about my car.

The new mini was in G class, even limited prep, just looking at the car, and comparing it to other cars in H class, is it similar. Might have similar speed, depending on how limited the rules are and the prep level.

The real question of course is can we get enough cars to have the min required for adding another run group? For now we just have to attempt to make the cars as equal as possible. To win at all cost, pick the right car, but really should be able to win with any car, right??

TED HEINRITZ":3b4zm1ii said:
The new mini was in G class, even limited prep, just looking at the car, and comparing it to other cars in H class, is it similar. Might have similar speed, depending on how limited the rules are and the prep level.

The new Mini will be OK no matter what class they put it in. My wife's dead stock 100,000 mile 02 Mini Cooper with original Cats, a dirty air filter, and 87 octane gas makes the same wheel horsepower as the pro built handgernade in my H, formally Gprod Alfa. In a perfect world the Mini Cooper would be a Gprod car. To big and powerful for Hprod, to heavy, and to front wheel drive for Fprod.

But Hprod doesn't exist anymore. Everybody talks like they killed Gprod. But I think it would be more accurate to say they killed Hprod as it is rapidly becoming Gprod by another name.

All over the board here with these thoughts I know, but has anyone with an unfairly displaced full prep Gprod car requested significant positive adjustment for F or negative adjustment for H ? or is everyone just looking at and considering the reclassificaitons done at time of the initial screwing ?

Curtis you are right about HP turning into the new GP but just like a lot of other classes within SCCA they are turning their backs on ALL of the older cars in favor of the new flavor of the week.

Yep, and as cool as a modified STO Viper is, where is the market for that?

Prod racing is about as cheap as it gets. Our Spitfire is FULLY amortized. :D

Damn, and here I was excited to see all the responses to this thread, thinking some interest actually got generated for this event.

Nope...

kruck":j1ts83zo said:
Damn, and here I was excited to see all the responses to this thread, thinking some interest actually got generated for this event.

Nope...

I'm interested in racing at this event...in GP. :lol:

G thread started under rules. Good to meet you a couple of weeks ago, Kevin, now back to cheering on the numbers for Atlanta!

Before anyone throws 103 octane on the fire, yes my MINI won its first race out of the box at Roebling today. However, it was in the rain and not a good judge of the car. Saturday we qualified 4th of 6 and were quite a distance from the top qualifier. I hope to close the gap as I learn the car but don't know if there is that much left in adjustments and my learning curve. However, if someone else builds one and is smarter than me about weight, it could be faster. I hate to admit how much it was overweight, but let's just say I'd have to drive it by remote control and leave the transmission out to get close to the allowed weight. After 25 years in a showroom stock car, it's really neat to have a car the stays where you put it in a corner. I'm looking forward to running with all the SE Prods guys this year!

Brad

MINIRacer":5e98wpnk said:
Before anyone throws 103 octane on the fire, yes my MINI won its first race out of the box at Roebling today. However, it was in the rain and not a good judge of the car. Saturday we qualified 4th of 6 and were quite a distance from the top qualifier. I hope to close the gap as I learn the car but don't know if there is that much left in adjustments and my learning curve. However, if someone else builds one and is smarter than me about weight, it could be faster. I hate to admit how much it was overweight, but let's just say I'd have to drive it by remote control and leave the transmission out to get close to the allowed weight. After 25 years in a showroom stock car, it's really neat to have a car the stays where you put it in a corner. I'm looking forward to running with all the SE Prods guys this year!

Brad

Congrats on the win, Brad!

FP went from 3 to 6 entrants today - woohoo! Great to see that Kannard's coming down too - should be fun.

EP - 6 entries
3 Spruell, Paul - 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider - Tucker, GA
17 Moore, Sam - 1997 BMW Z 3 - Kannapolis, NC
43 Stratos, Robert - 1987 BMW 325i - West Palm Beach, FL
52 Tucker, Don - 1995 Mazda Miata - Memphis, TN
55 Leigh, Kevin - 2000 Caterham 7 - Harrisonburg, VA
58 Eells, Peter - 1989 Mazda RX-7 - Dunedin, FL

FP - 6 entries
0 Ahrens, Don - 1991 Mazda Miata - Gainesville, FL
7 Britton, Austin - 1962 Lotus Super Seven - Port Orange, FL
38 Manning, Weber - 1991 Mazda Miata - Germantown, TN
51 Kannard, Ken - 1990 Mazda Miata - East Troy, WI
73 Ruck, Kevin - 1990 Acura Integra - Delaware, OH
84 Fohl, Richard - 1990 Mazda Miata - Richmond, VA

HP - 4 entries
6 Griffin, W. Jay - 1986 Honda CRX - Titusville, FL
34 Boylan, Terry - 1990 Honda Civic - Lakeland, FL
54 Davis, Brad - 2002 Mini Cooper - Summerville, SC
90 Horrell, Rob - 1961 Austin Sprite - Memphis, TN

Weather forecast looks amazing and the Prod field is shaping up nicely. Late registration is tomorrow. I should be pretty much all ready tomorrow. First event of the year always seems to take the longest to get ready for.

Back