2015 Runoffs - Daytona!

Mazda Jon":e5pemkvn said:
I was looking through the track rules and found they don't allow metal flag poles. Not sure if this is something they will enforce, but as a flag flyer I need to find an alternative material.
With Florida having the highest lightening strike rate in the nation, it would probably be a good idea to use an alternative flag pole material even if they don't enforce that rule.

I was also told that last September had 28 days of rain.

As far as the flag pole, off to Home Depot Saturday......

Give you a great reason for no metal flag poles. Year before last at Sebring we were nosed into a chain link fence on the short course. Lightning hit the fence about a hundred yards from us and fried our refer electronics, back up camera, and microwave. Insurance company had fun with that one!

We are at Daytona now. Any questions not in the sups... give me a shout and I'll find out what you need.

Bob

I read a comment on another site, within some class at Daytona, cars will run out of gas. Reason being the long duration of WOT. Prod cars with small cell??? :think:

Really? During a typical Sunday race at a Majors, I burn about 5-5.5 gallons, so with a 10 gallon cell I sure hope I'm good! Do people really have cells much smaller than that?

kruck":yrrksnnd said:
Really? During a typical Sunday race at a Majors, I burn about 5-5.5 gallons, so with a 10 gallon cell I sure hope I'm good! Do people really have cells much smaller than that?

I Think there are a few 8 gal cars out there. I know of an EP RX-7 that uses all but about 1.5 gal out of his 12 gal cell at a Majors, so he was going to have pull foam if he took his car.

I know some bigger GT cars (2 and 3) that are VERY close on fuel. GT2 especially with their recent MAJOR bump up in HP has caused the formerly proper sized cell to now be too small or dangerously close.

I wonder if the big T1 cars aren't close when using the stock gas tank. A C6 Corvette has an 18 gallon stock tank.

Could be worse. In an open wheel car, if you need a bigger cell, 90% of the time you are SOL.

As for rain, I looked in the last week in September going back 4 years (so 28 days total). There were 5 major rainstorms (> 1") and 12 small storms (< 1"). So it rained 17 out of 28 of those days. Bring an umbrella! Wednesday of 2014 had 6.41" of rain!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

-Kyle

Jason@SportsCar":32kd9p3v said:
kruck":32kd9p3v said:

I Think there are a few 8 gal cars out there. I know of an EP RX-7 that uses all but about 1.5 gal out of his 12 gal cell at a Majors, so he was going to have pull foam if he took his car.
horry crrap that's a lotta gas. what's he running, E85? I'll burn about 6-7gal at TWS during a 40 minute race in my 13B RX7.. it's certainly not Daytona, but it's got a couple pretty long straights and I average over 90mph.

Just how much space does the foam take up from a 12 gal cell? I can't imagine it being much given the density of 'plastic' and the weight of a foam block.

We have a 12 gallon cell in our sec gen EP RX7. We ran the May SECS race at Daytona (14laps), same as the runoffs and used about 81/2 gallons. As was mentioned above, your wot time is a lot more than any other track. Two straights – one approx. 6600ft and the other 4900ft. Incidentally those straights are around the bank. Finished 2nd to a BMW.

Mil Irvin
EP RX7

Most of you have modern combustion chambers and fuel injection. I can easily burn 7-8 gallons in a national race.

I read a comment on another site, within some classes at Daytona a 14 lap race will be less than 30 min if it goes green the entire way.

EP lap record is a 2:04.7- that could be less than 30 min. Seems like a Sat Majors Sprint race. Is someone within SCCA thinking about fuel usage?
HP could be close to 33 min. So how short will the GT1, FA and P1/2 races be?

2014 6" plus rains flooded the entire west half of the track including filling up the big tunnel 15" over the openings. Wiped out all the electrics on that end. We had the SARCC championship races that weekend. Never worked so hard at a race in my life. To get in to set the paddocks up we had to go under the back straight stands, across the track to the apron, over to the Bus Stop, and through the maintenance area. There were fish swimming on the infield portions of the track. We arrived on Wednesday, they got the big tunnel pumped out by Friday morning so the big rigs could get in.

As for fuel cells... My 948 powered HP car has a 5 1/2 gallon sprint car cell in it. It could handle the 40 minute races at Daytona. My 1275 car has an 8 gallon cell and needs it for Daytona. Going to have to change out the 5 1/2 cell if we put a LP in that car.

Bob

As your friendly grid worker for the event I'll issue my annual reminder to all drivers that the posted times on the schedule are GREEN FLAG TIMES. Meaning, be there AT LEAST 15 minutes prior to that time to allow for the 5 and 1 minutes calls and on race day to allow time for your pace lap.

It's the same procedure every year, but every year someone ends up on grid yelling at us that they missed their start because they didn't know. :doh:

CBB":1wve26og said:
...for the event I'll issue my annual reminder to all drivers that the posted times on the schedule are GREEN FLAG TIMES.
On this year's schedule for the races it notes "RACE TIMES ARE CARS ON COURSE TIMES". It doesn't make mention of it for the qualifying but assume that what you wrote is correct. I assume the race times change is for the sake of the webcast, but I don't know much.

CBB":21m1tub0 said:
As your friendly grid worker for the event I'll issue my annual reminder to all drivers that the posted times on the schedule are GREEN FLAG TIMES. Meaning, be there AT LEAST 15 minutes prior to that time to allow for the 5 and 1 minutes calls and on race day to allow time for your pace lap.

It's the same procedure every year, but every year someone ends up on grid yelling at us that they missed their start because they didn't know. :doh:

But, but....Carolyn, how do you know you're workin' grid, unless someone is yelling at you? :lol:

From the Supplemental:

7.5. Length of Race: Official track length is 3.56 miles. All races will be fourteen (14) laps (49.84 miles) or 40 minutes, whichever comes first. The 40-
minute clock starts when the first car crosses the Start/Finish line at the end of the scheduled pace lap. The 40-minute clock will not stop for any
situation prior to race end. Finishers are defined according to GCR 5.10.4.B.3. The posted race times reflect the time of the first car on course.

Back