End of the Production Car Classes ?

Sterling

In order to merge GTL into F Production SCCA has to:

Re-write the Production Car portion of the GCR. 9.1.5.
A) Philosophy
B) Classification
C) Specifications

Multiple section additions.
We have Level 1 & Level 2
Time to add Level GTL

Plus a slew of other rule additions, modifications or deletions.

This radical rewrite of A, B & C applies to ALL of the Production classes – not just FP

HP make room for small displacement GTL
EP make room for un-corked GTL cars.
How about some GT3 cars into EP.

Think about it. The radical rewrite impacts ALL Production classes. It’s not just about FP
If GTL can be added to FP then why not changes to EP and HP too.

Good luck enticing new growth into the classes when the Production Ruleset becomes even more confusing and conflicted.

These radical changes and major re-write comes with little to no member input.

How many years we have all heard –
Not consistent with class philosophy

Yup.

That was pretty much my first thought about FP/GTL when I read that proposal. But I'm becoming hoarse from screaming about philosophy so instead I'm just beginning to not care.

Maybe the "just do dyno-verified power-to-weight" groups are right (he says, after crewing at Gridlife last weekend)...

"In our constant club-racer quest to make our cars faster, safer and "more reliable" we have pushed for rule changes that simply accelerated the rate of entropy. Every class of production racing does this, of course, until it finally brings on its own demise." - Peter Egan

Im missing it. This seems more like “GT” classes are going away, let them run here with further limitations till they fade away. I’d be more concerned if I was running GTL than I am running FP.

A bigger consolidation would have been merging ST, Prod, and GT (tub based) classes. I could see that but didn’t send it in or post it until now as I figured that’d be too controversial.

Did they " Re-write the Production Car portion of the GCR. 9.1.5. A) Philosophy, B) Classification, C) Specifications" when they allowed B-Spec to race in HP? Did "This radical rewrite of A, B & C applies to ALL of the Production classes"?

Since GTL will remain a regional class its rules will remain in the GCR. It as easy as adding a paragraph with what needs to be removed/added to GTL cars to make them legal for FP. Similar to what was done to add B-Spec.

Easy. And guess what? The sky didn't fall.

I've been a SCCA member for going on 30 years. If there is one thing you can count on in the SCCA is that somebody somewhere is becrying the demise of the Prod classes. It's as constant as the sun rising in the east. And in the last 30 years, how many Prod classes have been removed?

It honesty makes me think twice about building my car to race in Production. Do I want to knowingly associate myself with a group that pisses and moans and bitches as much as many in the Prod group do?

I've been a SCCA member for going on 30 years. If there is one thing you can count on in the SCCA is that somebody somewhere is becrying the demise of the Prod classes. It's as constant as the sun rising in the east. And in the last 30 years, how many Prod classes have been removed?

It honesty makes me think twice about building my car to race in Production. Do I want to knowingly associate myself with a group that pisses and moans and bitches as much as many in the Prod group do?

Cheer up. It's not just the Prod board. Similar unhappiness on Apexspeed (P1/P2, F6, FIA rainlight, Flagtronics implementation timeline) and likely wherever the GT crowd gathers online. You could make an argument that the amount of moaning and pissing associated with any category or class is inversely proportional to that group's participation trend line. ;)

I prefer to see it a different way. On any board, there are always a few resolutely negative players. As often as not, they are not even SCCA members. I suspect that most entrants are too busy working on their cars and racing to get heavily involved in theological discussions.

Howdy, Brian, and welcome to the SCCA Production Forum! I see you're new here...if you have any qestions, please do feel free to ask!

:)

If GTL is going to be added to F Production, then the addition of tubeframe chassis to it is a massive philosophical change (I said I was gunna let that word go...but I just can't...) I'm a 40 years member (assuming we're swingin' dinks here for higher Internet creds -- and you KNOW there's bigger dinks on this board) and I've seen it happen before. It will happen again.

But this time it's different...right?

You know where tubeframes* came from? Production-based categories that allowed the regs to expand beyond their imagination. Sure, add a tube here, and another there. Yup, you can cut away that bracket you're no longer using, and that unused sheet metal there (it's for safety). Sure, you can replace that panel with fiberglass (cheaper parts!) and yeah, that unused suspension pickup point can be cut away (as long as you stay above your min weight, what diff does it make?)

...wait a sec, so why do I need to start with a production chassis anyway? All those parts got cut away and there's really nothing left of the original car...what if I just start with the rollcage instead and tack everything on that? It's surely a lot less work and I'm sure it's cheaper and more dependable!

Inverse Ship of Theseus...?

"In our constant club-racer quest to make our cars faster, safer and "more reliable" we have pushed for rule changes that simply accelerated the rate of entropy. Every class of production racing does this, of course, until it finally brings on its own demise." - Peter Egan

Wait, "reductio ad absurdum, j'accuse!" Well, that's how we got here, so... <shrug>

Let's take your analogy one step further:

...when they allowed B-Spec to race in HP? Did "This radical rewrite of A, B & C applies to ALL of the Production classes"?

Here's the key difference: they didn't have to re-write either class' prep regs for that to happen. B-Spec is allowed to compete in HP without any changes. As-is, you use the blue tape you took off the "BSpec" to make the "HP". Same with Improved Touring cars into Prod and/or STx.

Not so, GTL into FP: those cars will have to be modified to fit into FP. Unless the CRB is willing to completely adjust the regional GTL regs so that they fit their concept of inclusion into FProd as-is then it's not simply a "B-Spec into HP" correlary, it's the creation of an entirely new sub-prep for F Production, a la GT2-STO, or Limited Prep Prod or LP American Sedan.

It is, in effect, creation of an entirely new class. Why? Just to give a dying class a place to run at our annual premium Championship event...?

And they're going to try to comp-adjust these cars to be competitive...but not too competitive, of course?

So why do I care? Honestly I don't, as I'm not an FP competitor and really have no intention to become one. However, FP competitors - and Prod competitors in general - should be very concerned, because as soon as the dust settles someone, somewhere, is going to find a hook where, for example, a tubeframe Miata sporting a street-port 13B looks to be a tasty entry into F Production (oh wait, we now have engine swaps allowed in Production, too?? Even for non-tubeframe cars?? Read rulez, newb). And the PAC/GT adhoc and the CRB are going to swat that and then another example appears, only to get swatted again.

We are racers, after all.

At some point we'll get tired of the swatting and accept that as The New Reality. Because we have a long history of admiring clever thinking instead of saying "no", and we change the regs to accomodate that cleverness (see tubeframe history above) and who doesn't want to be the next Smokey Yunick...?

Ultimately, FP risks becoming a de facto tubeframe and engine swap class - and we're back where we started. How far behind is EP and HP ("oh, that will never happen...right?")

Of course, the PAC and CRB will argue otherwise; after all they're really smart people, right? Yeah, well, no matter how smart they are, they're not as smart as the masses; in my tome "On Writing Rules..." I note:

Tip #1: You can’t POSSIBLY think of all situations
Consider this: there’s a handful of you sitting around a table (or talking on a conference call) trying to find the best way to write an allowance to the regs (e.g., struts, suspension bushings, engine mounts, whatever). These regs will be viewed and interperted by a large population. Do you REALLY believe that you're smarter than all the collective brains out there? Do you really believe you can think of all possible permutations that the rest of the world will come up with? Of course you can't. The masses, as massive as they are, have a collective imagination that simply dwarfs your group's. Ergo, you are insignificant when it comes to thinking of all possibilities.

Be humble.

I'm not against these realignments; in fact, I have very little beef with these changes and about pretty much zero problem with the whole concept and its goals. But changes like we're describing here will have "unintended" - but predictable - consequences down the line.

Maybe I'm screaming the sky is falling. Or maybe there actually is a wolf out there...

We'll see soon enough. - GA

* Tubeframe cars are an anachronism, so "1980s" from back when things like silhouette cars actually mattered. They don't any more. Production-based "tub" cars are today's reality, and in fact so good that it makes zero sense to build a scratch tubeframe car.

And another one: "slick tires". Right there with "so 1980s" (esp bias-ply slicks - they still make that s**t?) Today's top-end DOT-approved radial tires are so good and are the way to go (and 200TW tires are the t**s if you want slower cars -- yup, I wrote that).

Last edited:
When it bites your ass. It could just be a wolf.

I like GTL. I like running with GTL.
Keep GTL alive as a national class.
I don't mind sharing the track at any event including the Runoffs.
However, keep the classes separate. No blending GTL into Production classes. Two races in same session with two champions is fine.

And why wouldn't that be fine for P1 and P2 also?

We don't have to be forced down this path just to have a shorter RunOffs.

Before going off about how GTL will destroy FP, has anybody looked at race results.

2023 Runoffs: The GTL pole would have been 6th on the FP grid.
2022 Runoffs: The GTL pole would have been 7th on the FP grid.
2021 Runoffs: The GTL pole would have been 4th on the FP grid.

I haven't had the time to compare lap records. I'll leave that to someone else.

Not the dominating performance some seem to think. Now remove the wing and add weight to the sequential cars and I don't think you'll see people flocking to put together a tube frame GTL car to run in FP.

So we're proposing abolishing categories and regs prep limitations*, and simply classifying cars based on lap times? Kinda like a bracket race thing.

I mean, after all, if there's no problem allowing a car into a class that is contrary to the core regs set* just so as long as it's not fast enough to win...then why have prep regs? Let's just set lap record brackets and everyone can have at it, and anyone that goes faster is automatically moved up to the next class (bracket).

Or maybe let's just do a power-to-weight thing with an on-site dyno? Helluva lot easier to enforce and we don't have to worry about rules like tubeframes, wings/aero, TIRs, FPRs, cams, even slick or DOT tires.

We just pick some lap times and let 'er rip!

You might be onto something here...

*See? I didn't use that dirty word...

After transferring from 22 years in PCA to SCCA 35 years ago I remember all the fun we had running EP, FP, and HP. Finally in '97 we went full time HP in the Joe Hufaker Sr.built Bugeye HP car we bought originally for autocrossing and track days. Lots of competition, lots of nice folks having fun with their cars, chances to be a worker at various jobs needing help. Still working Paddock and running in HP but with a Runoffs level HP Sprite to go to race with the idea that there is no way to out run the VWs, Hondas, etc. that were infused into the class. Racked up a lot of wins and podium finishes untill then and enjoyed the many cars we were competing with. Now what we have is politics, classes eliminated or combined, worker shortages, and the list goes on. Where's the fun gone guys?

If this merger plan is so well thought out by the greatest minds in SCCA.....

Then for qualifying why is HP and FP a combined run group at the Run offs instead of FP and GTL ?

Not new. I joined this forum January 15, 2010. My point about my 30 year SCCA membership wasn't for internet cred or any swinging anything. My ego and my self worth are not so fragile that I need to score point with complete strangers on the internet.

The purpose of mentioning my SCCA membership was to show that I'm not new at this. And just because my forum avatar doesn't denote me as be a "Well known member" doesn't mean I can't possibly know the history or know anything about rules creep.

I may not know everything, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything at all.

I guess I'm in the minority here believing that the SCCA, CRB and PAC/GT adhoc is not the evil monster hell bent on destroying my world.

If you're always looking for the Boogie Man, the Boogie Man is all you will ever find.

After transferring from 22 years in PCA to SCCA 35 years ago I remember all the fun we had running EP, FP, and HP. Finally in '97 we went full time HP in the Joe Hufaker Sr.built Bugeye HP car we bought originally for autocrossing and track days. Lots of competition, lots of nice folks having fun with their cars, chances to be a worker at various jobs needing help. Still working Paddock and running in HP but with a Runoffs level HP Sprite to go to race with the idea that there is no way to out run the VWs, Hondas, etc. that were infused into the class. Racked up a lot of wins and podium finishes untill then and enjoyed the many cars we were competing with. Now what we have is politics, classes eliminated or combined, worker shortages, and the list goes on. Where's the fun gone guys?
I started running my '87 MR2 C-Stock with the local Solo II group back in 1992, if I remember correctly. In 1995 I moved the car to C Street Prepared(CSP). That involved a spring change, rear roll bar and 13x8 wheels. In 1996 I traveled across the west running Solo II National Tour and ProSolo events. One year, in ProSolo I was looking at a top 5 finish in the championship until I took the party attitude a little too far and tried to out drink my friend that was easily double my weight(135lbs at the time). I was so hungover for my Sunday runs, I thought I was going to puke in my helmet.🤢

Then around 2004 I did my SCCA drivers school in a rented A Sedan Mustang. Turned laps in my drivers school as fast as the guy that had been driving the car for 4 years. Then ran some SM, again in a rented car and a season of GTL in 2008 with a 1976 Civic. Gawd awful slowest racecar in a straight line I've ever seen. But it could still give 'em hell through the corners. Then the economy went to hell and I put racing on the back burner. I made some poor career choices and racing was not in the cards for a while.

But though it all the people were what kept me going. The friendships that are built. The experiences that are shared. You don't stand out on the tarmac of Wendover airport when the concrete is so hot it burns your feet through your shoes, unless the people your are with make it worth it. You don't use your vacation time to hang out at a muddy/dusty/hot/cold/rainy race track halfway across the county to work with people that hate that they are there.

That's way I have very little patience for people that complain. Nobody wants to hang out with a goup of people that just complain all the time. It's tiresom and after a time their negativity will affect you. You end up sitting around the fire at Mid-Ohio complaing about how things use to be. Sounding like the bitter old person you didn't want to be around in your youth.

The only thing that is consistent is change. Classes come and go. Where did all those Showroom Stock cars go? Or F5000 or Can-am or C Prod? Production in general almost went away. But the SCCA, CRB and PAC/GT adhoc spent time and effort to keep it going by added limited prep. The same SCCA, CRB and PAC/GT that some believe is hell bent on getting rid of Production.

How that mental math works, I have no idea. People will make up the craziest $h#t to be made about.

Just to respond to the comments about what I wrote above, what I said was what exists now, not giving an opinion.

Why would the rulesmakers go to all the trouble of completely redefining and upending Prod when they could simply say "GTL cars are allowed to compete in FP"? Or "GTL cars sans wing are allowed to compete in FP"?

I do think that the doomsaying and woe is me that seems to bubble up quite often in Prod doesn't help the category, OTOH the Prod classes are doing pretty well in relative terms. And I happen to think that the BOP for the category as a whole is pretty darned good..

(We've got 7 HP cars registered for the WDCR Labor Day MARRS race at Summit Point with a week to go.) FWIW the HP lap record at Summit Point is still held by a Sprite.

I'm pretty sure I land on Sterling's (and other's) side of the fence.

Just let GTL run as FP may sound ok. It falls apart when you try to do it. Like what if I were to build a new GTL car that also happens to be classed in HP, or just convert the same HP car to GTL like has been done before. I can now run my motor-swapped (and whatever else I did) HP car in FP? Doesn't seem right. And that's just one quick example. That's where speculation about all the prod classes being affected is spot on. Many details to be worked out.

It doesn’t matter if the car wouldn’t be competitive. There are lots of “let the lower class run in this class” allowances. And really I think we should be able to run up a class if we chose just for car count sake (run FP in EP if I’m the lone FP and there are more EP entrants for example). But if a GTL legal car would not be faster than an FP car (looks that way from recent runoffs results) then so what. You put a GTL engine into an HP car, now your HP car is a GTL car, runs with FP but isn’t as fast as top FP car. Sure it’s faster than a HP car but it’s now a GTL car. You could have done that before if you wanted to run faster as a GTL. The bad news is for GTL, not prod.

Instead of messing up All the Production classes with engine swapped HP GTL cars and Tube Frame GTL Cars.

Instead of ending up with Less overall entries between the merged class then when the classes are separate.

How about you just leave GTL GTL. And Leave Prod Prod.

Keep GTL alive as a national class.
I don't mind sharing the track at any event including the Runoffs.
However, keep the classes separate. No blending GTL into Production classes. Two races in same session with two champions is fine.

We don't have to chase cars and racers away just to shorten the RunOffs

Last edited:
Back