WMR "Majors at MIS" on 8/21-8/23

Dayle Frame

I am pleased to announce that registration will be open soon for the 2015 WMR Majors at MIS event to be held on 8/22, 8/23. I know its early but I wanted to give everyone a chance to check it out before registration opens in a couple of weeks. The event is visible to the public at www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com.

First an explanation……later registrations have been a cause of much anxiety across all regions. If regions have to guess about car counts, we are forced to overestimate on non fixed expenses (costs that fluctuate with car count such as dinners, driver gifts, trophies, etc.). Nobody wants to run out of food, gifts or have to mail trophies. These extra expenses cost the regions a lot of money. And if it costs the regions money, eventually, it will cost the driver corps more money. We at WMR have always been very aggressive about keeping our costs down (and, as a result, our entry fees) and this year is no exception.

As a result, we are adopting several new policies which we hope guides drivers to enter our events earlier. All of these efforts are taken to allow us to put on the best possible event while holding our costs down and, therefore, keeping your costs down too.

1. We have a non-schedule, schedule. This year we are letting the drivers determine the run order of our class groups. We know the class groups and we have a schedule. But the race group run order has yet to be determined. Here's the deal. Nobody likes to be first or last, right? The first two class groups that sign up 20 drivers get the much coveted "just before lunch" slots on Sunday. So, you and your buddies want to be able to leave earlier? Get them organized and sign up early. After the first two race groups have been determined, the remainder of the schedule will be filled in (the order of the remaining run groups will be selected by WMR so as not to replicate recent run orders). We will finalize the run order no later than 6/30 so that everyone knows their class's schedule well before the event.
2. We are adopting a feature of MSR called "deferred payment". Enter now, pay later. Here's how it works. When you register, you'll need to enter a credit card number. But that credit card will NOT be charged until 8/14 (close of online registration). Mail a check to the registrar and the card won't be charged at all (saving the $25 credit card fee). As always, we never deposit checks until after the event.
3. Two tiered entry structure. Enter on or before 6/30 and the entry is $475 after 6/30 it'll be $525.
4. Entry give away. Anyone entering this event on or before 8/7 is eligible to win an entry.

Further details (supps, class groups, paddock options, etc.) can be found at our region's MSR website (www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com).

As always, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Contact me at [email protected].

Dayle Frame
WMR Race Chair, Competition Manager, Asst RE, all around dude

Woohoo! We've obtained our sanction number and registration is now open. Follow the link above and sign up for what promises to be a great event. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Dayle

Dayle - just wondering, did MIS ever install berms? I really enjoyed running there, but they definitely would've improved it a bit.

Yes, they did curbing this past year. They didn't ask us where to put it so its not exactly placed perfectly....but they did a pretty good job.

No prods signed up yet. Let do it, to it folks and get a descent slot in the schedule.

Dayle

Excellent, should make it a little faster than too with the curbs. Unfortunately my car will be 1400+ miles away, so I won't be any help to your entry numbers. To anyone thinking about it though, I thought the layout was quite fun, and it was the highest speeds I've ever seen on my FP car by about 7-10mph!

kruck":3tu4f4j9 said:
To anyone thinking about it though, I thought the layout was quite fun, and it was the highest speeds I've ever seen on my FP car by about 7-10mph!

Correct......the straight is 35% longer than the front stretch at RA (5500' v 4100') so EVERYONE will see speeds they've never seen before. When we were there in 2013, there we guys from all classes (not just prod) who had told me the same thing. You couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces. And to a Race Chair.....that's gold, baby.

We're at 5 prods, 6 SMs......lets go folks.

Dayle

How fast are the turns?? What gearing were people running here? If I make it, I'm thinking I might want to try a 3.9 in the bugeye...

I didn't run very well (ignition, tranny) last time but I had a 3.7 in her for the loooooong straight. But I have the LP1275 so YRMV. Ask Joel as he ran Daytona with a 948.

Update: prod/GTL 7, SM 6.....keep up the good work folks.

Dayle

Stiner0931":2jzaq1q2 said:
How fast are the turns?? What gearing were people running here? If I make it, I'm thinking I might want to try a 3.9 in the bugeye...

Neither Dayle or I got any real good data, but don't bother bringing any higher numerically gears. I'll probably try the 3.9 with radials and extend the rev range if I can't get a 3.7 together by then. LPHP1275

I have a really tall first gear so there are 2 to 3 first gear turns. T5-T7-T8, T5 is one when I get it right can carry second gear.

Maybe Aaron has some better data and can share his final drive ratio.

It's fast. And has a really slow corner leading into the straight. You have to be able to get out of that well to get the speed at the straight.

Different horses for different courses but a 3.7 is probably good.

Is the last 'cone crazy corner' before the straight going to be fixed ?

Please do not take that wrong. I thought MIS was a lot of fun.

Sterling":1c53c1ac said:
Is the last 'cone crazy corner' before the straight going to be fixed ?

Please do not take that wrong. I thought MIS was a lot of fun.

Yes, we're going to alter the entry to the oval at NASCAR T3. It'll be a chicane to the left but I'm not sure of the exact details yet. We're headed to MIS next month to get things planned out.

Dayle

The car counts are as follows:

Group / Entries
AS, GT1, GT2, GT3, T1 / 1
BSpec, STL, STU, T2, T3, T4 / 2
EP, FP, GTL, HP / 9
F5, FF, FV / 1
FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, P1, P2 / 1
SM / 6
SRF, SRF3 / 2

Good job fellas.....keep up the good work so we insure we get the best slot in the schedule.

Dayle

30 entries so far with a distribution as follows:

Classes Count
AS, GT1, GT2, GT3, T1: 2
BSpec, STL, STU, T2, T3, T4: 3
EP, FP, GTL, HP: 9
F5, FF, FV: 2
FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, P1, P2: 1
SM: 7
SRF, SRF3: 6

If the race were held tomorrow, Prod/GTL would be Group 3 and SM would be Group 4. But the SRF folks aren't too far behind. Do your colleagues a favor and enter as soon as you can to help insure a descent slot in the schedule.

Dayle

Geez....after 38 entries its Prod/GTL, SM and SRF/SRF3 all tied with 10. First two groups to 20 get the best slots in the schedule.

Remember...enter now, pay later (8/14). One free entry to someone who enters between now and 8/7 (drawn randomly). Get in soon to insure a primo paddock spot. There are only so many RV spots and garage stalls left.

Dayle

Since I know that this is an individual preference, what do you consider the best two spots? I want to know when I am having it good.

Ron Bartell":3gjj0afr said:
Since I know that this is an individual preference, what do you consider the best two spots? I want to know when I am having it good.

We have seven race groups. On Sunday, four of them are before lunch. Everybody wants the two slots just before lunch. You don't have to get to the track too early (MIS is in the boonies about 25 minutes from lodging/food) and you're not running after lunch.

This idea was supplied by a driver friend of mine. We had a chat at the Grattan event last summer. I was lamenting about how its hard to get drivers to enter an event earlier. He said that entering the event should be tied to something serious enough to shift the equilibrium. His thought was to allow the first two groups with X entrants should the prime slots in the schedule. I thought it was brilliant. I told him if it worked we name it after him (ie, The Bartell Plan). HQ liked the idea and had no issues with it from a GCR standpoint. If it works well for us, it may become an idea for other regions to try.

There was one other idea we had that HQ liked but didn't allow us to adopt. They wanted the entry giveaway rules to be the same for all events and since races had already started in FL and CA, we were too late. My suggestion was to weight the odds for the random drawing. Enter earlier, get more chances in the drawing. The NBA has a similar idea. If you have a worse record, you have more ping-pong balls in the hopper. Maybe in 2016.

Dayle

Dayle - The only thing I'd worry about with this plan if it became more common, is how it could be "played". What happens if/when a good bit of these early entries withdraw come closer to the actual weekend? I ask, because let's say the Prod group (or whomever) rallies their competitors to "sign up" for all these events early, regardless whether or not they have any intention of actually attending it. Their class/group then gets awarded all the better slots, yet those "number padding" entries just withdraw before having to pay anything. If the class was organized enough, and there was enough "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality to get people willing to do this, I don't think it's real out of the question to believe someone would. If you could, you could damn near guarantee all Prod (who whatever group) races happen at the primo times across the country, all season long.

For example, there's nothing stopping me from signing up for this event to help boost Prod's numbers, and help out the local guys, eventhough there is zero chance that I'll actually be in attendance. If the local guys there were then willing to reciprocate the effort to my local events as well, so that we all benefit, you gotta say it would be a pretty nice scheme to be running.

The only solution I can come up with is to set the actual schedule AFTER the payment/withdrawal deadline, but I don't think that's possible. You can't force people to determine for sure if they're able to make it weeks in advance, or face a forfeiture of entry fees if they don't. And you also can't delay the schedule being announced too close to the event, because people need to make travel and vacation plans well in advance around that schedule. Just thinking out loud...

I wrote this and then decided not to post. But, I see Kevin saw the same as I did.

Dayle, it seems to me that this is like the old Chicago vote now and vote often. What keeps everyone from having their friends register and then withdraw after the slots are filled?

All the SM & SRF guys have to do is post this and they will win by a land slide.

Free cell phones for all!

Back