Wasting my breadth chapter 943

Al Seim":3f34sjdd said:
Bob Hess":3f34sjdd said:
Al... Agree with you on all three counts. After we use up our brand new 948 in our Stamps car we've got a 1275 that goes in our stock style suspension car. Not giving up yet... don't need a wine rack right now anyway. Still don't have a future for a full prep Bugeye other than turning it into an autocross car... or a wine rack. Any ideas?
Bob

Don't forget the hybrid spec - 1275 in full prep chassis.

Al
Pretty hefty weight....

Bob

Some years back I had a similar rsponse from an "Official" when I was looking for a competition adjustment for my Turner. I don't recall the exact words, but I was told I should go race vintage if I wanted to race my Turner. That attitude was a major factor in my selling the Turner and buying an RX7. I'm stubborn and refuse to go away, but tilting at windmills is no fun.

Interesting blog on previous page but, I think they missed a few important things (pardon the ramble)

Today's cars are not a source of inspiration - they are a utility, a mobile sound system
Insurance companies and laws make it difficult to tinker a street car
Auto Shop in High School is a thing of the past
Most of the auto tech schools train nothing but diagnostics and part swapping
Yeah, you can store buy components - wheels, tires, exhausts - kinda like building many of the modern racecars
Can't do this, can't do that - where else but prod and GT is there much in the way of creative fabrication - spec classes and restrictive rules are killing innovation (outside of exotic fuels)

FWIW

When I joined SCCA in 1986 I had been racing karts at a national level for 13 years. I learned to drive in my aunts 1967 Sprite when I was 16, then bought one for myself later on, so the choice of which class I wanted to race in came down to Formula Ford or FP. Ultimately I chose FP because I enjoyed the freedom of tinkering on my car over the strict rules of Formula Ford.

Some guys want to race their engineering talent and pocketbook, some guys get old ,tired and just want race their driving talent .
The full on spec classes are very good and cheaper overall.
The Chumper has many hrs of work in it while the HP car has a lot less. No rules makes for a big expensive mess. IMHO.

With all of us turning cold air into hot on this subject FIAT90FP sums it all up beautifully! Nice stuff Bob!

Bob

I think you should pm "that official" back and suggest that you agree with him somewhat and that they also apparently are not making new Stewards anymore. Tell him that there is a large consensus that we need to immediately move Stewards over the age of 35 to vintage and replace them with more current models LOL. Problem would be that they can't go to vintage. The SCCA Bureaucracy is the only place left for some of these Dinosaurs to play. Vintage and other for profit sanctioners are lean, efficient, and just don't see the need for SCCAs top heavy race administration.

(For the record this is a case of 1% making the other 99% look bad as I love most all the Stewards I have met. If he named himself I would even respect his opinion. Because he won't I hope he is retired from racing very soon)

Curtis,
I'm guessing that this steward is still following this thread so there's no need to pm him. He might even respond to you directly if you ask him nicely. You are right about vintage not wanting any SCCA stewards. I think the vintage oganizers recognize that many of their entrants are fleeing from SCCA and want nothing to do with SCCA official's.

Back