Wasting my breadth chapter 943

Something I sent to the CRB - for your comments please

Folks,
Although not yet chased from SCCA racing, I'm am, indeed, chased from the runoffs. SCCA and SCCA/RA Runoffs advertising tout the opportunity to have a good time with other fellow racers, you tout being able to run one of the worlds great circuits, you tout the great parties - lots of parties, and tout getting to race with the best in your class. I've been racing for over 50 years to win. I always though that the other things now being touted as reasons to go to the Runoffs were simply part of the experience, not the end game. That's sure true for me. Parties, etc do nothing for me if I don't have a chance to win, since I'm not going without any semblance of a chance to win.

My Runoffs experiences started in 1994, late in my racing career which started in 1962 (Driver lisc 1598). I never wanted to go to the Runoffs with no chance of winning, and I had not put together the hard work and money to have a potentially winning car until the early '90s. In the 15 years from my first Runoffs in 1994 to 2008, I had 8 podiums including a win and a pole. What the CRB has been doing in the last few years has been to classify production cars in such a way that gives strong performance preference to a few, (intentionally or not - I'll stay out of the politics). As an example, the result in FP is that it is impossible for a Spridget (or most older cars) to have a chance of competing for the win, or even being in the hunt save praying for a massive first lap accident up front. In my first year at RA I did indeed set a race lap 0.5sec off the fastest race lap, but it was the last lap with dry tanks and when few up front were trying to run fast rather than protected lines. I do appreciate the 50# weight decrease the next year and apologize that I never got to race my class at the Runoffs that configuration, but my testing indicated that 50# was not as significant as it might sound. I had asked for a 100# weight break, but could never have achieved very much more than the 50# w/o starting with a whole new tub and building a less substantial car. And 100# isn't the answer if you see my calculations below.

My 2011 Runoffs were washed out by the long repair period from the 2010 Runoffs qualifying crash and a late 2011 season fuel fire, so I had to pull my 2011 entry. This year I was faced with a choice. I'm a part owner of a 60' steel boat (called a barge) in France, and this year the only dates available were the before and during the Runoffs. After 6 weeks of thought, I chose to bone the Runoffs and go use my boat. Why? Because it has become too frustrating to drive 1700 miles each way and spend 10 days and a zillion dollars trying to finish 6th or 7th. That isn't what racing is or ever has been for me. I've spent a ton of $ over the years to get what's available from the Spridget, but that is no longer enough. I can't get there from here. Racing is to win, not drive around quickly. I can do the latter at open track days at Moroso, 20 minutes from my house.

And I'd venture there is a lot of truth to what I say for the other 6-12 Spridget drivers that might show up were they at all competitive. And that's only FP. How many Spridgets or older competitive cars are there this year or last?
I do believe that in some ways you, the CRB, have been trying to help, but what you have done has worked for the LP subset of cars, the ones with factories that are still open. You haven't helped older cars much. Racing with the older cars could still be better than the situation today if you do some thinking about working differently. Only part of the problem is power, torque and aero are the less addressed problem.

You folks are better than secretaries that open and read mail. You have eyes and brains and can see what is happening. What I think is that you need to be able to be proactive about equalizing cars, rather than waiting for requesting letters. It is a bit silly that one should think they have to always write essentially the same letter to get anyone's attention. Just look at the Runoffs entry/finishing rosters to see who might need some help. Like the cars who are not there? I'm only smart about some things, so I'll use Spridgets as examples. You have to be willing to break some of the long held paradigms that have driven your past decisions. Power to weight ratio is a critical parameter, and I think you make two mistakes here. The first is that you don't first try to balance #/cc as the single most important parameter. Some kinds of motors get more or less power/cc, and some cars handle better, but #/cc has to be the primary metric.
The second is that the problems we have with older cars can only be solved by adding weight to the LP cars to bring the LP torque equation back in line with the full prep cc/# line. We have a real problem running big LP motors with concomitant torque with small full prep motors which produce only HP. Full prep cars can only benefit from weight reductions if we can get the weight out, and I sure can't anymore. Here is the paradigm shift you need to buy into - adding weight broadly across many cars to provide some equalization of cc/# with torque. Balancing the LP big motor torque vs. the full prep small motor HP problem can only be addressed (I think) by broadly adding weight to the LP cars, which will also to help equalize speed at the end of the straight as it lowers acceleration.
For full prep only, as an example of the simple Spridget equality point on #/cc, look at the #/cc disadvantage the Spridget still has compared to the 1500 Spitfire and Lotus, ignoring all other parameters.The Midget is 1.28 and all other full prep cars are lower, [Spit is about 1.17.] The Spridget still is the highest #/cc of full prep cars, so the Spridget would need about 100 lbs off to get to 1.2, but we couldn't benefit from that change because there is no where left to get weight from. And the only way to get more power from the motor is to go to the later larger intake valves, which are worth only ~4HP (because siamesed ports only breath so well).

There are a whole lot of racecars not going to the Runoffs because they are simply outclassed by todays rules. Go do your long division of cc/# as a first approximation, and then look at starting grids and finishing grids at RA and other places. In part I'm selfish about wanting you to address the Spridget inequality, but there are many older cars (full prep, small motors) in the same boat and they can only be helped by adding weight to LP big motor cars, not lowering weight for the full prep cars beyond what is possible. Adding weight is the only way I know to provide more torque/power equality.

H

Harold L. Flescher

Well said Harold.

I have previously, publically on this forum and with letters to the powers that be, stated the need to eqalize competition based on the RunOff track. While Harold is specifically speaking about Midgets, my request encompassed the full range of cars. I was trying to get parity for those of us who raced to have a true chance to WIN the RunOffs. In the last three years I was greeted with "competitive as classed" or a weight reduction that, while nice, really did not do much at Road America.

When we were racing our cars, my singular goal was to win the RunOffs. We came oh so close in 2007 at HPT with the Midget in HP and FP. That was a great year. In 2008 we were highly competitive in GTL and HP. In 2009 we took two cars to Road America and while the Spitfire showed potential in H, the Midget was well of the front runners.

I have come to the conclusion that a great many folks care less if they are really competitive at the RunOffs and they just like to race their cars but I am not one of them. The RunOffs used to be "the best of the best", it has evolved into a money maker and a party where all is welcome........."just come, you will have a great time". "Even if you are more than 10% off the pole and get lapped....that's fine, just come." "It's a beautiful venue with free stuff, just come"

SCCA....How many more do you have to loose till you wake up. YOU ARE LOOSING FOLKS BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHANCE AT THE RUNOFFS. Fix it or continue to watch our number dwindle.

Bill

IMHO, also as stated before, SCCA needs to do one of two things:

Hold the Runoffs at a "typical" track in terms of handling vs top speed balance, which by most opinions RA is not.

or

Allow (at least in special instances) a "Runoffs Only" competition adjustment

The former seems the best idea in the long run, but the latter is certainly possible and seems preferable to losing entire cohorts of long time competitors.

I know H much better than F, but am thoroughly convinced that the H Spridget, if made competitive in H at RA, could run rings around the LP cars at many, more handling oriented and more typical, tracks. This is physics not politics.

Al Seim

I always wanted scca to find out the year before what 10 or so tracks would be available for runnoffs and have a drawing at the end of that years runoffs to decide the next years runoffs location. It is the sports car club of America.

I tried real quick to find runoff track history sheet. How long has it been since the runoffs wasn't at one of the current 3 tracks?

Does anyone have a link to track for each runoffs? Going way back.
At least if we had a drawing set up it might help change things up(no more prepping your car for the same track 4 years straight). Also giving people that are really good at their local tracks a chance win.

The list isn't too long:

Daytona/Riverside alternating '64-'69

Road Atlanta '70-'93

Mid-Ohio '94-'05

HPT '06-'08

Road America '09-present

Hey, Harold. As I sit here in the Florida Keys with my 2 Bugeye H cars I can't agree more. In '03 bought Jon Stamps personal and test mule National car with the idea of trying to get to the runoffs. 2 engines, 2 trannys, lots of support parts, all ready to go. Ran regionals in '04 to sort out the car and rebuild everything. Got to '05 and there were the limited preps and I'm up to my gills in 948s. Previous to that I had tried to get the folks in the "tower" to give us the 1275 and 6 inch wheels. The allowable mods on the engines and chassis immediatly put me in the middle of the pack. Built an almost limited prep autocross 1275 engine for one of the cars. Last year we took it to Sebring to test and ran within 2 seconds of the best 948 time with the Stamps car.... and we did it with the autocross gearbox and a stock style suspension. Put us 2 seconds behind the Honda that wins the class all the time and finishes up with the E and F cars! Yes, Harold, you do not bleed alone.

Bob Hess
"Regional" HP 13 and 49
CFR

I think if you aren't competitive and don't have a shot there are just to many other places to play now. "back in the day" backmarkers filled fields out because that was the only way they could race. IT wasn't even an option. Now if you are beyond being a real contender, you might as well do track days, or Marque club, or Lemons, or Vintage, or now available 1980 full prep Vintage with SVRA and others.

While I am not a fan of this sort of racing (power to weight classification) check this out .....

http://outlaw-vintage-racing.blogspot.c ... g.html?m=1

I am SCCA through and through but this is getting comical. SCCA creates ST to compete with NASA and moves to create very highly modified classes excluding old cars. NASA creates outlaw vintage to counter the SCCAs refusal to classify full prep cars, restriction of GT prep, creation of classes excluding old cars, and then of course frustration by some with some Vintage organizations with restrictive vintage prep.

SCCA is still best game in town. My point is just that potential RunOffs backmarkers like me have other options. I'll be there spectating as usual but wouldn't give up my Mitty experience this Spring nor my track day with friends to compete

I agree totally with Harold. I used to think the BOD or CRB were stupid. At least some of their decisions seemed that way. Finally I decided no one could possibly be that stupid and I accepted the fact their goal was to drive away the older cars and replace them with newer cars. They have succeeded in the first part but not the second part. I'm on the fence about the Runoffs this year. My Midget is sitting here race ready with the best parts I have. Yet, it will be a total waste of time and money to race it at the Runoffs. I'm working on a second car that at least on paper should be competitive but I don't know if I can get it finished in time. If I do finish it there will be no time for any testing.
It's telling that last month Kent Prather choose to go to Road America for a vintage race rather than run the SCCA Majors event at HPT.
And, yes writing letters to the CRB and BOD is just a waste of breath.

racingspridget":1n30ujv8 said:
It's telling that last month Kent Prather choose to go to Road America for a vintage race rather than run the SCCA Majors event at HPT.
Perhaps that's because Mr Prather's class (GTL) wasn't invited to play at the Majors event at HPT, and he wanted to go racing?

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

When the ITB lap records are near the HP LR, Seems like removing 100#, adding some cam should result in a cheap front running HP car.
IE; MY VW is just that. It still has 100% glass, 100% steel. I see 3 more seconds in the car (@ Sebring)easy, with the IT spec compression, flywheel, gear set.

WE have 4000-10,000$ cars running ahead of the old school 50,000$ cars.
I like to win, but not if the little British cars will go away.

Mike,

Check "Run-Offs" entries for last 10 years or so and see how many have already left. Some drivers moved to other classes; cars went to vintage. Probably too late to attract them back.

Although verbose, Harold said it well; not enough practical ways to make small cc, Siamese port. push rod engines competitive with larger cc, overhead cam, cross flow engines, without allowing carbon fiber, tube frame Spridgets into Production classes. He failed to mention 4 speed vs. 5 speed transmissions. Still think this makes a big difference.

Strong argument for G Production (gasp), but that ain't happening.

RJS

A RunOffs spec need not be to "give something", it could easily be "add weight" to achieve parity.

As I said, the very BEST small nimble production cars have no viable chance with the RunOffs at RA. Look who has not been to the RunOffs in FP since moving to RA. No full Huffaker built FP cars, no Saurino, no Chima, no Haynes, no top knotch x19's like Snow and Irwin etc. The list goes on.

Again, not asking to make the old guys cars faster by giving him something. I am asking for parity for a great many marques at a track that favors torque and HP. Weight adjustment is easy for a RunOffs ONLY spec.

SCCA....you reap what you sow.

Bill

Bill, Apparently I wasn't the only one that missed the memo. "SCCA........you reap what you sow." After my first post I recieved a private message from an SCCA official who claimed my post was a "big distortion." I simply stated the facts: there was a vintage race at Road America and a SCCA Majors race at HPT on the same weekend and a certain SCCA national chaimpion choose to attend the vintage race that was 680 miles away rather than attend the SCCA race that was 20 miles away. I don't see what I'm distorting. In a second private message this official states that the SCCA's current low entries is because SCCA is not attracting more new drivers. New drivers can now choose from a number of sanctioning bodies. He goes on to say that owners of old cars should do has Kent has done and build new modern cars. Our old cars belong in vintage racing. SCCA's woes are not caused by the BOD, CRB, or staff. We, the owners of old cars are to blame.... We are supposed to build new cars if we want to be competitive. So I guess the economy is to blame because things are going to have to get alot better before I can afford to build a new car. Especially when the rules change on a monthly basis. I know that technically the rules are fixed for a year but when things like weight, throttle size, and all the other things in Fastrack are changed monthly, the result is the same.

I had the track record at RA in H with my 1300 LP Spitfire which I lowered from 2:48 to 2:46. The 2:48 was the record for a number of years. The front runners are now turning 2:39-2:42......hmmmm all I got was a 50# weight reduction. You can gage my enthusiasm by the fact that after I hit my 25 year membership I have let my membership expire and I haven't competed at RA at the Runoffs.....great job SCCA!

When I attend a vintage race these days, I see all my old SCCA friends, SCCA didn't stop these folks from racing, just from racing with the SCCA. I go to big vintage races I see 300+ entries, I go to SCCA national, maybe 150 entries. MY very first vintage race, by no means a big vintage event, I had 14 cars in my class, when is the last time any of you had 14 cars in your prod class at national event other than the June Sprints, or the Runoffs. At the Mitty I was in a 54 car field.

I'm not one of those folks who now hates the SCCA, so I went vintage racing, I kinda ended up in vintage racing as a very lucky twist. My vintage MGB was prepped to pass SCCA tech for prod, and even has SCCA log book years ago, it was built as a new car, about 5-6 years ago. I recently changed that by removing the side open cockpit roll bars which now would make it not legal for SCCA racing, I spent about 1 second deciding to cut those bars out, and I have no real intentions of racing my vintage MGB in SCCA events, I have plenty of premier vintage events to go to.

Ok, on another topic, the friend I got my vintage MGB from now races a very well prepped SCCA FP Miata, I totally get why folks have made the switch to these cars, and it's not because they are cheaper, I would guess my friend has spent more on his Miata than he ever did his MGB , and both cars have all the good stuff. The FP Miata is alot more maintanence free car, no tuning fuel mixture for weather conditions, his engine managment system does that on the fly, the engine is incredibly reliable, he won like 10-11 races with it this year and not touched the engine, heck there very little reason to even remove the hood during a race weekend. My firiend is a higher tech person than me, and this car fits his style way more than the MGB ever did. I totally get why people want to race this type of car.

With that being said, this is the future of SCCA racing, whether it will be as successful as our era of SCCA racing remains to be seen, probably not, the places , and options to now road race a car is way more plentiful than it was when I first got started, so this alone delutes the SCCA. It would be wonderful for the SCCA to help find out a way to make the old vs new cars be competive with each other, but I don't know if that is truely achievable. For example in this day, and time, how would the CRB go about trying to bring the rest of the field down to "old school" cars, and with so few of them around now on a national basis, why would they even bother.

In closing I still like tinkering with carbs and old school cars, and am very much enjoying vintage racing, the SCCA could learn alot about putting on a premier events like some of the vintage groups are doing, and contrary to popular belief, the racing is very good, and the food and beer is alot better :) , and you get way more track time. I'll be at SCCA event this weekend with my FP Miata racing friend and look forward to it, but with my MGB I will race it where it is more embraced, and where my kind of car are in greater numbers. Not mad, not sad, just moved on, and I'm not alone. I often think what things could have been like if SCCA had embraced vintage racing as another type of venue under their label, but they dropped the ball here, and that ship had already sailed.

1. Vintage and SCCA are apples and oranges. Vintage races are events and happenings all to themselves. SCCA races tend to be points accumulations towards a championship or Runoffs. Outside of June Sprints, identify one SCCA National that has the national name recognition of "The Mitty", "The Historics", BRIC, Sebring Historics, etc. Make individual SCCA races something more than qualifying sessions, and then they might be something to better compare.

2. The idea that racing needs to move with the times and be constantly fed new "metal" is one that has died with the high entry costs required to enter. As proof, I hold up the following two examples. IT was formed, not because we needed another place to run new cars, but because we needed a place to run older SS cars that had aged out and people did not want to scrap their investment, or work to make the jump to P/GT. We further had people who did not want to "step down" to regional, so we extended the SS legal lifespan just to keep car counts up. Not even those guys were bringing in new "metal" every 3 years any more. We even "lost" 2 Showroom Stock classes in the interim, which is 50% of where all that new "metal" should have been entering.

Back