Texas World Speedway, May 22-24

kruck

Kind of surprised registration hasn't opened yet, since we're only a month away. I'm planning on being there with the Integra, and excited to run another new track. Who else is planning on being there? Hoping for a nice, big Prod field to send TWS off into the Texas sunset!

I'll definitely be there in one of the cars. gonna need tires for the RX7 since the S80s only lasted me a weekend before cording 3 of the 4 I mounted for NOLA.

S100's might be the weapon you're looking for. They do amazingly well on the front of my Integra, where they take ~1400lbs axle weight and all the drive.

Might look at them next. I have a pile of bias tires I need to get rid of. one good set with 3 races on them, and then 3 sets of old hard junk that will work for play days..

I'll probably run the bias at MSRH coming up and finish them off. Then start tweaking the alignment for the radials and hopefully have something for TWS. On the radials, it feels like it doesn't have enough camber up front, so I'm washing out on turn-in and then using the gas to rotate the car. hard on tires on both ends of the car. only running about -2 front and -1 rear camber due to the bias setup. guessing I should go to -3.5 or so front and -1 on the rear is probably fine with the solid axle.

As a bit of info, the S80s on the rear never came back after I cooked the crap out of them Sunday at NOLA. They were still bad on the rear when I took the car out for a charity race a couple weekends ago, so I swapped them front/rear. then the car pushed like a pig searching for truffles. I skated around to finish the day a couple seconds off pace, but made the finish driving around on cords.

Tom used to run the Goodyear 430 front and 600 (I think?) rear.. the car would be squirrely at the start trying to get the tires up to temp, then he'd turn them into greaseballs sliding around. I'm hoping that with the alignment changes, I can smooth out corner entry and turn-in which will help on exit as well. Need to get another set of tires and a test day to play with data/temps/pressures/alignment/driving.

Registration has opened. First time I've had to use DLB for an event registration in four years. Apparently only a 2-day double now, instead of the previously reported 3-day. Non-SCCA Test Day on Friday, says upwards of six 20-minute sessions for $195, but isn't totally open passing. :?

Event details - http://sowdivscca.com/2015_TWS_SCCA_Majors.pdf
Event Entry - http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sjr-scca ... entID=5987
Entry List - http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdriv ... entID=5987

Current Entries:
EP
52 - Jon Stautberg - purple 1989 mazda RX7 GTUS - Texas Direct Auto
71 - Matt Reynolds - Silver/Black 1999 Mazda Miata - Reynolds Bro Racing. Vintage Connection. JPM
80 - Matt Blehm - White/Blue 1982 Mazda RX7 - Hoosier, Summit, Hawk
124 - Andrew Robertson - Lime Green/Black 2000 Caterham 7 - Trinity River Associates, TAB Woodlands, Hoosier, Summit

FP
24 - Charles Davis - White/Red 1994 Acura Integra
57 - Kyle Baker - white/blue 1991 Mazda Miata - Dee Autosport, RPM Motorsport
73 - Kevin Ruck - Copper/Black 1990 Acura Integra - Hoosier / Honda Performance Development
88 - Paul Jensen - Black&White 1993 Mazda Miata - Hoosier Tire
08 - William Hingston - Yellow 1990 Mazda Miata - Little Bill Racing/ Jesse Prather Motorsports

HP
87 - Don Couch - Silver 1962 Triumph Spitfire - DON COUCH PHOTOGRAPHY
06 - Tristan Poplin - red/blue 1987 Volkswagen GTI
09 - Randall Smart - White 1982 Fiat X 1/9 - R & R Racing

Updated Entries:
EP
46 - Sydney Davis - Red 1994 Mazda Miata - JAWS Racing/MSR Houston
71 - Matt Reynolds - Silver/Black 1999 Mazda Miata - Reynolds Bro Racing. Vintage Connection. JPM
124 - Andrew Robertson - Lime Green/Black 2000 Caterham 7 - Trinity River Associates, TAB Woodlands, Hoosier, Summit

FP
32 - Neal Frank - Red 1990 Mazda Miata - santafepens.com, Krone, Retro 51, Pilot & Lamy Pen Companies
73 - Kevin Ruck - Copper/Black 1990 Acura Integra - Hoosier / Honda Performance Development
86 - Randy Wagner - Orange 1990 Mazda Miata - Mazdaspeed / Goodyear
08 - William Hingston - Yellow 1990 Mazda Miata - Little Bill Racing/ Jesse Prather Motorsports

HP
87 - Don Couch - Silver 1962 Triumph Spitfire - DON COUCH PHOTOGRAPHY
09 - Randall Smart - White 1982 Fiat X 1/9 - R & R Racing

Only two weeks away!

Updated Entries:
EP
25 - Toby Grahovec - White 2003 BMW Z4 - Classic BMW, HOOSIER
83 - Carl Johnk - blue/yellow 1982 Mazda RX7 - Johnk Engineering, Inc

FP
32 - Neal Frank - Red 1990 Mazda Miata - santafepens.com, Krone, Retro 51, Pilot & Lamy Pen Companies

HP
53 - John Trenery, Jr. - Yellow 1965 Austin Healey Sprite - T&W Racing

Kind of surprised to only get ~160 entrants so far, given that it's the last event ever at TWS.

EP - 8 entries
97 - Paul Pineider - Black 2004 Mazda RX-8 - Pineider, Ford CPA's/Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/RPM/Pinnacle

FP - 7 entries

GTL - 1 entry
04 - Jonathan Goodale - Black 2009 Mazda MX-5 - Hoosier,MazdaSpeed,Bimmerhaus, Robertson Racing Denver Tahoe Tony's Jammin' Jerky

HP - 2 entries

Not much change in the past week, but entry numbers have climbed to 176. Hopefully we get some dry running in, but I'm sure the forecast will change 10 times between now and this Friday.

EP - 9 entries
76 - Mark Buskuhl - Black 1986 Mazda RX-7 - HOOSIER / MAZDASPEED
97 - Paul Pineider - Black 2004 Mazda RX-8 - Pineider, Ford CPA's/Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/RPM/Pinnacle
131 - Aaron Hall - blue 2012 caterham supersport - livechurchsolutions.org

FP - 7 entries

GTL - 1 entry
04 - Jonathan Goodale - Black 2009 Mazda MX-5 - Hoosier,MazdaSpeed,Bimmerhaus, Robertson Racing Denver Tahoe Tony's Jammin' Jerky

HP - 2 entries

Nope. Qualifying for the prod group was dry on Saturday. I qualified 6th, but the changes I made took out more weight than I thought and I was 25lbs under. Start at the back for Saturday.

It started to lightly rain on the out lap for the Saturday race. It was raining at different amounts around the track. Big spin and multiple offs in turn 4 on the first lap and Matt went off between 6-7 on the first lap. The rest of the race was more misty than rain. Full course caution when Toby's Z4 broke a throttle cable (or something related) going into 1-2 and stopped on drivers right just before the yellow box. Had a mad dash to the finish as it was drying on the restart.

Sunday Group 1 Spec Miatas had a wet race with most starting on dry tires as it really wasn't raining but the track was wet. BIG shunt in turn 7-8 with one car going off all the way to the tree line. While stopped another car went off and t-boned him in the passenger door. Pushed the rocker down and bent the door bars in. Driver of second car went to the hospital, don't know his condition.

The prod race was dry. With the Majors qualifying the wet Saturday race didn't help me much as I had to use my wet time and everyone else had a dry Qualifying time, but I moved up from last, 21st, to 17th.

Again, more battling at the beginning then everyone got a little strung out. I was slowly reeling in a Caterham and caught an EP Celica as we entered the front straight. Man, that thing punches a big hole in the air and has some good power, Slingshot engaged...... I was able to draft right up behind him and we caught the Caterham as we got to turn one. Just as I was trying to figure out where to go I see a point from the Celica and he moved right giving me the line.

As the caterham went into turn 3 I saw it spin wildly in my mirror. When I came around next lap he either lost an oil line or dumped the motor and we got another full course caution. Track crew did a great job cleaning up the mess and we got a green, white, checkered finish. Not sure what happened at the restart, but Hingston got by Ruck and held him off for the final 2 laps. The EP cars ahead of me got a good start and my little ponies couldn't keep up down the straight with them.

Fun track and I can't wait to go back next year.

A few clarifications to Jon's post..
On Sat's first lap, Buskuhl and Pineder both spun in T4 both in front and behind me. Kinda cool to replay the video and see two black RXs slowly pirouetting in both my windshield and mirror... Hall spun going into 6 and did a full 360, tapping Robertson in the LR corner. Hall had some cosmetic damage and a pinhole in his radiator which he found after the race. it was luckily high enough on the radiator that he didn't bleed out during the race and do more damage. Robertson only damaged a "wing" (LR fender for the rest of the world), but it didn't slow him down any as he went on to win the race.

Reynolds spun in T8 on the opening lap, and he came back by me around T2 on lap 2- I just got out of the way and tried to follow. (didn't work!)

A couple laps later, Grahovec's throttle cable adjuster "thingy" came loose, causing an FCY to pull him off track. Toby said they all but welded it in place for Sunday and his throttle cable definitely worked then!

After the caution to clean up, Hall and I had a decent battle for 3rd place and we traded places a couple times. Typical Caterham, he could corner better in the back section, and get around me in braking, then I would reel him in on the straights, passing him just after S/F line. We got a white flag and I turned up the wick a little bit as the dry line was forming. Same deal on this lap, but I was able to stay close enough to him that I took a really late entry into 13-14-15 as he tried to enter shallow and brake late to keep me behind.. It backfired for him as I was able to pour on the power right at the exit of 15 while he was still trying to make the turn. I had 50ft on him by start finish, but no flag!??! (white flag must have been a slow car?) When we got to turn 1, there was a car parked at pit out that I didn't see before, so at this point I'm guessing we still have two laps to go and keep my foot down. Hall assumes the same thing, as I see him catching up at the exit of T2, but then he puts two off on the exit and spins behind me. I never see waves from any of the corner stations, so I again assume race is still on and keep my head down. Got the checker the next lap, and then get to impound and hear the commotion. Evidently Robertson took the checker first, then the checker was pulled in for Reynolds, Ruck, Hingston, Hall, and myself.. Checker came back out for the rest of the field just behind us..

The first checker obviously stood, and Robertson got the victory. Reynolds 2nd, I 3rd.

In FP, Ruck was 1st with Hingston 2nd. that's all I know of that race since I didn't follow much more.

Sunday........
Group 1 (Spec miata) went out on a wet track with puddles, but no rain..
The wreck was William "Willy" Keeling and Lee Thomas. Thomas had gone off a previous lap and was stuck, Keeling went off and nailed him in the door (RUMOR has it Keeling had help getting off track, but that's only paddock talk.) Keeling fractured two vertebrae and had surgery to repair it on Monday. He is full of titanium bits now, but there is no risk of paralysis now and he is expected to make a good recovery. He does have a long road ahead, so keep him and his wife in your prayers/send good vibes. He's gonna need 'em.
I saw Lee walking around in the tech shed after the race and he looked to be hurting, but was at least still walking around and riding a bike.

For the Prod race, the track was almost completely dry put still had some wet spots from the seams and a couple small puddles in the low spots. Green track so it was slow, but it was at least dry. On the start, Reynolds and Grahovec hit the go button and left everyone else behind. Ruck and Hingston were going at it just behind them, then Hall, Robertson, Buskuhl, and I all spent some time fighting for 3rd with Goodale's GTL poking his nose in on the first lap for a few turns. Robertson got out and then started walking away. After a couple laps, I got out of the fray and started gapping Hall and Buskuhl, slowly reeling in Robertson.

Move on a couple laps and Hall lost his engine in T3, putting windows in both sides of the block. There was a 3 lap FCY for cleanup and then we got a green-white-checker finish.

At this point, the first 10 cars behind the safety car included at least 4 lapped cars. (I would have felt more comfortable had they all been given a 'lucky dog' wavearound, because the GWC finish was indeed a mad dash.) Most of the lapped traffic did good to make room and let us through, but a couple cars were much wider than needed and nearly caused some carnage not watching their mirrors.

After the FCY, Robertson's handling was going off and I was able to chase him down and get by him for 3rd with a lap to go, then pulled a solid couple seconds on him by the end of the race. I could just barely see Hingston and Ruck going at it a few seconds in front of me, with Hingston just edging him out at the checker.

So two 3rd place finishes for me with Reynolds, Robertson, and Grahovec all in front of me on the podium. That's pretty quick company for around here, so I'm happy just to be on the podium!

Matt, forgot about the checkered on Saturday.

I came around and got the white flag, still strange seeing that. Next lap I come around and get the checkered. I'm waving at the workers, and I get nothing. My thought, I hear everyone in Texas is so nice and I can't get one of them to wave back, weird.

I come down pit road and pull into impound, I'm the only one there. First thought, did I do a Mark Martin and pull in a lap early?? The Spec Miata race earlier got 2 white flags, then the checker. Crap. After others showed up I find first place got the checker, then they pulled it and waved it again for me and everyone behind me.

Not sure what the deal was, but it looks like they had some problems with figuring when to finish the timed races.

Still a good weekend and can't wait to go back next year.

Back