SPDiv Nationals

I guess you can tell that even with the bias bar turned all the way to "F", I was struggling with way to much rear brake bias. The run down off the banking into turn one knowing the rear would lock way before the front is significant "pucker factor" to say the least.

This was the first time out with rear disc instead of drums. Thought I had done the math right but apparently not, or maybe the 200 pounds of ballast that had to be added for the move from G to H, or even the move to radial tires, changed things up? Out of desperation I intentionally bled air into the rear lines and even soaked the rear rotors up with WD40 for Sunday. It worked for the first part of the race but I think over time using the brakes bled the air out and heat burnt the WD off as I was struggling with it again by mid race.

Awsome video makes it clear you deserved to finish 1st. Congrats again Jason.

Curtis, I made the switch to rear disc brakes many years ago and had to put an adjustable pressure regulator valve in the line to the rear brakes to get a decent balance on the brakes.

It sounds like you guys were letting up going into turn 1. I may be giving my secrets away but with the proper line you should be able to come off of the oval into turn one flat out then immediately get the car straight and start braking. This does take very good brake balance and good timing but can do a lot to reduce lap times. If you get it wrong though it can be a scary ride.

Curtis":2enac0wp said:
I guess you can tell that even with the bias bar turned all the way to "F", I was struggling with way to much rear brake bias. The run down off the banking into turn one knowing the rear would lock way before the front is significant "pucker factor" to say the least.

This was the first time out with rear disc instead of drums. Thought I had done the math right but apparently not, or maybe the 200 pounds of ballast that had to be added for the move from G to H, or even the move to radial tires, changed things up? Out of desperation I intentionally bled air into the rear lines and even soaked the rear rotors up with WD40 for Sunday. It worked for the first part of the race but I think over time using the brakes bled the air out and heat burnt the WD off as I was struggling with it again by mid race.

Awsome video makes it clear you deserved to finish 1st. Congrats again Jason.

All of the above. :lol: That thing looked like a handful from behind.

Gary Wittman":2uzgq7in said:
Curtis, I made the switch to rear disc brakes many years ago and had to put an adjustable pressure regulator valve in the line to the rear brakes to get a decent balance on the brakes.

It sounds like you guys were letting up going into turn 1. I may be giving my secrets away but with the proper line you should be able to come off of the oval into turn one flat out then immediately get the car straight and start braking. This does take very good brake balance and good timing but can do a lot to reduce lap times. If you get it wrong though it can be a scary ride.

I only did it once... Felt like I was catching air over the transition, not fun in a tippy car.

Gary, I can imagine turn one flat in a 1740# 1098 Spridget. They have me ballasted up for HP to 185 pounds heavier than the Yaris, and 440 pounds heavier than your Spridget. It has an unvented front rotor and my request for comparable wheel width was turned down so still on 6" wheels. The car could go through turn one flat without any problem but no way is it ever going to get slowed down under braking in time to make turn 2.

I love the video Jason, even if I am less than impressive in it. I am still not sure if the spin was driver error, driver error augmented by the rear brakes locking, or a combination of all the above ultimately triggered by the ignition suddenly going dead. The pulley carrying the trigger wheel for the ignition had loosened enough to dig into the pickup and the ignition would not fire at all so that is why it would not restart. However it happened you clearly kicked my butt again on Sunday. I'll try to practice some before we meet again.

Jason, are you running the 13" bias slicks this year, as shown on the car in the SEMA pics ?

Back