SPDiv Nationals

JasonIsley99

Blinn seems to be slacking with the roll call thread. :lol:

PHX looks like it should have a good EP turnout, with 4 cars so far. FP and HP only sporting one.

Fontana has two in FP and two in HP... Including the return of Wittman after a year off.

Jason@SportsCar":3m8muh7n said:
Blinn seems to be slacking with the roll call thread. :lol:
Is it time to go racing again? Shoot, I thought I still had a few more weeks to eat Christmas cookies and slurp up more egg nog.

Phoenix - another "new to me" schedule. Sat-Mon (MLK day), but Sat AM is testing, practice for Nat groups 1-5/1 restricted Reg group starts at 1pm. Sun and Monday both have a 20 min qual in the AM, then races after lunch. So get home late Monday, then back on the track Friday at 1pm for Calif Speedway. I know the back-to-back is good for those who travel a distance and trying to get some early points, but less exciting for those of us that are still in hibernation mode.

Good to see Keith Gillespie back out on track, now in a EP Prelude.

E Production 4 entries
7 Nelson, Doug 1985 Porsche 944 Nelson Builders, Dr U Tucson, AZ
23 Gillespie, Keith 1992 Honda Prelude Hasport Performance Tempe, AZ
51 Karlson, Roger 1963 Elva Courier Carpinteria, CA
63 Malone, James 1986 Porsche porsche 944 Brighton Motorsports, John James Racing Mesa, AZ

F Production 1 entries
36 Powers, Sean 1993 Mazda Miata thearmsforces.org, Jesse Prather Motorsports Peoria, AZ

H Production 1 entries
43 Markos, Cory 1986 Honda Civic Si Cooper Htg & Air Riverside, CA

GT-Lite 1 entries
33 Bower, John 1995 Nissan Sentra Granada Hills, CA

BLinn":26yfdpf5 said:
Is it time to go racing again? Shoot, I thought I still had a few more weeks to eat Christmas cookies and slurp up more egg nog.

Phoenix - another "new to me" schedule. Sat-Mon (MLK day), but Sat AM is testing, practice for Nat groups 1-5/1 restricted Reg group starts at 1pm. Sun and Monday both have a 20 min qual in the AM, then races after lunch. So get home late Monday, then back on the track Friday at 1pm for Calif Speedway. I know the back-to-back is good for those who travel a distance and trying to get some early points, but less exciting for those of us that are still in hibernation mode.

As wacky as the PHX schedule is, it is way better than three days at the track for the one natl race in Fontana. :shock: Not that it makes a difference to me... We have a Sony event with the Yaris the 25-26, and I have been told that if I take the Yaris out of the garage for Fontana to just keep driving. :ask:

Jason

That answers my question on why I haven't seen you entered yet. Hopefully we'll see you at Willow next month.

Craig

BLinn":1lb83amd said:
Good to see Keith Gillespie back out on track, now in a EP Prelude.

E Production
23 Gillespie, Keith 1992 Honda Prelude Hasport Performance Tempe, AZ
Woohoo, it's alive! 8)

Good luck, Keith!

I am going to make the long trek to hopefully nicer weather in AZ.

Hprod if the ballast shows up in time. Fprod or GTL if not. Hopefully one of these classes will have another entry so one of you guys can qualify to win some tires.

I am excited to be racing again after a few years off due to my business slowing down some.
We had a good year in 2010 and I hope others did as well too.
(Does that make me an economic indicator? I hope so.)
While I am happy to be racing at Phoenix International Raceway this coming weekend I am super excited to be racing at Willow Springs next month, now there's a fun track!

Plus one for HP at PHX. Got some new stuff to "try out" on the HP car, so I have to go "test" before our big event. :wink: At least I will have a week to fix whatever I break.

Fontana is a no go for the Toyota, but maybe I will dust off the SSC car.

For me on my old 600 Goodyears it was pretty cold for the 8:30 AM qualifying sessions but perfect weather for the !:00 PM races.
I was fortunate enough to win in EP both days, Sean Powers won FP both days and Jason@sportscar won HP both days.
It was a pleasure meeting everyone that came in from out of town.
From my seat, the only real drama during the races were when they went from several laps under yellow to the green/last lap board to finish todays race. I don't think anyone hit anyone else but it was exciting to say the least. We were with the spec racer fords and I am sorry to say I don't have any video. The spec racer ford guys were great, the issue was seeing their cars in a jam-packed last lap dash for the finish. I could only see the ones in front of me, I hope I didn't almost run over any of the ones next to or behind me.

As Keith said, the SRF guys were easy to race with. The split start on Saturday meant the field was thinned out before they caught us, and on Sunday SRF got to be the lead pack with a split start, so traffic was not much of an issue.

In HP I got the pole and won both races, but Curtis Wood had his Alfa moving, and set fast lap both days :applause: (a quicker lap than the one that got me the pole on Sunday). We had some good racing, particularly on Sunday. Wood was coming after me and I knew if I tried to hold him off I was going to burn up my tires, I let him by with the idea of trying to get him near the end of the race, but only a few laps later an ignition problem took him out. Cory Markos brought his Honda home third on Sat and second on Sun, fighting a weak clutch all weekend... He will be even quicker this weekend at Fontana, as reports are the IT spec motor is coming out of the car in favor of something with HP. :shock:

KeithG":2u1hk1np said:
For me on my old 600 Goodyears it was pretty cold for the 8:30 AM qualifying sessions but perfect weather for the !:00 PM races.
I was fortunate enough to win in EP both days, Sean Powers won FP both days and Jason@sportscar won HP both days.
It was a pleasure meeting everyone that came in from out of town.
From my seat, the only real drama during the races were when they went from several laps under yellow to the green/last lap board to finish todays race. I don't think anyone hit anyone else but it was exciting to say the least. We were with the spec racer fords and I am sorry to say I don't have any video. The spec racer ford guys were great, the issue was seeing their cars in a jam-packed last lap dash for the finish. I could only see the ones in front of me, I hope I didn't almost run over any of the ones next to or behind me.
Congrats, Keith! Now we just need to get you out there on some new Hoosier R100 radials. I bet on something like an EP Prelude they'll make a world of difference, as those front tires take one hell of a beating.

Corey, Jason, and especially AZ region. Thanks for a really great time. If you were a little closer or gas a lot cheaper I would definately plan to do it again.

I could almost see that little car over my hood. :lol:

5368759234_252529ec09_z.jpg

Jesse. Thanks. It felt good.

Jason. I could see the back of the Yaris no problem. It was getting a front or side view that was near impossible

What kind of times were you guys running? Seeing the pictures makes me wish I had included PIR in my schedule this year. That is/was a good track for our low powered good handling cars.

Gary Wittman":2xytab7b said:
What kind of times were you guys running? Seeing the pictures makes me wish I had included PIR in my schedule this year. That is/was a good track for our low powered good handling cars.

HP: Sat Qual 1:13.367 (me), Race 1:13.989 (Wood). Sun Qual 1:13.808 (me), Race 1:13.517 (Wood).

I thought the track was way to slow for my torqueless machine. :(

Back