Runoffs location poll

I've only been to the runoffs 4 times now. I like RA or Indy a lot; it'd be nice to go back to either to see if car improvements I've done all year actually worked. Actually it'll just be nice to go back to the track again next year.

I'm thinking COTA in february, but if they announce the runoffs there for 2024 it's a define yes.

If Daytona, I'm going to have to think long and hard about next steps. I'm racing a couple more years and I've grown to enjoy the runoffs, but if I don't want to drive to either VIR or Daytona, it may be time to move on. The local NASA chapter has lots of turnout now and there's a place for my car... which was one of the many reasons I chose it in the first place.

Not trying to change anyone's opinion on where the runoffs should be, but life is what it is for me.

I suspect the decision has already been made and all we're waiting for is final negotiations, a contract, and a deposit check. Traditionally we've gotten the news right after the prior Runoffs, so there's some delay...

My predictions, in order of probability, is:

- Road America. Always been welcoming to us and the events are super. Seems to be the fallback when we're not sure where to go.
- Mid Ohio. Not one of my favs but, as above, they've been welcoming and historically can handle the event.
- Daytona. Not much going on there in September/October and has the facilities for an event of our size. And we could prob tie it up for two years.

Least likely:

- VIR. We've been there, done that for two years and Topeka pledged to move it every two years. Otherwise we'd prob stay.
- Indy. Doubt we can tie up that track for two years in a row. And with gradually decreasing participation (the "I want to race Indy!" itch getting scratched) I'm not sure we can afford to.
- COTA. Does not have the facilities to handle 750-ish teams, rigs, and hangers-on for the Runoffs.
- Any of the other small tracks you'd all love to go to but can't in any way, shape, or form handle the Runoffs.

Note these are predictions, not desires. But we should have a solid answer soon...Eric... - GA

Personal guess:

Pittsburg International Race - PittRace -- BeaverRun

Why.

Track ownership ties with VIR

Jesse P and Eric P both made the 14 hour journey there to race and check the place out..

Sterling":1f4jgetx said:
Personal guess: Pittsburg International Race - PittRace -- BeaverRun.
That's actually not a bad guess. I think the facility could handle a Runoffs-sized event.

However, I personally have doubts about the Runoffs going there primarily because they lost their Super Tour; it got moved to the west coast. There are varying rumored reasons why, but Steel Cities Region was not onboard and is not pleased with that decision.

We expect to have a Majors there in April. Northeast Conference schedule to be confirmed soon.

GA

The HP Invitational will be at Pitt next season... would be a great dry run to see how non-NEDIV people like the track/facility. Hoping to get 40+ H cars!

HP Invitational at Pittrace sounds good!

I think/heard that MidO has lost their IMSA race over the paddock creature comforts so maybe a return for the Runoffs is possible.

Protech Racing":r5upy6ee said:
Does Pitt have enough paved parking?
Paved? We don't need no steenkin pavement! In fact, my team prefers grass (as do many others). You've been in Florida too long; you've forgotten that grass does not necessarily equal swampland (VIR April '19 notwithstanding...) ;)

I'd suggest PittRace's paved area is comparable, if not larger, than what we had at Indy. And there's a lot of adjacent grass areas, as well as a go-kart track we could take over. Managed well, it could work.

But while not impossible, I'd still be surprised if that's the venue for '24/'25.

GA

The entire paddock is a parking lot at Pitt. And the VDA could be used as overflow. I think it's more than adequate. The bigger issue is bathrooms/showers. Not enough for 700 cars, crew, workers, etc.

" Northeast Conference schedule to be confirmed soon."

Greg,
Lets hope next years schedule is far more considerate with respect to spacing between events.
IMHO, the 2022 schedule was an abomination with three races in one month (April), and two(2) of the three (3) remaining races back to back (NJMP/Thompson).
I find that as a production class driver one,two or even three day turnarounds are pretty damn hard(as I get older) and damn near impossible if you have any "issues" following the previous race.

Regards
Tom Burdge
FP#50

mcfoo":2lci5zal said:
Lets hope next years schedule is far more considerate with respect to spacing between events.
IMHO, the 2022 schedule was an abomination with three races in one month (April), and two(2) of the three (3) remaining races back to back (NJMP/Thompson).
100%. Let's not forget that my Runoffs race season almost ended at the VIR T14 wall in April, when I wrecked the STU car. I was not signed off by the docs until mid-June (and that was a stretch) at which point fully 2/3 of the Majors season was already gone. I had to scramble to finish races in the last two Majors plus two Regionals to get that HP car into the field...along with making good on a promise to my wife for a two week vacation in Hawaii to celebrate our 25th anniversary...

To say I was "mildly unimpressed" with our 2022 schedule is a mild understatement.

As such, I can offer that your points have been the major discussion with this year's scheduling. And I can also offer that the participating regions have made impressive leaps in recognition of that and compromising toward that goal.

The schedule is embargoed until it's all nailed down -- soon, maybe one or two weeks -- but I am very confident you will agree it is better in 2023. Not perfect, but better.

News when it's all worked out.

GA

Same shit in the SEDiv. Schedule is done in July and honestly, it's really done at VIR in April.

Fix that shit.

Jeffyoung":1je0k313 said:
Same shit in the SEDiv. Schedule is done in July and honestly, it's really done at VIR in April.

Fix that shit.

Two problems with scheduling in the SE: (1) the Runoffs and (2) you race during the winter. SE works on an Oct - Sept schedule so scheduling needs to be completed before the 'season' starts. NE (and GL and CEN) work on a Mar - Oct schedule so scheduling can continue later in the calendar year.

Drivers in SEDiv have told us over and over they do not want to race in the summer heat. Thus, a schedule that's spreads out the Majors races. A far as VIR, some other sanctioning bodies wanted the dates NCR had and away they went including SCCA Runoffs in October.

Join the other 400 plus drivers who race in Florida in January when most everyone else is shut down.

for me anyway in the sediv, our season begins at the runoffs and ends in april at vir. then we prep during the summer for the runoffs and start again. Only time we get 3-4 months off (from majors/supertours). And if you are complaining about not running down here in the summer, there is a race in july at road atlanta you should try. its not called the july fry for nothing.

Greg Amy":2d8ztgjo said:
The schedule is embargoed until it's all nailed down -- soon, maybe one or two weeks -- but I am very confident you will agree it is better in 2023. Not perfect, but better.
:lol: I guess the embargo is moot, given it appears that SCCA has already published it on their pages. Which is quite interesting given the final meeting to solidify the last bits of the schedule didn't happen until last night...oh well, fortunately it came out as predicted. :roll:

NORTHEAST CONFERENCE

April 1-2: Summit Point Motorsports Park; Washington DC Region; Summit Point, WV
April 7-9: VIRginia International Raceway (Super Tour)
April 29-30: Pittsburgh International Race Complex
May 20-21: Pocono Raceway
June 2-4: Watkins Glen International (Super Tour)
July 15-16: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt
August 18-19: Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (Fri/Sat)

https://www.scca.com/pages/2023-majors-schedule

For the Northeast, you'll notice the following significant changes:

- Pocono is back on the schedule, two weeks prior to the WGI Super Tour. We lost Pocono last year because it was the week immediately prior to the adjusted WGI date, but NNJR negotiated an earlier week to have some time buffer to WGI;
- PittRace is no longer a Super Tour, but was able to secure a date for a Majors at the end of April;
- WDCR offered incredible resilience to offer PittRace its traditional slot in April, and accepted an early April date for their own Majors;
- NER agreed that back-to-back weekends in July were a burden, and offered to move their Majors to mid-August to become the final Runoffs qualification event for our Conference.

So we will have seven total events in the Northeast Conference: two Super Tour and five Majors. We're still a bit front-loaded with events in April, but the rest of the racing season is smoothed over with one event each in the months of May through August.

Many many thanks to all region leaders that came together for the 2023 season to make this happen!

GA

chois":u3xcs6fp said:
Looks like Glen is moved earlier in June, which is nice because it becomes more feasible to do that AND June Sprints.
It was that way in 2022.

2022 Sprints Super Tour got moved to the traditional WGI Super Tour weekend, so Topeka moved WGI to the weekend after Memorial Day.

Problem was, Memorial Day weekend is - well, "was" - the traditional Pocono Majors weekend. Given Pocono would be three days prior to load-in for WGI test day, NNJR declined to take that financial risk, so we lost Pocono in '22.

Fortunately, NNJR was able to snag the date a week earlier to give them some breathing room. Pocono is back (it's actually a fun track to drive).

Schedule dominos and tracks spinning the wheel of fortune. It's a real thing. Think about that next time you complain about the schedule... ;)

GA

Back