Road Atlanta Super Tour

Just to be clear here- the production spec line for the GR86 is EP, not FP.

The thought that anyone in SCCA would allow someone to enter this car in FP is comical and depressing at the same time.

These run in TCA, not real fast. Just a little faster than SM . It should have a drop in class some where. STU or T 3 maybe
I have 100% total confidence that it will get classed correctly .
The initial cost was $k125 including a season entry, or something like that. At 90K its not a bad deal if you like the Subby POS flat engine , weak gear box, etc.
I was hoping for the Yaris GR with a cage/race package.

blamkin86":1l3o2oom said:
Yes, but the "GR86 Cup" is not classified. Nor is it likely to be*, given:

"The GR86 Cup car modifications include Bosch engine management, custom Borla exhaust, SADEV 6-speed sequential transmission, Alcon brakes, JRI adjustable shocks, OMP safety equipment, roll cage, carbon fiber rear wing, 22-gallon fuel cell, TGRNA designed MacPherson strut, Stratasys custom bodywork, a TGRNA designed splitter, and more."

https://www.toyota.com/racing/tgrna/gr-cup

*(Edit: sorry, it was quite foolish of me to make such a declaration before I checked first to see if any of the rulesmakers have a buddy with one. I'll have get back to you on that...)

Greg Amy":aown8fj3 said:
blamkin86":aown8fj3 said:
Yes, but the "GR86 Cup" is not classified. Nor is it likely to be*, given:

"The GR86 Cup car modifications include Bosch engine management, custom Borla exhaust, SADEV 6-speed sequential transmission, Alcon brakes, JRI adjustable shocks, OMP safety equipment, roll cage, carbon fiber rear wing, 22-gallon fuel cell, TGRNA designed MacPherson strut, Stratasys custom bodywork, a TGRNA designed splitter, and more."

https://www.toyota.com/racing/tgrna/gr-cup

*(Edit: sorry, it was quite foolish of me to make such a declaration before I checked first to see if any of the rulesmakers have a buddy with one. I'll have get back to you on that...)

That was my point, I knew that the std car was in EP but was wondering how in the hell the Cup version ended up in FP.

I sent a message through the MotorsportsReg site that this car was listed incorrectly so we will see where this goes.

SilverYota":s46f6o1y said:
Does adding "Cup" to the name of a vehicle somehow make it faster?? Doesn't seem to work for Global MX-5 Cup cars classed in EP as they can easily be outrun by a FP or GTL cars.

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_f...00/066/310/Grp 3 Sun Race Grid.pdf?1676216962

If you don't like the classing rules, you can try sending a letter. http://crbscca.com/

Here's the response last time I asked a question:

"But again, it is ultimately the competitors responsibility to defend the legality of their car versus the rules and how they are written"

I don't know, maybe "it should not be competitive" is a reasonable defense.

SilverYota":1pqg2dvf said:
Does adding "Cup" to the name of a vehicle somehow make it faster?? Doesn't seem to work for Global MX-5 Cup cars classed in EP as they can easily be outrun by a FP or GTL cars.

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_f...00/066/310/Grp 3 Sun Race Grid.pdf?1676216962
It depends. How good is the drier?

the GR86 Cup car vs. a stock GR86 is a pretty big upgrade in parts and speed.
The MX5 Cup car vs. a stock MX5 is not quite as much an upgrade.

Just pulling COTA race results also tells enough of the story:
2019 MX5-Cup: Fastest race laps are in the 2:30 and 2:31 ranges for the top 6. Qual times were 2:31 or less for the top 10. The bottom of the field were racing at 2:40.
EP track record (Matt Reynolds, 2020): 2:29.4
FP Record (Sam Henry, 2023): 2:31.3
GTL (Peter Shadowen, 2017): 2:32
STU (David Fiorelli, 2020): 2:29.5
MX5 Cup cars were running in T3 in the 2:35 range two weeks ago.

So a well driven MX5C should be between EP and FP times, but a "normally driven" one will be in the way for FP. "The car is appropriate as classed"

This GR86 Cup car is lacking power for STU, but otherwise prepped similarly to a top-flight STU car with the aero, brakes, motorsport ECU and ABS, sequential trans. It's got too much of "everything" for STL. engine, aero, brakes, wheels are all too big. It doesn't fit in Prod in any way, shape, or form, and it's way too slow for GT3.

I got a response back from the registrar and the car got moved to STU but there is not a spec line there either that I can find.

harvey":2odzhcgc said:
I got a response back from the registrar and the car got moved to STU but there is not a spec line there either that I can find.
STU does not have car spec lines. The car will be weighed based on displacement and other installed equipment...

Brakes exceed STU limits by 1 mm, I don't think anyone will get incensed about that...18x8 wheels and 245 tires are compliant, though they'll need to swap to DOTs from the Conti slicks...rear wing might require the 5% "advanced aero" penalty...2.4L=2560 +5% = 2,688#, back-of-napkin. Listed spec for the race car is 2,770 so it should be OK there.

Hope someone either has checked the cage for SCCA compliance and/or applied for an FIA cert logbook. This is the kind of stickler stuff that gives SCCA black eye. Not that I disgree with it, mind you, but I'd rather have someone shepherding these folks through this process rather than their figuring it out at the track. - GA

https://www.gr86.org/attachments/2023-g ... pdf.15392/

Greg Amy":lr6jdey7 said:
harvey":lr6jdey7 said:
STU does not have car spec lines. The car will be weighed based on displacement and other installed equipment...

Brakes exceed STU limits by 1 mm, I don't think anyone will get incensed about that...18x8 wheels and 245 tires are compliant, though they'll need to swap to DOTs from the Conti slicks...rear wing might require the 5% "advanced aero" penalty...2.4L=2560 +5% = 2,688#, back-of-napkin. Listed spec for the race car is 2,770 so it should be OK there.

Hope someone either has checked the cage for SCCA compliance and/or applied for an FIA cert logbook. This is the kind of stickler stuff that gives SCCA black eye. Not that I disgree with it, mind you, but I'd rather have someone shepherding these folks through this process rather than their figuring it out at the track. - GA

I knew there were no spec lines but I thought the engine had to be listed but I see that is just alternate vehicle configurations

harvey":1vilt9yh said:
Greg Amy":1vilt9yh said:
harvey":1vilt9yh said:

I knew there were no spec lines but I thought the engine had to be listed but I see that is just alternate vehicle configurations
that's correct.
For a while they were also allowing specific cars from other places (say recent world challenge cars) on a spec-line basis, plus specific alternate engines- like some of the JDM Honda and Nissan stuff. Since I never owned or considered one of those cars, I quit looking at that section of the book.

I sent the driver an email and told him he had entered a car not eligible for FP. Glad to hear he fixed it before getting to the track. It would involve way too much changes there.

FP Racer":2wdu3t3e said:
I sent the driver an email and told him he had entered a car not eligible for FP. Glad to hear he fixed it before getting to the track. It would involve way too much changes there.

I agree and that is the main reason I started this thread and sent a email to the regisrtar

So about the actual event now...

...a nice Prod field shaping up in all three classes. 25 entries, and no B-Spec in the Prod group. Almost makes me second guess not going.

kruck":2b3987b2 said:

...a nice Prod field shaping up in all three classes. 25 entries, and no B-Spec in the Prod group. Almost makes me second guess not going.

Just wait. you'll get a couple B Specs and a ragged old HP that shouldn't be allowed near a race track without wearing a diaper. The B Specs will collide with one of the backmarker FP drivers and cause a FCY while the HP oils down the track before pulling in on lap 5. Half the field will be stuck behind a rotary during the FCY and everyone's eyes will be watering so bad from the fumes they will cause another wreck when the field goes green again.

There I said it. sorry not sorry.

Where did all the HP entries go? Saw 11 entered but only five qualified- did I miss something?
EZ

Matt93SE":126ur8bw said:
kruck":126ur8bw said:

Just wait. you'll get a couple B Specs and a ragged old HP that shouldn't be allowed near a race track without wearing a diaper. The B Specs will collide with one of the backmarker FP drivers and cause a FCY while the HP oils down the track before pulling in on lap 5. Half the field will be stuck behind a rotary during the FCY and everyone's eyes will be watering so bad from the fumes they will cause another wreck when the field goes green again.

There I said it. sorry not sorry.

We actually ran an entire race in the Prod group without a Full Course, black flag or red. I was impressed and Mark Weber and I had a blast today

Q1 was damp track with light drizzle to start . Dried as we went to grid. Ogren went out on wets, Perry went dry . Maybe 10 cars ran Q1.
Q2 was dry, most took a lap or more. A couple of cars were dead in the paddock.
R1 was uneventful. A few cars pulled in at 4- 6 laps. 1 Honda, a couple of LBC . etc.
A stray EP car started racing with Perry and Ogren, making our race difficult . Big picture is that we had not the pace of Perry . Our fairly loose setup for Sebring /concrete was way too loose for the high speed pavement . Michael actually lifted at the down hill . Whoops. Still, just happy to keep sight of Will in his rocket fast Honda . Well done Will and crew.
Changed to full tight setup and it is raining . Mounted rains last night .
Sunday, The first 2 races have produced about 10 laps total .

Back