Road Atlanta Super Tour

Stiner0931":13ruv2jq said:
Makes as much sense as a 2L in HP... :D
Wait a sec...2L engines are allowd in HP now???

(Says the guy wth the 2L air-cooled VW Bus engine that has been denied entry into HP...twice...I reckon that 55-yr-old technology is just a bit too new for the class...) :lol:

What would a '23 GR run in? STU? - GA

STU looks like the appropriate place for the car. it's got a "standard" aero package with wing and splitter, 2.4L engine, P/W is within the realm of STU, 6 speed sequential, lots of other ST style goodies.

maybe wheels and tires are too big for STU just glancing at photos, but that's easy to fix. the quick blurb I read also didn't say how large the brakes are but they're pretty big Alcon setup- could be overdoing it for STU per the book. but otherwise I *think* it might be OK for STU..

It's definitely not going to be Prod legal in any class due to the aero.
GT3? but I doubt that. they won't hardly let anything under 20 yrs old into GT3.

maybe they bring in the thing to STU on a spec line like they did world challenge cars back in the day.

I looked up the name...if it's the same person then he's one of those "up and comers" in the SM crowd. Got injured in that big T7 crash at Road America last summer. Did the Runoffs with BSI. MX5 Cup at Daytona this year.

It's interesting in that his Facebook page is being managed by someone; he does not seem to make his own posts. I guess he's being shepherded through the process for Atlanta, I'm hoping someone just picked the wrong class (maybe it should be STU?) or wrong car (maybe he's in an FP Miata?)

I don't know him, maybe someone here does and can inquire? Would hate to see him show up in the wrong car for the class and get his entry rejected (or get protested during the event).

GA

Wild assumption here is that it's a young folk with parent(s) that manage social media. my kids are in karting and most/all of the up-and-comers have parents managing a social media presence so they can be more attractive to sponsors. posts are always made in 3rd person with a "team XXX performed well today finishing YYY and ZZZ. WE have plans for AAA and BBB tomorrow/ next race/future"

David Dewhurst":38rfxjip said:
2023 Toyota GR86 Cup car, turnkey package priced at $89,990.
Yep. given what's in it, I think it would be hard to build the same for less if you're paying a highly qualified shop to do it.

Car - 25,000
cage - 8,000
seats, nets, safety gear - 3,000
sequential trans - 10,000
Engine/ ECU /tuning - 10,000
suspension - 5,000
brakes - 5,000
Aero parts - 3,000

Obviously rough numbers there but that adds up to $69k in just materials (other than the cage which I consider an installed price).
So another $20k to put it into a pretty package and development costs incurred? that sounds reasonable to me.

But... it's still $90,000 for a "spec" 4-banger race car. It's not too far off the reservation- an MX-5 Cup car is about $80,000 and this car has more bells & whistles.

Not STU or FP legal (the front splitter extends beyond the bumper outline)

Even with the weight adder for aero in STU, it's likely still too far extended out.

GT3, maybe.

blamkin86":2aeai8kx said:

Even with the weight adder for aero in STU, it's likely still too far extended out.

GT3, maybe.

I heard the headlight gaps are modified :mrgreen:

tschreyer":3md0wlh4 said:
blamkin86":3md0wlh4 said:

GT3, maybe.

I heard the headlight gaps are modified :mrgreen:

Now you're just trying to get me fired from the SCCA.

blamkin86":d12myitd said:

GT3, maybe.
I'd wager it's closer to legal than you think. With the advanced aero, STU is allowed 3" splitter, and that looks like the exact same APR wing that I have, and my splitter looks ballpark same. It was measured within an inch of its life at COTA Super Tour last weekend.

STU car-garage.jpg

Greg Amy":be6jy0ty said:
I looked up the name...if it's the same person then he's one of those "up and comers" in the SM crowd. Got injured in that big T7 crash at Road America last summer. Did the Runoffs with BSI. MX5 Cup at Daytona this year.

It's interesting in that his Facebook page is being managed by someone; he does not seem to make his own posts. I guess he's being shepherded through the process for Atlanta, I'm hoping someone just picked the wrong class (maybe it should be STU?) or wrong car (maybe he's in an FP Miata?)

I don't know him, maybe someone here does and can inquire? Would hate to see him show up in the wrong car for the class and get his entry rejected (or get protested during the event).

GA

Yeah I have found all the same, if he really is in the prod class I see a lot of issues happening

harvey":2hm3atai said:
Yeah I have found all the same, if he really is in the prod class I see a lot of issues happening
He wouldn't last long there. He'd either get tossed out, moved to an appropriate class (if there is one), or put back on the trailer.

I've been asking around to see if someone knows him, to at least inquire if it was an honest mistake. Last thing we need is "a bunch of old grey beard SCCA members ganging up on a poor young guy just trying to make it in the harsh streets of professional racing" or whatever they come up with to make him a victim...lol...

Greg Amy":3pvfkeb1 said:
harvey":3pvfkeb1 said:
He wouldn't last long there. He'd either get tossed out, moved to an appropriate class (if there is one), or put back on the trailer.

I've been asking around to see if someone knows him, to at least inquire if it was an honest mistake. Last thing we need is "a bunch of old grey beard SCCA members ganging up on a poor young guy just trying to make it in the harsh streets of professional racing" or whatever they come up with to make him a victim...lol...

Not that at all, I just figured it was another SCCA thing of we have a new factory race car and we need to let them into the party without going through the normal procedure of classification What could it hurt or why would it matter. :ask:

Matt93SE":1uu2gk8a said:
[
I'd wager it's closer to legal than you think. With the advanced aero, STU is allowed 3" splitter, and that looks like the exact same APR wing that I have, and my splitter looks ballpark same. It was measured within an inch of its life at COTA Super Tour last weekend.

aa702842c77416a1e630d386827c1dbe6fc41526aa60717bff5260d7133fcc65.jpg

Back