Mid-Ohio Majors, May 29-31

kruck":8jdu8fuk said:
HPCRX36":8jdu8fuk said:
Kevin,
What fuel management system are you using?
Hondata S300, and have tried two completely different ECU's with S300's installed.

Also tried/verified:
- Compression is dead on 11.0:1.
- Compression check is showing great numbers across all four cylinders, all within 2psi of eachother.
- Leakdown test is between 1-3% on all four cylinders.
- Fuel pressure gage directly on the rail shows everything good there throughout dyno pulls.
- Intake tract is free and clear, including the throttle body opening properly.
- Exhaust has no cracks or blockages.
- Complete other distributors have been tried (houses coil & ignitor).
- Firing order of the distributor has been verified, and position of plug wires checked to be correct.
- Second set of plug wires have been tried. (Different plugs have not, but they look great.)
- Cam timing has been checked and re-checked.
- Multiple cams have been tried (even with an OEM cam in it, it's way down on power).
- Valves/springs do not appear to be floating or binding.
- No evidence of burning/leaking/mixing of any fluids.
- Head/block breather is present and open.
- Engine spins freely by hand with little force.

I didn't see that you verified the ignition timing. Is the crank trigger key'ed, or does it depend on friction washers? What happens if you advance the timing by 4 or 5 degrees? Good luck!

Kevin,

Please change the plugs.

I once had a hairline crack in an insulator that absolutely could not be seen by the naked eye. Car ran great at idle and putt around speeds, but fell flat under load.

The only way we found it was running the motor at night, in the dark, with the heat shrouds off the plugs. Little blue lightning balls, to faint to see in any kind of light have it away.

Scott

Things to look at for fun;
I check valves springs with a load cell/pry bar and leak down guage.
Cam timing with the VC off and a dial indicator @ the valve tip with known good value TDC mark.
Verify the TDC mark is spot on..
Changing plugs sounds like a good idea.
I dont know if you have a distributor rotor or not . But i have had some small tracks along the rotor casting lines give me fits, as well as the same inside the cap.
Substitute known good cap /wires/ rotor/ plugs
Add ground straps direct to ECU, battery, dist.
I have had some engines run flat in the upper ranges that had sat for a while with conventional oil gumming up the valve guide. Synthetic does not gum up .
Good luck,MM

Series Chief Steward Costa Dunias is aware of the desire for a split start. I had suggested E/F/H in one group and the racegearbox.com GTL field in the other. This will give a couple laps for things to sort out before GTL hits the tail end of the prod field assuming a prod car takes the OA--or just call it now and have the prod group go first.

However, Charlie is right, Costa is the one that will make the final decision per the supps. I suggest the GTL drivers bringing this up at the post Q1 driver's meeting and getting it finalized.

Eric

I am thinking it might be better if GTL goes first. E/F may take longer to catch the back of GTL field and the H's should be sorted out by the time GTL catches them.

CharlieC":3iul0vw9 said:
I am thinking it might be better if GTL goes first. E/F may take longer to catch the back of GTL field and the H's should be sorted out by the time GTL catches them.

GCR 6.5.5 says......

......The class containing the car with the fastest qualifying time will be a part of the first segment."

So think prod HAS two go first assuming an EP car out qualifies the GTL field.

Dayle

I have seen cases where that was overruled by local stewards for one reason or another.
i.e. 2 cars entered in STU running with 25+ SM cars. SM started first, even though STU was 5sec faster..
not sure if that's 100% legal, but I would think everyone could come to the conclusion that this is not a 'typical' split start for that particular race.

Yes, this isn't a 'normal' split start (separating DOT from slick tire classes) so I'd like to think that the 'powers that be' will see that this is a scenario the falls under the GCR. I've been around Dunias for three seasons now and he's a pragmatist.

I think it's a safer option to have the GTL guys work their way through the HP cars than MUCH faster EP cars slicing through the slower GTL field. If properly spaced, the prod field can be nice and spread out by the time the front GTL cars come along.

Qual times will dictate events. I can't imagine that the last HP car will be closer to the EP pole than the differential in the GTL field.

I appreciate that the GTL group has showed up in HUGE numbers and that they should have some say in this but the GCR is clear on the topic.

Dayle

I for one would be less than optimistic (read that as not a no, but more of a 'whatever') for a split start.

Two reasons.

One, I really enjoy racing with/against other cars and the GTL cars are a great group that runs well with Prod.

Second, waiving off the second group is almost impossible.

Just sayin'

Sterling

6.5.5 of the GCR has been modified sometime recently. In section B, it now says:
The Series Chief Steward or Chief Steward will determine which segment will start first.
So it can go either way, Prod then GTL or GTL then Prod.

Tracey Gauper

I looked in the supps and couldn't find this.

Is the start to be on the front straight or back straight?

Last year it was on the front straight and ... wow. It was my first time at Mid-Ohio and I never understood the two start stand thing until that green flag flew!

Amazing track! Weird starts!

-Kyle

disquek":ugvsluld said:
I looked in the supps and couldn't find this.

Is the start to be on the front straight or back straight?

Last year it was on the front straight and ... wow. It was my first time at Mid-Ohio and I never understood the two start stand thing until that green flag flew!

Amazing track! Weird starts!

-Kyle

The back straight start stand is only used for pro races and the Runoffs. The entire field can be visible and viewed to make sure it's all lined up. Using the front straight start stand is iffy since half the field is in the carousel when the green drops. For those of us at the back of the field, we have to look right to see the stand and the flag condition or have our better halves tell us what's what on the radio.

Dayle.

Kyle- top of page 4 of the supps says start/finish noting the start line is in front of timing.

If everyone stays grouped up on the out lap the front straight isn't bad. However if it gets strung out even a little bit it's horrible. At one race last year I started 29th in the run group (my fault, the 3 position penalty in class, was 25 overall) and it got strong out so bad that they gave the green and I was just entering thunder valley, worse, crew called green but the two following flag stations had double yellow out.

Please please please stay bunched up on the start. No reason at all to be 300 feet behind the guy in front of you!

Dad tried one more effort this morning with new spark plugs, an entirely different ECU, an entirely different distributor (cap, rotor, ignitor, and coil), and doubled up grounding straps. None of it did a thing. Towel officially thrown in. Will probably still come up and be around all day Friday drinking "sodas". Who's got crew spots! :lol:

kruck":buij01rk said:
Dad tried one more effort this morning with new spark plugs, an entirely different ECU, an entirely different distributor (cap, rotor, ignitor, and coil), and doubled up grounding straps. None of it did a thing. Towel officially thrown in. Will probably still come up and be around all day Friday drinking "sodas". Who's got crew spots! :lol:

Cam timing verified (TDC accurately measured and marked)?
Gaskets blocking the ports (both exhaust and intake) with everything bolted on?

kruck":30zhioxr said:

Kevin, have you tried a different exhaust? A mouse nest or a big flake of rust can really screw up flow. And the easiest diagnostic test for it is attaching a known good pipe.

Back