Kansas Majors

It's the conference.

The Majors next weekend at High Plains has 62 entered as of right now. They could run it as 2 groups, open wheel with SRF and closed wheel and have each group with about 30 cars. Instead they will run 6 groups and have 7 cars in Big Bore.

Opening up qualifying for the Runoffs to any 3 Majors has hurt us. Most of the east side of the conference racers went to the Sprints or another race to get their races in and only ran 1 or 2 races in conference.

R. J. Sorensen":39hdlmvn said:
Is this normal for this event, Conference, or time of year?

RJS
Ron, - Yes, yes and yes. Nearly 100 cars this late in the season is a very good turn out.

The MidStates conference is made up of two of the least populated divisions, MiDiv and Rocky Mountain. It also includes Southwest, which is another low population density division.

Across the Club, competition licenses are down 30% over the past decade, but MiDiv and RM show even higher declines. [For example: MiDiv is down 50% over the past decade. MiDiv was the pilot for the Majors, excluding Improved Touring racers at MiDiv races, a large % of past entries. To date, MiDiv has not recovered it's IT racers.]

Peter

Mazda Jon":381igkf4 said:
It's the conference.

The Majors next weekend at High Plains has 62 entered as of right now. They could run it as 2 groups, open wheel with SRF and closed wheel and have each group with about 30 cars. Instead they will run 6 groups and have 7 cars in Big Bore.

Opening up qualifying for the Runoffs to any 3 Majors has hurt us. Most of the east side of the conference racers went to the Sprints or another race to get their races in and only ran 1 or 2 races in conference.

Your losing four cars that usually make the trip from Texas, myself and the three Catherhams. Out of the three I'm the only one so far going to Daytona, and yes, three weekends and I'm qualified. Still, if things had turned out differently two of us would be making the trip to HPR. That's my favorite track. Pueblo is a no go for me due to personal commitments.

peterzekert":19ly1d2a said:
Across the Club, competition licenses are down 30% over the past decade, but MiDiv and RM show even higher declines. [For example: MiDiv is down 50% over the past decade. MiDiv was the pilot for the Majors, excluding Improved Touring racers at MiDiv races, a large % of past entries. To date, MiDiv has not recovered it's IT racers.]

Peter

I found it interesting at a recent even just how many people ahead of me in line were SCCA members racing on another groups license. :|

R. J. Sorensen":18so3s4o said:
Peter,

Is the decrease in competition licenses common to all sanctioning bodies, or unique to SCCA? (If you know)

RJS

In the middle of the US I know all types of road course licenses are down. I have been told, but cannot confirm, the same holds true at many local circle tracks and drag race tracks.

"Involved" sports like golf memberships and flying are down too.

Peter

The NASA event at Pueblo, against the SCCA "majors" event at HPR this weekend, has approximately 60 cars signed up for the race groups, and 40-50 more for the HPDE and time trials.

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_f ... php?t=6881

From what I can tell there's little to no crossover between the organizations. Also from what I can tell, there's a very welcoming and laid back group of folks around here running the NASA events.

I don't know if their counts are up or down, year over year. However every time I've checked in the last couple years, they've had more drivers at their events at the same tracks than the SCCA bigger events. I'm not sure we even run regionals around here any more.

Just a data point. YMMV.

Well, the NASA HPDE and schools subsidize their race groups. Kind of hard to compete with that.

Back