Kansas Majors

Believe the idea was to have the chicane much sooner than the one in this video. What I had heard was very soon after the apron on the back straight started and something similar to the old HPT 8/9 complex was the idea. I know the region was out there a couple weeks back to set up the test run. Don't know what was ultimately finalized but I was told that was the idea. NASCAR 3 and 4 will still be very fast as will the Tri oval.

Oof, only 89 total Majors entries? Guess I need to get use to that being in Mid-States now.

EP
12 - Bennett, David - 1985 Mazda RX7 - SMR/Ritter Fabrications/HRB Sports/KC Raceware/Mazda Speed - Shawnee, KS
27 - Blust, Jamie - 1987 Mazda RX7 - Mazda/Hoosier Castle - Rock, CO
6 - Clark, Charlie - 1985 Mazda RX7 KC - Raceware/Amsoil - ROELAND PARK, KS
74 - Pineider, Paul - 1985 Mazda RX-7 - MazdaSpeed, Gooyear, Summitt Racing, Hawk - Colleyville, TX
71 - Reynolds, Matt - 1999 Mazda Miata - Reynolds Bros. Racing/Vintage Connection/JPM - Fair Oaks , Tx

FP
24 - Davis, Chuck - Acura Integra - Overland Park, KS
37 - Henry, Sam - 1993 Mazda Miata - SpringfieldDyno/SafeRacer/ - Republic, MO
26 - Prather, Kent - 1962 MG A - Prather Racing - Wakarusa, KS
7 - Prill, Eric - 1990 Mazda Miata - MaxtonsFight.org/JPM/Hoosier - Topeka, KS

GTL
04 - Goodale, Jonathan - 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/JoeApex.com/Tahoe Tony"s Jammin' Jerky/Robertson Racing Denver - Conifer, CO
98 - Prather, Jesse - Toyota Tercel - Roy Lopshire - Topeka, KS

HP
3 - Albin, Chris - 1985 Volkswagen GTI/Golf - Hoosier/247-parts.com/AMT engines - Maryland Heights, MO
91 - Horrell, Rob - 1989 Honda CRX - Horrell Group Architects - Memphis, TN
75 - Schulz, Jack - 1970 MG Midget - Automotive Archeologists - Monett, MO

Jon the chicane will be much earlier than that and we'll be back on the backstraight well before nascar 3. Should be really fast!

I think the Sprints is hurting this event being the next weekend afterwards but it is what it is. Looking forward to running Roy's GTL car!

What top speed do those in the know think a GTL/FP car will need to be geared for with the chicane there??

what is the rational for the chicane? its a banked oval. We do cal spdwy and Michigan w/o chicane and they are significantly faster....

The chicane on the back straight at Daytona has always given the long, long time with your foot to the floor a break. It adds an element of skill that keeping a right foot pushed at an angle to get that last bit of top speed does not. Sure, the Cup drivers do it but they also road race and most of them really enjoy the break from foot to the floor, lift a little and turn left. Repeat until you're back where you started. Do this for up to 600 miles and then rejoice if you win or blame something or someone because you did not.

Now, maybe someone else has a more technical answer to Mike's question but I bet most of you get the gist of my answer.

It looks like you run all of the oval at Kansas, except for about 100 yards. SCCA track inspectors are afraid of ovals. At PPIR they make us run a chicane. It's stupid, IMHO.

Yes, that is a small prod group. Kind of surprises me. As for me if I get a start I think I'm qualified for Daytona. Scheduling has made it difficult for me to go to Colorado this year, so perhaps this is it for me.

Be nice to have some other Texas prod guys come on up. Not too late to get in on the fun.

Looking forward to a great weekend - it will be warm, so be sure to start drinking your water now!

Kevin - unfortunately, the entry count is pretty typical of what we've seen over the past few years. Eric, Lisa, and Jim Wheeler are hosting a meeting Friday night to discuss MiDiv's racing program and talk about some ideas which may help boost participation. We'll see how it goes.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

mlewis":3cr3dpb7 said:
what is the rational for the chicane? its a banked oval. We do cal spdwy and Michigan w/o chicane and they are significantly faster....

Track required it

Links will be posted. Race monitor will still be used. New web based system coming (same we beta tested at runoffs) but I don't know if it'll be active this weekend.

KelleyHux":1w93b0sj said:
Looking forward to a great weekend - it will be warm, so be sure to start drinking your water now!

Kevin - unfortunately, the entry count is pretty typical of what we've seen over the past few years. Eric, Lisa, and Jim Wheeler are hosting a meeting Friday night to discuss MiDiv's racing program and talk about some ideas which may help boost participation. We'll see how it goes.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

How about more than one race per year at Hallett? I that's the only MiDiv track I can make since it's a ~12hr tow from Houston up there once I hit traffic in 3 major cities. I try to make it to the Majors in April, but some years that's not the case. opportunity to race there more than once a year would be greatly appreciated. :)

eric- figured that might have something to do with it. insurance co's and lawyers are killing the world.

jim- the two examples I gave of fontana and Michigan have no chicane and terminal velocity is much higher. that was the jist of what I was saying....

mlewis":16nccahq said:
eric- figured that might have something to do with it. insurance co's and lawyers are killing the world.

jim- the two examples I gave of fontana and Michigan have no chicane and terminal velocity is much higher. that was the jist of what I was saying....
In all fairness, Michigan doesn't run near the amount of the oval as Kansas does, and they still set up a whacky chicane type thing at the entry onto the oval (just before NASCAR Turn 3) that makes it the slowest corner by far on the track.

When I designed the road course at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bruton Smith asked me include a chicane. I did but once he rode through it with me on a press day, he told me we didn't have to use it unless we wanted to do so. I did notice that he almost jumped out of the 240 Z when I came straight up at the wall coming out of it. We used it once and then didn't use it again.

I like the one at Daytona. It can make or break a last lap.

its one thing to tighten up the corner leading onto the banking, quite another to put a chicane in the middle of back straight. maybe I'm wrong but it looks like we will easily hit 190 at Michigan and it looks like full throttle for well over 15 seconds, while Kansas due to transition it appears you don't even come up on the banking until the back straight which leaves one oval turn? id also say st Louis roadcourse has as much if not more speed thru the banking?

on ovals its terminal speed that matters most since not many actually spin in the banking but a mech failure at 190 is a real attention grabber whether you're in the banked corner or not.

anyway.. it just sucks IMO.

Back