EFI for all cars ?

Just an observation. A friend that is as good a fabricator and tinkerer as there is, has now been 6 months trying to get satisfactory EFI conversion on his LBC. He is on the third camshaft and while manifolds are available most are not very well designed. I believe he has decided to go back to carbs. I guess that is a no vote from my observation.

I’m with Jon. I’d rather add compression, porting and a dry sump setup before EFI…the 1275 really needs help flowing to make any noticeable improvements. Any change that doesn’t help in that arena is an act of futility.

I believe that we're talking about writing a rule that allows EFI on all carbureted cars in Prod, not mandating it?

I think a single throttle body with single restrictor and custom manifold would be a good step for my setup.
(At least until there were five cars of my model on the grid and they all smoked the field. :) )
Stock manifold seems poor and packaging is very tight.

IMHO. Any EFI option would require the same intake and TB size as is currently listed . This would not change the BOP at all. AS mentioned the carbs will make more power by a small percentage, based on charge cooling .
And it should be an option of course. not required ..

The 1275b with 1 , 1 1/2 in carbs , with 30# or so , along with EFI control should be faster and heavier than the current car and maybe race a little better. I'm all for it. Bring it and lets see what happens.

Send me that car with the EFI and i'll get it to work . You dont need any thing fancy ,

Shouldn’t it be a smaller throttle body? 40mm tb should flow more than a 40mm carb with a Venturi. Tb’s don’t have interchangeable Venturi so a flat plate or SIR would be needed to choke.

I also don’t see why an alternate tb wouldn’t be allowed for all. Old mechanical FI would be in a similar boat. Odd ball throttle body injection from the 80-90’s. Full prep cars that can run carbs can run alternate tb’s in a corresponding size. And since these racers get to pick which design or what parts to use why not leave that open to cars that came with EFI. Still same tb size rule but allow the same alternates.

Ian Green":3uzyep64 said:
I also don’t see why an alternate tb wouldn’t be allowed for all.

"Because Prod philosophy."
"Because rules and class stability."
"Because it will cost everyone money and nothing will change."

Not saying these are the correct arguments for this specific issue, but I do think they are the correct arguments in many situations.

What cars are still carb'd? British cars, the early (super fast) CRX?

Spridget power limitation is the 1.25" carbs I'm told. Moving to a pair of 1.25" TBs with EFI probably wont make much difference (a little I'm sure). And if its EFI for all then the Sargis Spitfire gets it too - he's made whatever carb is on that thing work well.

The LP 1275 spridget was originally intended to be competitive with the 948 full prep cars. Now they need to compete with the 1500 / 1800 / 2000cc GP cars.

What do they need? I dont know. I'm within 20# of minimum weight and aside from a gearbox there aint much more I can do. I had the same trap speed as the 2022 runoffs & ran 6 seconds a lap faster this year - but still 7 seconds off Chris's time (and ~7MPH slower trap?). I never got comfortable enough to be at 10/10ths but I pushed enough to zing the engine.. Without Vickerman this year I somehow got into the fastest spridget position, which is nice.

SCCA tech did put a data box in my car for the race - so something maybe in the works?

For the LP1275 I'm suggesting 2 x 1.5 SU as opposed to the 1.25s we have now, still stock, no modifications. Use the MGB intake. Again stock. Just narrowed to fit the 1275 engine

I like the idea - would run my GTL CRX in FP more often for sure. I'm all for an EFI option based on the choke size required for cars that currently allow for or require carburetion. All I'd have to do is make choke inserts for my ITBs and change the mapping rather than change over to the carb setup. In my experience, like many others here, max power will likely suffer slightly, but driveability should make up for that.

So only allowing replacement for OEM carburetors? Or would this include replacing optional carbs with EFI? My FP configuration uses dual DCOE carbs.

I believe it will be allowed for optional carbs as well. Direct replacement with same size chokes, just efi instead of a carb.

Darn - I was hoping it would be allowed for optional carbs, but in my spec line, there is a fuel injection allowance in addition to the optional carbs, and the Factory Honda dual point fuel injection for my car can't come close to the flow of the optional sidedrafts, so I guess I'm stuck with the carbs if I want to double-dip my GTL in FP. Too much work to go back and forth. Bummer, but congrats to those who can take advantage of this option!

jcspiegel":2a4fq5du said:
Darn - I was hoping it would be allowed for optional carbs, but in my spec line, there is a fuel injection allowance in addition to the optional carbs, and the Factory Honda dual point fuel injection for my car can't come close to the flow of the optional sidedrafts, so I guess I'm stuck with the carbs if I want to double-dip my GTL in FP. Too much work to go back and forth. Bummer, but congrats to those who can take advantage of this option!

Isn't that the same system that is on the Moser, Meller, Loshak, Linn runoffs winner? (which coincidentally just got a little weight reprieve at Rick Benazik's request)

It seems it can be made to work quite well.

That's HP. In FP, we have the option of dual sidedrafts, 30mm chokes on the 1.5 motor. The stock throttle body is a single bore, 42mm, so it's no question as to the competitive setup. Had my fingers crossed that we'd get to use ITB's in place of the optional carbs, but it was wishful thinking. I understand the logic on the new rule, curious to see how it all shakes out! I may ask for a spec line allowance after it publishes, based on the obvious disadvantage of the small throttle body compared to others in the class.

Back