April 2015 Prelims

I really wish displacement was in fact the only thing that made any difference to horsepower, because then our job would be a whole hell of a lot easier. STL tried that logic, yet now they keep putting in adders for this and subtractors for that, while they try to increase their list of "cars to have" beyond ~3.

I love running Daytona. So, if I were to get back into the game...

Since the first car I ever considered buying was an MG TF. It was the most advanced model of the "T" series. How about an MG TF, running radial Dunlop Sports Radial tires, with the 5% weight reduction. A car this old will have lost weight by natural attrition - rusting away. So getting it down to minimum weight is simply a matter of waiting. A car this age has already passed the required waiting periood.

Will also ask for a further weight reduction to allow the driver to be powered by peanut butter cookies. And the engine to be powered by ethanol derived from peanuts. I will petition for another weight reduction allowance for this feature. And it will run sponsorship from Jimmy Carters Peanut Farm, co-sponsored by Geritol.

Will use a blend of Gerital and Hersey's Chocolate Syrup to stiffen up the Armstrong shocks. Will ask for an environmental weight reduction allowance.

And will add the areo aid features of the Lotus/Chaterham 7.

Will also add a toll booth to the back of the car. Requiring all TR-8's to pay a toll each time they pass, to offset the cost of my entry fee. No weight reduction consideration needed for this feature, since it will get very heavy. Thus justifying all the previous weight reductions. But, the shape of the booth will enhance high speed areo for this brick of a car. Visualize the rear of a GT40. Coin storage will be under the car, requiring an undercar tray.

- Rube Goldberg is doing the detail design work.
- Suggested driver candidates are being solicited.
- Considering asking James Rogerson to provide a Volvo support car. He has an attractive green vintage Volvo sedan, a real crowd getter!
- A British car of this vintage does not yet acknowledge the existance of a Japanese auotmotive capacity to compete. It is only recognized as simply Japanese adaptations of English developed and proven technology.

James Rogerson":1wl4841l said:
The problem with the new car listings are that they are brought in at a cc to lbs of 1.2 and the older cars are typically .9

Every time a Hussain Bolt or Carl Lewis shows up we make them wear a 300 lb vest.

James -r

I just don't agree with this at all James. That used to be the case a long time ago but not in recent years. There are current production models competitively classed like the MX5, the Mini, the Mazda 3, the Yaris, and newer models like RX8s and Boxsters and Loti. It's just that very few want to race them and then when nobody races them somehow it is always blamed on the old cars. It's Crazy.

While refusing again and again to create a real level 2 C and D production for all cars SCCA first created DP for only new cars specifically excluding older cars and it failed miserably. B Spec is a joke and will require constant special treatment like T3 always got. STL was created in spite of production, again in order to specifically exclude old cars because "everybody wants to race a newer one", and now is mostly just a National race for a few IT drivers but mostly a second run group for Spec Miatas. I don't think anything old or new could qualify as special treatment more than both the consistent creation of places for new cars to race that specifically excludes old cars, and the constant waivers and special support given to new car only classes. How can anybody say a club that started a whole new category of racing just for modified small bore production cars intentionally designed to exclude old cars is somehow favoring old cars anywhere? How do you make that leap?

Me I'll just keep shaking my head and wondering why anybody, anywhere really even gives a shxt when a car was manufactured and why they aren't just all classified everywhere they fit. :roll:

Jerry Lamb":h6lzus68 said:
I found it interesting that the TR7 received alternate brakes. Seems contrary to "class philosophy"

Well, in order for a V8 car to stop at Daytona, brakes become a safety item instead of a performance enhancer.. and you can't stand in front of safety, now can you?

Matt93SE":1azhlwoz said:
Jerry Lamb":1azhlwoz said:
I found it interesting that the TR7 received alternate brakes. Seems contrary to "class philosophy"

Well, in order for a V8 car to stop at Daytona, brakes become a safety item instead of a performance enhancer.. and you can't stand in front of safety, now can you?

Triumph TR3's through the Triumph TR6's are allowed vented Jaguar XJ6 brakes on the front and I think have been for at least a couple decades now. It's a little different, but the Austin Healey Sprites and all are allowed MGB brakes (at one point, it was a different manufacturer and a totally different model), or Triumph Spitfires using Triumph GT6 brakes... Lots of weird stuff going on with the British stuff that I think with their eventual mergers makes it all that much more confusing. Another is using a later 'aero' front end on an earlier square rear fender (Midget) car to make a more aerodynamic model that didn't technically exist. I think the 80s Japanese stuff you can do some weird mix and match due to the 'update / backdate' rule too.

Could never understand the the brake choices on British cars and even Honda's, as for example the TR6 with larger Jag brakes, the Honda Civic changing the rears to discs, when they where STOCK drums. Could NOT change the SI Prelude brakes to 1/2" larger VTEC rotors even though same car with VTEC power. Maybe that's why I backed it into Canada Corner. It took more than 13 years to make the VTEC Prelude hopefully competetive, with less weight and other adjustments. Just saying not trying to throw anyone under the bus.

FP 48
Mike

BLinn":1dx6g6ty said:

its not exactly in moth balls - it lives in Charlotte, NC and will be appearing again in Vintage racing RealSoonNow.
The car's last public appearance was at The Vintage Triumph Register National Convention in Sept 2014 where Ken himself drove it up the hill in The Vintage Hill Climb.

Regarding alternate brakes for the TR7 - have you ever seen stock TR7 brake calipers? I wouldn't want to be in front of anybody trying to use those things to impede the inertia of 2,200to 2,310 pounds of TR7 in motion :wink:

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Back