And She's Back!

Greg Amy

Administrator
Staff member
Forums is back, new and improved.

Changes are fairly minor, but the most obvious is that we're on different software, XenForo. This is a new experience for your admins so be patient as we work through it; if there's a function/feature missing then let us know and we can investigate if it's available. This software seems to have all the bells and whistles...

We also have some data loss that could not be recovered. Mostly it's older attachments, photos and stuff. If you come across some dead links then let us know.

I've already created a New Political Playground (h/t to the brown board). All the crap is going there.

Please read the new Rules thread. Any deviations from those rules will have you directed to go read the rulez.

One item of significant note is that we are going moving everyone to using proper names instead of handles (sorry Gramps, AOL and Compuserve are dead). You should look into changing yours as soon as practicable, otherwise you may find your ability to post here limited until you do.

Welcome back, and let us know if you find anything amiss. - GA

Thanks for taking this on and doing it well. There has been past discussions about helping to defray expenses for all of this work. How can we help?

Cool. Thanks,MM Does my name in my sig qualify ?
Mike, the purpose of asking members to post their real names instead of using handles is so we know who you are. With anonymity comes bravery, and with bravery comes rudeness.

I'm not clear on why someone would feel so wedded to a login name/handle, but given you've posted your name in your sig, I suggest that meets the "spirit of the rule" (ISWYDT).

Of course, if someone subsequently changes or deletes their sig then that changes or delets it on all past posts as well. If that happens to where someone takes advantage of this allowance and then removes their name from their sig, they will be muted until/unless it's resolved.

Let's let it run for now, and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, no one will abuse it. - GA

There has been past discussions about helping to defray expenses for all of this work. How can we help?
"Read the rulez" ;)

6. Donations. ProdRacing exists solely on donations only. So, if you like the site and are getting use out of it consider contributing to the site. Even though admins are volunteers, we have regular costs such as domain registration, software and web site hosting fees.

We are the guests of GT40S.com and Ron Earp, who agreed to host this site, so we ask that your donations be directed via PayPal to "GT40S.com" which will resolve to "GT40S.com/@ronaldearp1". Please write in a description in the "What's this for?" box indicating you're donating for the Prod board so they know.

Forums is back, new and improved.

Changes are fairly minor, but the most obvious is that we're on different software, XenForo. This is a new experience for your admins so be patient as we work through it; if there's a function/feature missing then let us know and we can investigate if it's available. This software seems to have all the bells and whistles...

We also have some data loss that could not be recovered. Mostly it's older attachments, photos and stuff. If you come across some dead links then let us know.

I've already created a New Political Playground (h/t to the brown board). All the crap is going there.

Please read the new Rules thread. Any deviations from those rules will have you directed to go read the rulez.

One item of significant note is that we are going moving everyone to using proper names instead of handles (sorry Gramps, AOL and Compuserve are dead). You should look into changing yours as soon as practicable, otherwise you may find your ability to post here limited until you do.

Welcome back, and let us know if you find anything amiss. - GA
Thanks 🙏

Thread bump: I now have the ability to merge accounts. If you think you may have two (or more) accounts, and you want them merged, PM me here with your info and I'll make it happen.

Thoughts on the name requirement:
1) on my iPhone the sigs aren’t showing. I look a little but don’t see a setting for it. I didn’t (and probably won’t) check my pc.

2) normally I don’t really care but I do think there is an benefit to us using our real names here since we are actually a physical community in addition to this online one. There are only some of you I know (from online) if I’m watching a race, following results, or (hopefully next year 🤞) actually on track with you. I’ll usually cheer a little more for those I know, even if it’s just to myself in my living room.

That said some of you I’ll have to figure out who you are again with your name.

And Greg, move of this is to political! 😜

And Greg, move of this is to political! 😜
Nah.

I REALLY would like to see everyone move to a "real" login name. I'm not sure how hard we're going to push this but I can't think of a legit reason why someone would feel the need to hide behind a cryptic handle unless they want to be anonymous (well, mine's not cryptic: it's the first letter of my wife's name plus the street address of the house I grew up in plus the letters of each of my kids' and dog's name and my favorite NASCAR driver's car number! But it's not cryptic!*)

I can offer that I'm currently seeing signups for people that have cryptic handles and email addresses at free email sites (gmail, hotmail, etc) and I'm just gonna let 'em simmer out there without manual approval. I'm much more likely to manually approve one from "Bob Smith ([email protected])".

And if someone with a cryptic handle starts causing trouble or being rude, I'll simply mute them until they change it.

I ask that everyone change theirs to a proper name.

GA

* cryptic /krĭp′tĭk/, adjective, Having hidden meaning; mystifying. synonym: mysterious. Using code or cipher.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever used a "handle". I'm rather proud of the name my parents gave me. And I say what I say, no matter how stupid it may seem. Thanks, Greg.

Back