5/28 - 5/30 Grattan CPDN v2

Hey All,

If anybody is intersted, we'll be having "Movie Night" after the scheduled dinner events. I will bring Talledega Nights and the Hangover and will be showing them in "Hillbilly-Vision" (on the side of the Barrington Hillbilly's white semi trailer). I'm not sure where they will park, but feel free to bring a chair, your favorite drink and some snacks to the show.

See you this weekend.

Steve Smyczek

In.
Car is ready to go. Just gotta load stuff onto the trailer and connect the RV tomorrow morning, and then on the road by 2:30 for a ~7'ish arrival.

To all who are coming to Grattan. It is very wet here so be careful when you try and position your rig. Management asked us to park parallel to the paddock road so we wouldn't get stuck. By tomorrow afternoon when the crowd shows up it shouold be better. It might not be a bad idea to paddock on the outside next to Martz and Halkias as that area is drier. The weather is supposed to be dry and cool tomorrow (so it'll dry out some) and sunny and warm the rest of the weekend (lap record weather).

As an aside.....I can't wait for this FP race. Ruck, Workman, Walker, Lamb, Futcher, Wessel, Griesinger......oooo la la. And round 2 will be at MidO in two weeks.....but I'll be on a cruise ship in Alaksa with some in laws. :cry:

Dayle

Qualifying results for Race 1 on Sunday:

Ruck Overall Pole FP
Joe Walker FP
Sargis GTL
Doernberg EP
Futcher FP
Alrbight EP
Halkias EP
T. Feller HP
Workman FP
Smyczek EP
Griesinger FP
Lamb FP
Sturm EP
John Walker FP
Gauper HP
Pintaric GTL
Stalzer GTL
Ron Olsen EP
Rich Olsen EP
Alderson FP
Gnadt FP
Feineigle FP
Frame HP
George Olsen EP
Bailey GTL

Weather was unpredictable for qualifying. There were a few rain drops just before going to grid, while on grid, dark clouds came overhead but eventually the sun popped out for a couple mins during the session. The start should be interesting with a good amount of mixed classes running similar times. At least a 50% chance of rain tomorrow as well.

Race 1 Results (from memory...sheet is in the truck)

EP
1 - Doernberg
2- Maartz
3 - ??

FP
1 - Workman
2 - Lamb
3 - Griesinger
4 - ??

HP
1 - Feller
2 - Gauper
3 - Frame

GTL
1 - Stalzer
2 - Bailey
3 - Sargis
Don't know if Pintaric got enough laps in to get a finish or not.

Ruck was running away with the race until his battery died on the last lap...coming out of the last corner.
He finished 4th.

Qualifying for Race #2 delayed until tomorrow due to bad weather (lightning) for worker safety

Greg or anyone in the know,

So, what's the schedule for Monday? We left around 7 tonight after talking with other production drivers who hadn't heard anything as to what was going on to any qualifying/race changes.

Thanks!

No emergency practices....starting at 9am....20 minutes qual sessions for groups 3, 4, 5, and 6.....then 30 minute races for groups 2 through 6. Lunch will be stuck in there someplace.

I saw on KRuck's facebook page that he won FP on Monday. Any other reports? Qualifying or otherwise?

Get so used to the instant gratification of MyLaps and live timing from the Super Tour that when you get to a day after the event with no results, it's surprising!

echo that... I was wrecked on 80/94 on the way over and couldn't play and am curious to know what happened also. No mylaps or report to look at.

Bill

I was uninjured, Bob received cuts and stitches in his right forearm from broken glass but is otherwise OK. Both of us had our belts on. The van was hit hard on the left rear corner by some idiot travelling way too fast who sideswiped someone behind, then lost control and hooked right into us. The impact rolled us onto the roof and we slid upside down and came to rest up against the median wall with the trailer right beside us. We had to crawl out the broken windshield. The van was totalled and the car and trailer are damaged but fixable (thankfully they stayed upright).

Going from memory again...

EP
1 - Doernberg
2 - Maartz or Halkias
3 - Halkias or Maartz
Not sure on the order between Halkias & Maartz. Halkias & Sturm had contact on lap #2 causing Sam to drop back but I think he managed to work his way back up to third.

FP
1 - Ruck
2 - Griesinger or Lamb
3 - Lamb or Griesinger
Not 100% sure of the order between Dieter & Gerry

HP
1 - Feller
2 - Gauper
3 - Frame
Tom was the class of the field. I had nothing for him.

GTL
1 - Pintaric
2 - Stalzer
3 - Bailey
DNF - Sargis
Steve started on the overall pole but pulled off after three laps.
Pintaric & Stalzer had a nice race early (and I had a great view!)
Stalzer faded after halfway.

The weather was sunny and very warm compared to the previous days.
The track was green from the previous nights rain and had some 'weepers' in turn 1.

Link to my in-car from race #1 from Sunday, editted down to fit Youtube's 15 minute limit.
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzllHVN3yA4
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W4-VMUKLxA

Big thank-you to Maartz for helping me get my truck pulled out from the 'swamp' I parked in on Friday.
A sad note...Bill Wessel was supposed to race this weekend but got in an accident Friday night. He's okay but his van was totaled and the racecar damaged. Hopefully we'll see him at the Sprints.

Mike Sturm also had an accident on the way in to the track. His truck was totaled but he and the trailer & car were okay.
They were able to get home using Loshaks's SUV to tow the trailer home on Monday after the races.
Edit - Posted the same time as Bill. Glad your okay!

fpdatsun":38e0zbm2 said:
echo that...No mylaps or report to look at.

Bill

Be patient folks. The gal who does our T&S (and who will send me the my laps link) is married to a guy who just had a cancerous kidney removed last week. Our instantaneous gratification world has gotten the best of you....the race was yesterday.

Dayle

Whew, that was a wild weekend! Got all extremes of weather, short of it snowing. The new pavement is awesome, really making what was a great track into a fantastic track! Like usual, the hospitality of the hosting regions workers were second to none, and the two BBQ diners were phenomenal. The Prod field was a good one, and it was great to see all my GLDiv Prod friends again, and all of the CenDiv guys who made the trip around the pond.

As for me personally, it was an up and down weekend. In a cool & cloudy first race qualifying, I took the overall pole while turning my best ever Grattan lap by .6 seconds. Bob Doernberg (EP 7) and I had a lot of fun swapping the lead a couple of times in the race before he got a little deep into Turn 3 and had an off. After that I pulled out a pretty good lead, but kept my eye on the Volt meter, which was dropping and dropping. By three to go, I had turned off everything in my car I could that didn't make the car run, but I had already dropped below 11 Volts. Coming out of Turn 8 and then again in Turn 10, I could tell the car wasn't pulling like it usually did. As I crossed the S/F line with two to go, it finally started cutting out and dying. At that point, I had a 45 second lead in FP and just hoped I could make it to the finish. I gimped and gimped around, until the car finally lost all power through the 11 & 12 chicane onto the front straightaway on the last lap. I dropped from 1st to 10th overall (and 4th in FP) in the last corner, in view of the checker flag. That sucked, but the car at the very least kept on idling, so I decided to keep it rolling, letting it take the checker flag.

Then it poured rain for three hours and completely changed the track. The following morning was second race qualifying, and the car went wicked loose on the green and kindy dirty, dusty track. I qualified five seconds slower, and 11th overall. In the race later that afternoon (in about 85 degree, super sunny heat!), I hoped the track would've got better by then, so I didn't change much on the car for it. Right on the pace lap, I could tell the car was still going to be really loose and off the start, it was just that. I had to just try and hold onto it while I chugged around in about 10th (4th in FP), waiting and hoping the car would come in as the race went on. Luckily for me, that's exactly what happened. I steadily picked up time, passed some cars, and with the help of a couple DNF's & spins, I found myself in 2nd overall (1st in FP) by the checker flag, and with the fastest lap of the race. I had cutout the video system and the O2 heater from the previous race, and that was just enough to get me to the finish without issue. I still have some issues to work out in that regard, but we'll get it licked. Looking forward to Mid Ohio.

That was a wild ride!

Grattan has got to be the most challenging track I've ever raced on. There are so many blind turn in points, bumps and even a jump without any reference points it's crazy. It was my first time racing there and the learning curve was steep. To make matters more intersting, the layout creates a huge overlap between classes. The smaller cars are faster around the twisty stuff, but then there is a loooong straight. There was quite a bit of frustration within the group, and there was some beatin' and banging going on.

My weekend was pretty good with a 3rd place finish in race 1 and a 4th in race 2. I ended up improving my times to a respectable (based on the other EP cars there)1:28.7, but it was the second time in 4 races that I missed a podium due to an on-track incident. At least I finished this one and got a few points despite having the oil cooler covered up by a smashed undertray.

If you've never been there, you've got to try it...video does not do justice to the diabolical nature of this track. I can't wait to go back!

Steve

Back