Summit Point National

dave parker

Ok folks,
The Washington DC Region SCCA National club race will be held May 21st and 22nd 2011 at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
Here is the deal, the region leadership has made it very clear to the club racing committee that this event must make money or at the very least break even or it will be the last National that DC Region puts on. What this means to you the racer is that you need to come and participate in the event if you want to see it continue. Unfortunately, the soft economy is hitting everyone in the wallet, but it is also hitting the DC Region in the wallet as well.
The region can no longer afford to have events that lose money.

If you want to see this event continue in the future, then come out and support the event and race. If not, then SCCA National racing at Summit Point will go away.

Thanks
dave parker

Wow, 102 views of this thread and NO comments? I am shocked.
Are you people holding back on me?

cheers
dave parker

dave parker":2772hs36 said:
Ok folks,
The Washington DC Region SCCA National club race will be held May 21st and 22nd 2011 at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
Here is the deal, the region leadership has made it very clear to the club racing committee that this event must make money or at the very least break even or it will be the last National that DC Region puts on. What this means to you the racer is that you need to come and participate in the event if you want to see it continue. Unfortunately, the soft economy is hitting everyone in the wallet, but it is also hitting the DC Region in the wallet as well.
The region can no longer afford to have events that lose money.

If you want to see this event continue in the future, then come out and support the event and race. If not, then SCCA National racing at Summit Point will go away.

Thanks
dave parker

We have always supported the DC region at their national race program, but last year the DC region wasn't interested in supporting the national racers. If DC region wishes to be an even more of a second class region than it already is then DC region members should move their memberships to regions that support a national racing program. I did just that.

Bob Hines

I'm trying to get it together enough (you know ... little stuff ... like putting the motor in the car ...) to be there.

I understand the feelings about WDCR and National Racing. Bear in mind that despite the very vocal few who managed to sink the national last year, WDCR did the right thing and got the National back. Now we need to show our support and prove that National racing is still strong in NEDIV. Don't give the haters a stick to beat us with. Show up.

Summit is a fun track and its always a good time down there. Let's put together a full field and give them a great show.

With Summit's long straight, fast corners, slow corners, etc it might be one of the better Road America analogs in NEDIV.

-Kyle

I'll be there courtesy of my new "sponsor", the Social Security Administration. I just got notified today that my first check will arrive the 3rd week of May. It's too bad that I can't afford to stop working yet, but the checks will be a nice supplement.
I've always said getting older beats the alternative, this is just one more reason why. :)

First, let me point put I have NO dog in this hunt. But if a region doesn't put on good races and alienates the drivers, then another region can always step in a run a race at SP. I've not been there but it's on my 'bucket' list.

PS-atta boy Don.....put my tax dollars to work and have a good time!

Dayle

Dayle Frame":1vcxbq7x said:
First, let me point put I have NO dog in this hunt. But if a region doesn't put on good races and alienates the drivers, then another region can always step in a run a race at SP. I've not been there but it's on my 'bucket' list.

PS-atta boy Don.....put my tax dollars to work and have a good time!

Dayle

The only problem with that idea, Dayle, is that Summit Point tends to have a pretty packed schedule for the main circuit between SCCA MARRS, NASA, EMRA, WKC, Jefferson 500, Several PCA and BMWCCA regions, and a bunch of bike clubs. I would guess that any new region approaching the track for a date would be offered the Shenandoah circuit.

Personally, with the Baltimore GP the same weekend as the MARRS Labor Day Double, I would think that the region has bigger problems to worry about than the National.

Greg's got it pretty much right, there. SP has three tracks plus their new go-kart track and off-road courses, all of which are pretty much packed 24-7. The other sticking point would be that there really aren't any regions within a reasonable distance who could pick up a racing program and move it to SP for a weekend, with workers, equipment, etc.

Unfortunate timing of the Balto GP to fall on Labor Day. Originally it was not scheduled on that weekend and I believe the GP planners had sought WDCR's help with workers, etc. There have been numerous changes during the planninng process to dates, track layout, requests for workers, etc. So who knows how that's actually going to fall out. Labor Day is WDCR's traditional double regional, one of the region's biggest events and biggest moneymakers, so the region can't afford to try to move off that date to accomodate the GP. Plus, if the region were to give up that date, one of the other clubs Greg mentioned would swoop in and take it, and the region might never get it back.

edited to add: plus, if the DC Grand Prix is any indicator, a street race in Baltimore might not be terribly long lived. DC GP had a 10-year contract and one of the nicest track surfaces I've ever seen. Canned after one year due to the underhanded dealings of DC Sports & Entertainment Commission. WDCR will hold onto its traditional Labor Day date, and will work with the GP as it can, but won't make any huge concessions in case the Balto GP disappears into the dust.

We have always supported the DC region at their national race program, but last year the DC region wasn't interested in supporting the national racers. If DC region wishes to be an even more of a second class region than it already is then DC region members should move their memberships to regions that support a national racing program. I did just that.

Bob Hines

Please don't tar the whole region. A small vocal few with power to spare are the ones who made that bone-headed decision. And many Region members became very vocal in their protests. A lot of us (yeah, even us grunt workers) have always supported national racing. We have it back, we want to keep it. So, please, we want you to come and enjoy yourselves.

What's the old saying - some of my best friends are National racers? Personally, I think we should name the event the "Chris Fox Memorial National." :cry:

Anne

anne callihan":309i4nfe said:
Personally, I think we should name the event the "Chris Fox Memorial National." :cry:

Anne

Thats a damn fine idea. She gave so much to the club that holding the event in her name is wholly appropriate. :applause:

Dayle

Dayle Frame":2sgez29g said:
First, let me point put I have NO dog in this hunt. But if a region doesn't put on good races and alienates the drivers, then another region can always step in a run a race at SP.
My understanding is if a track is within the Region's geographic area, then that Region must approve of an outside Region holding an event at "their" track.

If this is true, it would be doubtful with the current WDC view on National Racing that they would support another Region holding a National on their home turf. You can sure bet the current WDC officers will not turn over a date to another Region for a National if they could use it themslves for a Regional race.

Anne et all,

I absolutely agree with naming the WDCR SP National after Chris Fox! What a great idea! What do we have to do to make this happen????

Rap

If the Region does not wish to name the entire event for Chris, then I suggest the Prod drivers attending get together and either split the cost of a nice Memorial trophy or find a sponsor to purchase one. Then, name the Production race at the Summit Point National the Chris Fox Memorial Trophy race and present the trophy each year to a different class winner. Have the trophy brought or sent back each year and make the presentation in impound after the race. The winning driver keeps it for the year.

Years ago, there was a similar trophy awarded to the winner of FP at the Chimney Rock Hillclimb. I remember how much it meant to me to win it for a couple of years.

This is something you can make happen as a group. The biggest problem with naming a major event after a single driver or person is that not everyone knew that person and it means nothing to the majority.

FP Racer":53kq8do5 said:
If the Region does not wish to name the entire event for Chris, then I suggest the Prod drivers attending get together and either split the cost of a nice Memorial trophy or find a sponsor to purchase one. Then, name the Production race at the Summit Point National the Chris Fox Memorial Trophy race and present the trophy each year to a different class winner. Have the trophy brought or sent back each year and make the presentation in impound after the race. The winning driver keeps it for the year.

Years ago, there was a similar trophy awarded to the winner of FP at the Chimney Rock Hillclimb. I remember how much it meant to me to win it for a couple of years.

This is something you can make happen as a group. The biggest problem with naming a major event after a single driver or person is that not everyone knew that person and it means nothing to the majority.

I think that this idea will get a lot more traction with the region leadership. I would support this idea and be more than willing to pony up some bucks towards the trophy. However, I have enough on my plate now so I am looking to the rest of the group for someone to make it happen.
cheers
dave parker

Jim...In the Northeast Chris Fox is a Legend and I'll bet there are a lot of drivers and officials in the Southeast that know of her as well! She was one of those drivers that transcended race groups, classes, Regions and Divisions! I'm pretty sure the WDCR, if approached, would name the National after her. A special small bore group trophy for the race weekend and/or possibly a year end trophy for a group driver is also be a great idea!

Dave...I would be willing to do some of the legwork on this project and I'm sure we can count on Anne's help as well. Anyone else out there that is in???

Rap

Back