Changes Proposed for License waivers

jbecker

I recently became aware of a proposed change in requirements for License renewal with a waiver. My understanding is that this change was proposed by SCCA staff and is being considered by the BOD. If a driver fails to complete the required one race during the year he must receive a participation waiver from his DLA (Driver Licensing Administrator). The proposed change would require all drivers to also complete the SCCA online drivers school. This is a 90 minute on line training designed to inform new drivers of the SCCA culture and procedures. As proposed, this would include anyone asking and receiving a waiver. In essence a racer with 30 years of experience would still be required to take this training regardless of his previous experience if he failed to finish a race in particular year. As the Area 9 DLA and a long time racer, I am reaching out to my area BOD member and Comp Board member suggesting that this proposal be revised to allow the DLAs the ability to waive the on line requirement in cases where the driver has sufficient SCCA experience to make this training unnecessary. I would strongly suggest members of this forum contact their BOD members and make your opinions known on this proposed change.

As a long time racer who has had more than one waiver along the way, I see no real harm in the online requirement. In fact it wouldn't be that bad an idea to require EVERYONE to do the training at least once every 5 years or so.

If you don't believe me, ask 5 long time racers what the SCCA rules are on passing and giving racing room. Odds are you'll get 5 different answers.

I have not seen the proposed online training, but almost anything that reminds drivers, who they are racing against, and how a driver should race a fellow club member, in a club race, should be useful.

I think it should be every driver, every year, with emphasis on what it takes to make this club run and what it takes to make a race weekend happen.

As a long time racer who has had more than one waiver along the way, I see no real harm in the online requirement. In fact it wouldn't be that bad an idea to require EVERYONE to do the training at least once every 5 years or so.

If you don't believe me, ask 5 long time racers what the SCCA rules are on passing and giving racing room. Odds are you'll get 5 different answers.

I, also, have zero issue with the online training requirement (in fact, I'm'a go find it now and register myself).

DLAs have a very important responsiblity; most do it very well. I personally suggest that there's really no downside to this idea (I may change my mind after taking the training...lol)

Is there a letter in the system for this?

GA, who's been waived a couple times...so take that for whatever it means to you... ;)

Update: just took the courses, both the initial "Introduction to Road Racing" as well as the "Rules and Procedures for the Track".

I have no concerns requiring the "Rules and Procedures" module for drivers requesting a waiver, and I like Al's idea of requiring it regularly for all drivers.

I'd also like to see a module that focuses more toward on-track behavior and make that a requirement for 6.1 and 6.11 offenders to come off probation/suspension and/or to complete requirements for CSA reprimands.

My SCCA com Login
My Learning/Course Registration, then afterwards
My Learning/SCCA Academy

Last edited:
Looks like the myscca.com site got hacked
You missed a decimal: my.scca.com

Of course, it's kinda shortsighted to use a tertiary host name without registering the other one ($15/yr...?) Yes, I'm an IT guy that bought a shadton of important domain names for my companies just cause'a' that...all it took was for one of them to be converted to a Chinese pron site and they got the clue...

Last edited:
Back