Willow Springs Rational - Feb 26-27

JasonIsley99

Looks like a good turnout for the Feb 26-27 Double at Willow Springs. I even hear rumors of a Honda Fit joining us in HP. 8)

E Production 4 entries
19 Carroll, Josh Mazda RX7
50 Gist, Gary Mazda RX7
51 Karlson, Roger Elva Courier
63 Malone, James Porsche porsche 944

F Production 4 entries
11 Linn, Brian Mazda Miata
31 Hayward, Noel MG Midget
36 Powers, Sean Mazda Miata
93 Murph, Gary Opel GT

H Production 5 entries
8 Verity, Neil MG MGB
28 Bryant, Craig Austin Healey Sprite
33 Wittman, Gary Austin Healey Sprite
43 Markos, Cory Honda Civic Si
99 Isley, Jason Toyota Yaris

Gary Wittman":2a6vmvq8 said:
Yes, it looks like it will be a fun weekend. I hope the rain does not interfere with our fun.

I am sure Cory and I would be fine with our FWD. :p

Although, I only managed two laps of practice in the rain last year before my stick with a rag defroster failed me. :lol:

We also have a Regional Sprite joining us in HP. That makes it 6 HP cars so far.

FWD is better in the rain and the windshield also helps to keep you dry. I guess the drawback is it can also block your vision. Then again try using a stick on a rag for the inside of a helmet visor. :eh:

Going to try these:

832044_9168873_290.jpg

MP81113228.jpg

I talked to Leroy this afternoon and he has his carbs back together and should be registering in the next couple of days. That will give us 7 H cars. Maybe we should petition for our own run group. I hadn't realized that Mike Bachman was coming down. That will give me one more guy to race with while watching the rest of you disappear. And who invited that Verity guy anyway? I thought he was moving up to FP? :wink:

Craig

We'll see if the Prather motor in Neil's B holds together.

Neil and I had many great races together, when we were both in G.

I agree...looks like a fun time.... Lets hope the rain stays away.... my rain tires are from 2004! I use them every 3 years... or so.. Sorry Craig....just too much fun in HP running with you guys so I'm going to stay... plus, now that your on a winning role we all better watch out for you..... Too make it fair, we need to put a parachute on Gary though.... HP cars averaging 90 miles per hour... oh yeah!!

Neil
#83 HP

It will be good to see you again Neil. It seems you picked a good time to join us. I will be running an equivalent to a parachute. I am trying 3.9 rear gears there this time. They worked at Fontana until the wind started blowing. It made no difference anyway when the throttle cable broke. I was too lazy to change the gears for Willow Springs. I hope they are not too bad there. At least I have a new throttle cable to hopefully keep power to them.

I think we will end up with a bunch of HP cars pushing to be in front. Sounds like fun to me, if I can keep up.

Looks like we get to pick up our new LSD tomorrow... Now the mad thrash to install it. Between that and trying the 13" wheels for the first time it should be an interesting race.

Jason, did you ever get a closer ratio gear set? Watching your RA in-car movies, it looked like a 2k RPM drop between 3rd and 4th gear.

racer_tim":3e1julmh said:
Jason, did you ever get a closer ratio gear set? Watching your RA in-car movies, it looked like a 2k RPM drop between 3rd and 4th gear.

No luck finding any such animal for the Yaris.

Congrats on, and good luck with, the new posi Jason. What did you have in it before? full lock? factory electronics? open? Seemed to hook up fine on corner exit during those brief moments I could stay with you so just curious.

Curtis":10gd0eva said:
Congrats on, and good luck with, the new posi Jason. What did you have in it before? full lock? factory electronics? open? Seemed to hook up fine on corner exit during those brief moments I could stay with you so just curious.

You need to listen to the audio from the PHX race... The engine spinning up around turn 3 and the carousel, as you pull away. :x :lol:

It was a KAAZ clutch diff. Even with a fresh rebuild it would one leg. I tried Redline NS in it, per Keith's recommendation, and it was no better. The diff is so small there is just not enough clutch surface area.

The new one is an OS Giken. They have taken off like wild fire among the Solo guys, and Prather had great things to say about it, so we thought we would give it a shot.

In an effort to help thwart the rain I ordered a set of wets today. Having them on hand means I wont need them. I hope. :lol:

Oh, OK I am betting you will love the OS Giken unit. Even thought there is a readily available, inexpensive, ZF ramp type posi available for the Alfas I know several of the faster vintage/historic racers that have upgraded to the Giken units and speak very highly of them.

Here is what we are looking at for a race grouping with the Rational (Reg/Nat combo):

4- GT1
1- GT2
4- GT3
3- GTL
4- EP
5- FP
3- Mazda GT (Reg only class, tube frame with Rotary)
2- ITE
1- RS
5- SP

All of this on a very fast track - where the EP lap record (Lemon) ave speed is faster than 100mph. I should upgrade my mirror.

HP gets to race with the SS, Touring, AS, STU and ITA-C cars. Not sure what is less desirable.

Back