Who else is running 13x7 wheels?

EPrill

Curious who else runs 13x7s in Prod or GTL.

I know who is limited to a 13x7, but I know that others (like me) run them when they could run a 15" wheel.

I was talking to Hoosier about the possibility of a wider radial (most of the 15x7 guys run the 245, not the 215) for the 13" wheel. Their concern was that there wasn't enough market for it. I'm curious if anyone else would be interested in a wider application.

Thanks

I stopped running the 13" because it wasn't enough tire for my car, I needed a 100 compound or a bigger size. Might be worth a look again if they could make the 13" as wide as the 215-15 I run now.

I have a set of 13x7 that I've tried the 20x9.5x13 Hoosier BIAS tire, but with a locked front diff in the Wabbit, I think they scrub off too much speed, so I prefer the 20x8x13 on a 13x6 rim.

I am stupid, so I'll probably try them again this year.

Most of GTL is on 13x7s.

Most of us are also still on the 9.5x20 bias. I know of only four that are on the radial (all 13s). One of whom just switched (test only so far - no races).

Wider might sway more of the GTL crowd. It might also make a horse-for-courses tire since I can't see wider being better at Daytona.

The feedback I have from the recent switcher (VERY fast guy) is that the radial can be faster, but to drive it faster is bleeding-edge-scary. This car was fully "radial-ized" for the test.

When someone starts setting lap records and winning well attended races, I'm-ah start looking hard at the radial. I'm not looking forward to it. With feedback being that it's less fun to drive at the limit and it requiring a ton of suspension changes to optimize (many of which are expensive and major trade offs) it's not my idea of a win-win. But if radials become a requirement to win, so be it.

-Kyle

During the little testing I've done on our HP '93 Civic DX, which is limited to a 13x6" wheel and now has to weigh a very portly 2420lbs, I would absolutely love a tire that was wider AND available in the 100-compound! Make it similar dimensions to the 225/45 R13 A7/R7, which is about the widest thing I'd cram onto a 6" wide rim, and is wider than the current 215 13" slick offerings.

FWIW
Years ago I tried 7 inchers.
Drop center was in wrong place and it was real difficult mounting GY cantis
Back to back testing on the track - the 7s were 2 sec a lap slower than 6s (20x8x13 tires)
That was on a lap that was in 1:23 range with the 6s - about 2.4% difference

I am running a 13x7 on my FP CRX. I haven't had the car out yet. But I think a wider 13" tire would help the FWD cars. I would be interested, just as long as they don't cost $300.00ea.

Count me in on wanting a wider radial that fits on a 13x6 wheel, or an allowance for a wider 13" and/or 15" wheel . <here we go again with wheel discussions. #hijack>

-M

For the Miata, I have three sets of the 13" x 7" wheels, as I followed Eric's lead. I've struggled to be as fast as I was on the 15" wheel. When on the 15" wheel I was using the 245 radial and liked those. I was surprised how narrow the widest 13' tire was when I got them. I thought I must have received the wrong tire. On paper going to the 13" wheel has a lot of advantages, if they can survive a race. I had no problem with making them last for a race distance at 2179 and gobs of Prather power.

I haven't been able to try the new S75 or S80 tire on the miata. The Miata has been parked for too long while screwing around with the Lotus and Honda.

On the HP Honda, we use 13" x 6". It would be nice to have a slightly wider footprint on non-super speedway rovals.

I'm running 13 X 7" rims. i would like to see a tire that could take the 2153 weight for a full race with out giving up. G

Gordon Jones":3venxvex said:
I'm running 13 X 7" rims. i would like to see a tire that could take the 2153 weight for a full race with out giving up. G
They work just fine on pavement...:)

I run 7x13 front wheels with the 215 radial. With over 600# on the front on each tire a wider tire would be welcome as long as it isn't to much taller.

Johannes Krauss
HP Mk 1 Scirocco

What is that latest on this?

It would be great for Hoosier to start to produce a wider radial, but I would prefer one that could fit on a 13x6" wheel. I believe I could benefit from a wider tire on my FWD car.

Besides, I’m about to buy several new 13x6 wheels . . . I don't even know if I can find a quality/light wheel for my car that is 13x7".

If Hoosier wants something that will appeal to the masses then I think the best bet is to produce a tire that is as wide as it can be and still fit on a 6" wide wheel.

I think a lot of the Caterham drivers would be very interested in a 245 - 13" radial. The CRB gave us 7" wheels which is great but what tires are there to run on those wheels? So yes, a 245 -13 radial Hoosier would be just right.

Back