Wheel repair

Bill Trainer

If an aluminum wheel gets scored on the inside turn going up to the bead, can the scoring be welded or repaired? or is it scrap? thought I would see before tossing it. Thanks

If you mean the wheel has a tool mark where the tire needs to seal....

If it is minor, I had some aluminum wheel that didn't seal very well. I sanded the surface a little, then painted with POR-15, tough paint. Sanded that some and re-coated.

That worked, any flaws were blened and almost gone.

I think even I would throw that away....

But maybe some wheel repair shop can weld it. But seems like a repair like that could crack....

Call Bob Stretch at Wheels America , great guy as well as a Trans Am TA2 champion. Feel free to tell him Mike Donohue sent you!

Bill,

Look in the latest issue of Hemmings Motor News. There are lots of wheel repair sources there.

Is this a similar problem to the caliper rubbing issue I helped you fix at Road America???

Thanks, Jay

Thanks Jay - no this was different, I made a suspension change and thought I had clearance but when the car was on the track.. not enough!

Second the suggestion of Bob Streach ( aka fixrimbob) at Wheels America. You can send them the wheel and they will advise if they can safely repair it or not at no cost. Typical cost for a repair is about $100. They can do wonders ... but every wheel is a different story. Very fair and honest.

Jim

OK, maybe I don't need to fix that wheel. Was out at Calif Speedway helping Craig Bryant break-in his LP1275 in his Bugeye on Sat. A Porsche GT3 hit the wall in NASCAR T-2 after loosing air in the LR tire, according to the driver. The picture of the damaged wheel is the RR tire, still holding air but a bit oblonged. The driver thought the wheel broke after the opposite side hit the wall, but I'm not so sure about that. Scary to see all the damage and know that that part of the track is the fastest the Miata has ever gone. I imagine the Porsche was going much faster.

Back