Wheel Bearing Grease

Al Seim

Is Red Line CV2 a good choice for a very high temp wheel bearing grease?

I've discovered that my VW wheel bearing cartridges come apart easily w/o damage so I think I'll replace the stock grease with "better" as everything in that area is HOT. Is Red Line CV2 a good choice? It shows a workung temp to 500F and a 900F drop point both of which sound good.

Al Seim
HP LP VW Scirocco

I use mobil one grease in the bearing greaser. Pull out both seals on one side an put the entire thing in the press. Press genlty unitil the new grease pops out.

I ran Red Line CV2 for a very long time and was always happy with it (although I did have some wheel bearing issues in the GTL - but I think they were water related).

At Bobby's suggestion I switched to Neo HP800 this season. I have not pulled the bearings apart yet to look at them.

They are VERY different greases. The Neo is like a wet glue almost. If you put it on a finger tip and touch something, it will form a thread as you pull it away. After you pack the bearings with HP800 but before you run it, the wheels have HUGE drag. But after you run it, it's fine.

So I think that the CV2 is a great "normal" grease. The HP800 is something different.

-Kyle

We run ball bearings in all four corners of our Sprites with black Valvoline synthetic grease. We've burned high heat paint off our hubs (gets pretty hot in Florida) but absolutely no damage or wear to the bearings. Rolling resistance is virtually nil and no signs of breakdown. Lucas also makes an excellent high temp that a friend runs in his FP Miata.

Bob

Back