Wha hoppened? At Sebring?

Ed Funk

Prod race red flagged. Jay Griffen out.
Flescher, Powell, out.
Zekert running way back.

What happened? Who done it?

Enquiring minds and all that.

Happened in the T3/T4/B-Spec split start, around Turn 4 (I guess it would be?). Wherever the pedestrian walk over bridge is. From the camera that's posted down at the hairpin, you could look back down the track and watch all the clean up. Eventually a B-Spec Mini with most its front end wiped off get hauled away on a flatbed, followed by a T4 (?) Solstice that had been seriously messed up on all sides of it.

Then towards the end of the race, right in front of the same camera, looked like Larry Boylin getting shoved off the track into the guardrail at a high rate of speed, as he was on the outside of like four cars all trying to go side-by-side into the hairpin. That's why it ended under caution.

In other news, I love having cameras set up around the track at Majors races!

Harold didn't start - clutch went out and he didn't feel like fixing it and went home. The B-Spec mini had a different driver when it crashed from when it qualified. It had a lot of front end damage. The Solstice was a mess and I don't know the condition of the driver. Might have been hurt as there were ambulances. The Mini driver Travis Washay was fine.

The H race was won by a VW Cab driven by Alan Hulse that was under the track record and looked very fast based on who he was running with. E was won by Greg Ira who was flying and F by Don Ahrens. Charles Leonard won GTL. Shadowen was leading most of it. Ken Kannard was way back in F for some reason.

I had a left front control arm break on lap one. made it to the hairpin before I discovered it. Had to drive all the way back home to get the spares (which should have been in the trailer, right?). At any rate about 10PM last night it was back together and re-aligned. Definitely hoping for a better result today.
Congrats to AJ on the win and the record, VERY nice young man and family!

Charlie Leonard actually finished second to Shadowen in GTL. But they had a heck of a race!

Jay Griffin":3pdvyo93 said:
Charlie Leonard actually finished second to Shadowen in GTL. But they had a heck of a race!
I thought so but after writing it up I checked race monitor and they had it the other way around so I changed it. Yes it was a great race between those two.

Jay - do you have anything for the VW? Good luck today. Glad you got it back together.

Saturday I got pushed off at the Hairpin on lap one by someone trying the inside 3 wide pass. It can't be done and sent me flying hard off track. The race was red flagged but on the restart I did not know the damage. About lap 4 or 5 I went sailing off track as the LF suspension stopped suspending. DNF.

On Sunday I got it together and went out for hardship in/out lap. It seemed OK. In the race I was a little tentative, not wanting to have another suspension failure. Once it stayed together I pressed a little harder. It was OK but not great. Chris Kopley (GTL Mini) stayed on my a$$ the entire time. He kept me honest. [Fastest Mini in Florida.]

The HP winner is a very good driver and that car has huge engine. Good pick for Daytona.

-Peter

Ron Bartell":idykru2z said:
Jay - do you have anything for the VW? Good luck today. Glad you got it back together.

I'd like to think I do, unfortunately I never got the opportunity to find out!
Heard a couple of odd clunks on the pace lap ( the first one) then noticed the shifter moving when I accelerated. It didn't do that last night when I drove it.

Waved everyone by on the back straight and parked it. It was one of the motor mounts. (experienced this once before) Supposed to have three studs holding it to the engine, there was only one visible when I looked at it, the other two had sheared off.

Shitty weekend, the car definitely was fast if not for the breakage.

Talked to Solstice driver's dad after he got back from the hospital. Son's got 2 broken ribs, upper back sprain and large sprain in lower part of one leg... didn't get which. Rescue guys said his HANS flat out saved him from breaking his neck. I've got a couple pictures of the car if anyone wants to see it in it's much modified condition. Give me an e-mail address... still can't get pics on the site. Other than the rash of bent cars all weekend, the racing was excellent.

Bob

P.S. Peter's comment about HP driver A.J. Hulse was right on. He's good and they build good cars. Charlie Leonard won GTL after a side by side dual with Peter Shadowen that was something to watch.

Back