Watkins Glen July 6 - 8

That is awful. Really glad we decided early to skip this. Half of the race groups need to be there three days for a single national event.

This is the worst race schedule I've ever seen. I was going to enter but to drive 800 miles for a single race weekend that takes 3 days to put on is just unacceptable. One qualifier per day, what were they thinking? Even at the Runoffs you are getting more track time than that. Usually at the Glen with all the prolific use of the double yellows it takes a double race weekend to get the normal amount of race laps for a single race. If the intent of the bonus race was to get more entries this type of scheduling is going to backfire, and maybe the SCCA should rethink. I can foresee that alot of us are not going to be entering this race. Also, have you read the supps for the Pittsburgh race? The sound level has been reduced to 95 db. Why would the SCCA have an event at a track that doesn't meet its criteria on sound levels? We build our cars to these specs, even Limerock gets an exemption in that conservitive area on sound. I don't know how half of the potential prod cars or any of the ground pounders will be able to meet that sound level, I know I can't come close to meeting it. Well in these 2 weekends there will be 3 less entries, (Pittsburgh is a bonus weekend) we need more forward thinkers if we want our race numbers to go up.

This is just awful. Between the glen schedule changes and the sound at Beaver, these events are likely to draw very small groups. Very disspointing.

My understanding for the 3 day single was an attempt to make the best out of a bad situation. The region was planning on a double, like last year. When the double for the northeast was put at Nelson, the region did not want to go back to WGI and give back the day. The local region needed to establish this weekend as a 3 day event with WGI in hopes of the double coming back in the future. If the region had given the time back it would be more difficult to get it back in the future. The schedule is FUBAR, no doubt, but long term if the double comes back it was worth it. The Northeast needs a Showcase event, at a quality track with a region that can put on a great show. Thats Glen/Fingerlakes at Watkins Glen. Hopefully the political BS can be put aside next year. Trans-AM.......we still have that?

kevin leigh":1cybos8a said:
The sound level has been reduced to 95 db.

I live in MI and have never been to PIRC. I thought this bonus national would be fun. Thank God I'm a Race Chair and knew enough to read the supps. 95 dB is a pretty damn small number for prod cars. And I sure as Hell wasn't going to drive over just to get dinged on sound. So it's off the agenda. Damn.....I would have liked to have run that one.

Since I haven't been there before, what's close enough to warrant a sound level so low?

Dayle

Dayle, and anyone else who was concerned about the 95db limit at PIRC/BeaveRun:

We've raised this issue with event management and been told that the event will use 103db, not 95db.

The details are described by AJ Anselm in this post on the GT forum: http://www.gt-racecar.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=1&t=296

Hopefully they will amend the supps soon to avoid any further confusion going forward.

Big props to those guys for dealing with a difficult situation (race track owners who want quiet) and for arriving at the best possible outcome (letting us use 103db).

-Kyle

Dayle, in answer to your question, there's not much in the vicinity of PIRC that should be problematic with sound. It's a fairly remote area. There are some residences down the road as you turn off the main drag, but they are few and far between IIRC. Otherwise, a couple of motor lodges in the area, some industry on the main road just as you pull in, but otherwise, no idea.

From Kyle's post, it sounds like new management may have been the problem. Thanks for the post, Kyle - hopefully the supps will be amended and folks will come. It's a nice facility - except when the fog rolls in. And when it gets dark. There aren't any lights in the paddock. We pulled in late night last year and it was really, really dark! Then the fog rolled in the next night and visibility was once again down to about zero.

As far as the Glen goes, I agree that the schedule sucks. But if you vote with your feet and choose not to go, let the region know why. If very few people tell them, they could just as easily chalk low numbers up to the bad economy as to their poor scheduling.

KDENNIS":2bs3hj7f said:
My understanding for the 3 day single was an attempt to make the best out of a bad situation. The region was planning on a double, like last year. When the double for the northeast was put at Nelson, the region did not want to go back to WGI and give back the day. The local region needed to establish this weekend as a 3 day event with WGI in hopes of the double coming back in the future. If the region had given the time back it would be more difficult to get it back in the future. The schedule is FUBAR, no doubt, but long term if the double comes back it was worth it. The Northeast needs a Showcase event, at a quality track with a region that can put on a great show. Thats Glen/Fingerlakes at Watkins Glen. Hopefully the political BS can be put aside next year. Trans-AM.......we still have that?
Kevin, You are correct on all counts! T Weaver

Back