Watkins Glen double national - July 8-10th

kruck

I've really been wanting to do Watkins Glen again for quite some time, and since I'm not ready to sit around waiting three months for the Runoffs, I decided to sign up. Haven't been there in six years, and that was in an ITC car, so we'll see how this goes. :lol: Pretty good Prod field signed up, and the fact that they moved STU out of the group, that certainly helped my decision to sign up.

EP - 8 Entries
00 - Kasprzyk, Greg - 1990 BMW 325i - GK Construction LLC - Pittston, PA
8 - Eells, Peter - 1989 Mazda RX7 - Always Green Racing - Dunedin, FL
17 - Moore, Sam - 1999 BMW Z3 - Hoosier Tire/Bavarian Motors/OPM - Kannapolis, NC
24 - Kavitski, Rick - 1994 Mazda Miata - RDK Engineering Inc. - Freeland, PA
38 - Hollenbeck, Phil - 1972 Datsun 240Z - AAA Fire Protection, VacHume Enterprises, Kowalski's Sausage House, Watermark Construction - Ashby, MA
47 - Walsh, Donald - Mazda RX-7 - Classic Auto - Orrtanna, PA
58 - johnson, roy - BMW bmw 325 - Scuderia Tres Hombres - Houston, TX
73 - Schutt, James - 1980 Mazda Rx-7 - Village Auto Works / FXDD - Vestal, NY

FP - 10 entries
3 - Lentz, Serge - 1990 Mazda Miata - Belgo-Am Racing - Circleville, NY
5 - Buchel, Ken - 1990 Honda CRX - Buchel's Auto Body - Denver, PA
7 - Ruck, Kevin - 1990 Acura Integra - Hoosier/Honda Performance Development - Delaware, OH
34 - Kraftson, Donald - 1964 Elva Courier - Ariane Capital Partners - New York, NY
77 - Norris, Jeffrey - Mazda Miata - Wanna Bee Racing - Felton, PA
78 - Handly, Les - Porsche 914 - Atglen, PA
83 - Howard, Christopher - Mazda Miata - Holliston, MA
84 - Barlow, Richard - 1968 Triumph Spitfire MK III - Barlow Racing - Canton, CT
89 - Campbell, Charlie - 1993 Mazda Miata - Campbell Brothers Racing/ Hoosier - Corry, PA
93 - Flescher, Harold - 1962 Austin Sprite - Goodyear, C.A.R.S. - Palm Beach Gardens, FL

HP - 7 entries
4 - Bartell, Ron - 1962 MG Midget - Hoosier Tires - Madbury, NH
46 - Krauss, Johannes - 1980 Volkswagen Scirocco - Prattsville, NY
59 - Stine, Gib - AH Sprite - Stine Motorsports - Cazenovia, NY
62 - Plush, Greg - Nissan 510 - FGR/Auto Expectations - Reston, VA
69 - Reece, Michael - 1991 Volkswagen GTI - Brooklyn, NY
75 - Gerundo, Charles - 1986 Volkswagen GTI - Vote For Pedro - Holmes, NY
88 - Heinritz, Ted - Ford Fiesta - King of Prussia, PA

GTL - 7 entries
25 - Walrich, Todd - 1971 Datsun PL510 - CryoScience Technologies, Stonebridge Sports & Classics - Westbury, NY
37 - calvillo, octavio - Nissan Sentra - Scuderia Tres Hombres - Houston, TX
60 - Lentz II, Robert - Nissan Sentra SER - FGR/Auto Expectations/Goodyear - Chantilly, VA
63 - Downey, Brian - Nissan 200sx - FGR/Auto Expectations - Bristow, VA
92 - Disque, Kyle - 1994 Toyota Tercel - The Sweet Love of a Good Woman - Philadelphia, PA
95 - Turchuk, Michael - 1991 Nissan Sentra - Village Auto Works/Country Green - Oxford, CT
99 - Dowie, Bob - Nissan 200SX - Village Auto Works - Chester, NY

For some reason this place refuses to hand out qualifying sheets until after the Q2's are done. Wierd.

Final grid for todays race, which will be around 10:45am, and under awesome conditions:
Rick Kavitski - EP Miata - 2:11.331
Kevin Ruck - FP Integra - 2:11.616
Sam Moore - EP Z3 - 2:12.712
Bob Dowie - GTL 200SX - 2:12.725
Jerome Hinkle - FP 7 - 2:12.816
Charlie Campbell - FP Miata - 2:12.903
Robert Lentz II - GTL SER - 2:13.412
Kyle Disque - GTL Tercel - 2:13.931
Peter Eells - EP RX-7 - 2:14.262

HP cars are:
20th - Ron Bartell - Midget - 2:23.023
22nd - Greg Plush - 510 - 2:25.307
25th - Charles Gerundo - GTI - 2:28.262

Today's race:
Sam Moore - EP Z3 - 2:10.967
Kevin Ruck - FP Integra - 2:10.703
Jerome Hinkle - FP 7 - 2:11.184
Charlie Campbell - FP Miate - 2:11.855
Peter Eells - EP RX-7 - 2:13.936
Brian Downey - GTL 200SX - 2:14.331
Kyle Disque - GTL Tercel - 2:14.517
Robert Lents II - GTL SER - 2:15.090
Bob Dowie - GTL 200SX - 2:14.914
James Schutt - EP RX-7 - 2:15.150

HP cars:
17th - Ron Bartell - Midget - 2:22.556
20th - Greg Plush - 510 - 2:25.901
21st - Charles Gerundo - GTI - 2:29.665

New EP track record - Rick Kavitski - Miata - 2:10.171
New FP track record - Kevin Ruck - Integra - 2:10.703

I'm actually still fighting with Timing & Scoring about the FP record. It wasn't listed on the results sheet after the race, eventhough anywhere you look lists the FP record as Harold Flescher at a 2:12.0 in 2003, including on the "Current Track Records" list inside the event program The Finger Lakes Region handed out to every competitor at registration. But when I went and asked T&S what the deal was, it was looked up on their "official computer" and I was told with a completely straight face, that it listed the FP record as a 1:54.3, set at the 2009 July national. Uhm......what? The GT1 record is a 1:53. I even took out my cell phone, pulled up the 2009 July National on mylaps.com, and showed that this "record" didn't happen. I was simply told that they'd look into it, and I should check back tomorrow. Yeah, we'll see how that goes. :roll:

Aside from that, Jerome, Charlie and I had an awesome race! We swapped the lead back and forth several times, with a lot of passing and close racing. Sam and Rick's EP cars were mixed in there as well, giving us FP cars some serious tows! Unfortunately Rick developed a pretty massive oil leak from his oil filter with just a couple laps to go, and had to pull off, but he was still able to grab the EP record. He should be good to go for tomorrow though. From what I heard in impound after the race, the top four GTL guys all had an awesome race too. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Any update on Ken Buchel (FP Honda) who took a hard hit into the barriers going into the boot on the first lap of the Saturday race and was med evacted to Rochester hospital?

From the local Star Gazette newspaper:

Ken Buchel, of Denver, Pa., was listed in guarded condition Saturday night at Strong Memorial Hospital after he crashed his No. 5 F-Production 1990 Honda CRX on the opening lap of the Group 1 race late Saturday morning.

Buchel's car hit the inner guardrail at the entrance of Turn 6 and then crossed the track and struck the outer tire barrier. Safety crews had to cut the roof off of his Honda to get the driver out. Buchel was transported by ambulance to Schuyler Hospital and then airlifted to Rochester.

Ken's brother in law John Martin was racing with us at Summit this weekend. I spoke with him Sunday morning about Ken.
Ken has a skull fracture, crushed sinus passages, a subdural hematoma (bleeding in his skull), and was in a coma. His lower extremities were responsive to stimuli.

John's quote was that "Ken is in a bad way."

My thoughts are with Ken and his family. I hope that everything works out.

cheers
dave parker

dave parker":3psisbcn said:
Ken's brother in law John Martin was racing with us at Summit this weekend. I spoke with him Sunday morning about Ken.
Ken has a skull fracture, crushed sinus passages, a subdural hematoma (bleeding in his skull), and was in a coma. His lower extremities were responsive to stimuli.

John's quote was that "Ken is in a bad way."

My thoughts are with Ken and his family. I hope that everything works out.

cheers
dave parker

Dave,
If you have anyway to get hold of John Martin. Please pass along my contact info. I live in Rochester pretty close to Strong and will help anyway I can.
Dennis80 "at" rochester.rr.com
585 520 2929 cell
585 458 1520 work

Kevin
I unfortunately do not know how to reach John.
I called Ken's shop in Denver, PA. this morning and got no answer.

I know that Ken's wife is with him at the hospital and I believe that John was heading up there today.

Sorry I don't know more.
cheers
dave parker

I believe they are good at the moment. Most of Ken's family are with him in Rochester. I spoke with them this morning. It looks like 7-10 days until we know the extent of the his brain injuries.

Glad to hear most everyone else in small bore did well. Keeping Ken in our thoughts & prayers.

That's horrible news, good luck to Ken and his family. Ken's a good driver and one of the best to race with, doesn't make many mistakes.

Very sorry to hear of Ken’s accident. I will keep him in my prayers tonight. If there is anyone that knows him personally, please let him know that I would be happy to talk to him.
[email protected]

Ken Nesbit":1wccn2e4 said:
Ken's a good driver and one of the best to race with, doesn't make many mistakes.
Ken spun right in front of me during the first lap going down the hill into turn 6. The car immediately snapped sideways as he hit the brakes, then tank slapped and went off to the inside, hit the tire wall and then crossed back onto the track in front of me and hit the outside. I don't think that there was any mistake made in his driving. It looked like something broke, or a tire blew since he immediately went sideways.

I hope that as we hear more we will get some better news about his injuries. Our hearts go out to his wife and family and we hope that he recovers quickly.

Thanks to everyone that missed me when I spun to avoid him.

Back