Watkins Gen Majors Report

Tom Broring

Nothing on the board yet about Watkins Glen this weekend. Pretty good turnout with 24 cars in the 3 Production classes and GTL. No DOT tire classes in our race group (thanks). Beside rain on the Thursday test day, good weather all weekend. Three lap records set, on Saturday Rick Kavitski in EP set a new record of 2:07.428 and Kyle Disque with his second lap record this season in GTL with 2:10.703. Ron Bartell was close to his old HP lap record as well. On Sunday, Chris Deyden set a second lap record this season in EP with a 2:07.207.

Hats off to ProdBoard regular Jason Stine for his first Majors win on Sunday in HP. After winning a door prize of a set of BF Goodrich tires at the after party Saturday night, he earned another pair of Hoosiers Sunday (Goodyear get with the program). His bugeye looked great after fixing the EV towing damage last year at Beaver Run/PIR.

Saturday had no full course yellows at all, just a couple waving for a quick spin/recover. This is unusual at Watkins Glen. Sunday unfortunately saw Ron Bartell in his HP Midget and Mark Weber in his FP Miata come together just past turn 1 at the start. Cars were 3 and 4 wide there at the start and this looked to me from behind as just one of those racing incidents, but both were out of the race.

Saturday Results:
EP
Rick Kavitski Mazda Miata
Chris Dryden BMW Z3
Kevin Leigh BMW Z3
George Kline Chaterham
Joe Kelly Chaterham

FP
Peter Tonelli Mazda Miata
Ken Kannard Mazda Miata
Kyle Baker Mazda Miata
Patrick Crider Mazda Miata
Jeff Norris Mazda Miata
Mark Weber Mazda Miata
Tom Tremper BMW 2002
Scott McCallister VW Golf

HP
Ron Bartell MG Midget
Tom Broring Triumph Spitfire
Jason Stine AH Sprite
Johannes Kraus VW Scirocco
Gib Stine AH Sprite

GTL
Kyle Disque Toyota Tercel
Jamie Hausman Honda CRX
Bryan Floyd Nissan 200Sx (first time at Watkins)
Chris Riley Austin Cooper (Mini)
Bob Dowie Nissan 200SX

Sunday Results:
EP
Chris Dryden BMW Z3
Rick Kavitski Miata(running a stock Miata transmission)
Kevin Leigh BMW Z3
George Kline Chaterham
Joe Kelly Chaterham

FP
Patrick Crider Mazda Miata (after many trials this weekend and at NJ)
Ken Kannard Mazda Miata
Kyle Baker Mazda Miata
Jeff Norris Mazda Miata
Michael Jeager BMW 2002

HP
Jason Stine AH Sprite
Johanes Kraus VW Scirocco
Gib Stine AH Sprite
Tom Broring Triumph Spitfire (on 3 cylinders)

GTL
Kyle Disque Toyota Tercel
Jamie Hausman Honda CRX
Bob Dowie Nissan 200SX
Bryan Floyd Nissan 200SX
Andrew Riley Austin Cooper (Mini)

Tom Broring":2inygajy said:
Hats off to ProdBoard regular Jason Stine for his first Majors win on Sunday in HP. After winning a door prize of a set of BF Goodrich tires at the after party Saturday night, he earned another pair of Hoosiers Sunday (Goodyear get with the program). His bugeye looked great after fixing the EV towing damage last year at Beaver Run/PIR.

Wholly ironic that a guy who works for Goodyear, wins tires from BFG in a raffle and then wins some from Hoosier on track. Crazy man........

Dayle

Tom Broring":3gxij2v3 said:

Thanks for the kind words Tom. It was a great weekend all in all. Sorry to see Ron and Mark go off in turn 1 yesterday but glad that both guys are unhurt. Mark's car got airborne when it impacted the tire wall and it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks to all of the prod guys and to my family and crew for a fun weekend. I especially want to thank Peter, Ron and Dan for burning the midnight oil and helping me repair my starter Saturday night.

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the season!

Fixed these up a little bit, as some names/correct cars were missing. Non-Miata's are few and far between in FP, so need to be right when someone dares to bring one out...especially when it's an Integra. :wink:
Tom Broring":2lmn81nl said:
Saturday Results:
FP
Ken Kannard Mazda Miata
Kyle Baker Mazda Miata
Patrick Crider Mazda Miata
Jeff Norris Mazda Miata
Mark Weber Mazda Miata
Michael Jaeger BMW 2002
Tom Tremper Acura Integra

Sunday Results:
FP
Patrick Crider Mazda Miata (after many trials this weekend and at NJ)
Ken Kannard Mazda Miata
Kyle Baker Mazda Miata
Jeff Norris Mazda Miata
Michael Jeager BMW 2002
Tom Tremper Acura Integra
Mark Weber Mazda Miata

Wish I could've been there again. Anxiously awaiting EP in-car video. :mrgreen:

What a great weekend.

With the return of a true small bore race grouping in the north east (no ****** *****), we're just having a blast.

Folks are clean, fast, heads up, and racing hard.

These are the good old days!

-Kyle

Must have seen a dozen photographers around the track and paddock/impound. Anyone know where photos might be posted?

Did anyone find a photographer that was there?

I know Matthew Boyce shot the event and that he's working on posting the pics to his facebook page.

-Kyle

Ron, try using the closed cover on the camera. It will lower the wind noise quite a bit and get more of your car than the others around you, if that's what you're looking for.

there are also external microphones available. I've heard people place the mic under the dash/windscreen on open cars to reduce the wind noise.

Back