Wanted: info on importing a race engine from Canada to US

Curtis

How difficult is it to bring a race only loose engine over the border from Canada and does anyone have experience? I'm wondering if its as simple as showing up at the border crossing with a bill of sale and declaring it, or if there will be some long drawn out bonding process and I would need to hire a broker?

If anyone has done this, or has knowledge of what would be required I would very much appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Thanks !

Ship it over as scrap, unusable. If you show up at the border to pick it up bring your own handcuffs. It'll save time. If you need a shipper I can furnish the one that transported my Hi-Po 289.

James

There was a race car for sale in Canada that I had some interest in. I decided not to pursue it as I could not find information on the internet that suggested importing the car was a straight forward process. It seems like it should be simple but the notes I found discussed only allowing temporary imports for three to five years and then having to return the car to Canada or distroy it. This seems illogical. Has anyone one else had a positive experience bringing in a race car from Canada?

Jim

http://www.hurleyracingproducts.com/. Check with Mike Devins (HRP) he deals with Jacek Mucha race team crossing the border frequently.

Clark

if you are abroad more than 48 hrs you are allowed an $800 exemption.

the customs and border protection agency is really quite helpful...some basic information is here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/trade_outreach/diduknow.xml

Curtis,

I have brought parts from Canada quite often in the past. also shipped new fiberglass to Canada. Never had a problem bringing parts across the border as long as I had a reciept. Don't know if there is a value limit. When shipping parts to Canada a broker is usually used but this can be handled by the shipping company. Fees vary but seem to be higher going into Canada. Can make a difference if the parts are Canadian manufacture or have another country of origin. I'm sure you could check with US Customs for details.

Rod Hahnemann

Ask Rob Coffey,

He brings a few dozen a season!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks everyone. Crossing border back to US with parts tomorrow morning. Will use my one phone call to post a bail request here if needed. LOL

Back