VIR Double National

I'll be working only a few miles from VIR. If anyone has a GTL; HP; or FP that they want to see run (run = "driven with care", not run into the ground), let me know. Peter

I went last year for the first time and loved it. Great track. Friendly people. The works. Unfortunately it is the same weekend as New Hampshire. Can't miss the only close race to home unless I get real ambitious. Otherwise I'd be there.

I'm trying to free up some time to come out there. Three of the MSRHouston members are going and they have trailer room for me. Problem is I'm going to the Mitty the next weekend and then TMS already. I'm already planning to go to ProdFest this year on the way to the Savannah vintage race. But at least this wouldn't be a haul, just a go out and race.

James -R
HP #66

Still hoping to make this one, if my car ever runs correctly again. Surprised at the low car counts so far, but I guess it is still a little ways away.

Two weeks out, and a total of only nine Prod cars signed up. Kind of surprising, and unfortunately it's not looking like I'm going to be adding to that number.

kruck":2u1o5758 said:
Officially out....again. Why do I participate in this stupid hobby again?

Why? For all the joy it brings you...for all the money you save and how clean your clothes and hands are....for the fact that you never stay up all night doing an engine rebuild or have to get up at the crack of dawn at inhumane hours and never have to drive a tow rig 12 hours or change a tire on the PA Tpk on July 4th weekend. Oh wait. Nevermind. That's some other "hobby" like chess or woodworking.

Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend. I'm glad I had a chance to practice in the wet at Pocono last year.

Don Walsh":2jakewtu said:
Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend. I'm glad I had a chance to practice in the wet at Pocono last year.

There's nothing like that wet paddock sand from VIR...I'll be finding it in the trailer and motorhom a year from now. It gets into everything.

Quick update, it's late & I'm tired. Nice day, no rain till after all the sessions.
EP
Greg Ira
Kevin Leigh
Sam Moore
FP
Ken Kannard
Barry Perkins
Richard Foul
HP
Jay Griffin
Mike Moore
No other finishers
GTL
Bob Lentz II
Brian Disney
Octavio Calvillo

A lot of attrition today unfortunately, more than most of the other groups ironically. Some may make it back out tomorrow, some not. I know there are quite a few less trailers here now than there were this AM.
Looking like a lot of rain tomorrow ...

Congrats to Jay Griffin for clenching the National Points Championship in H Production this past weekend at VIR. With 6 wins and 1 second it is unlikely any of his competitors can now secure the 7 wins needed to overcome him. Congrats Jay, the SEDIV Championship and National Points Championship are well deserved. Now go to RA and beat those other 2 Honda's for the Triple Crown!
Regards,
Keith Church

We had some great racing in GTL this weekend. Intense qualifying efforts that put Warren Montague on pole both days by tenths of seconds over me. A really strong showing for his new 4AG 1600 4v package with the 23.5mm SIR. I had a little more grunt out of the corner, but his car is 100lbs lighter. In the end it appeared to be a wash.

Saturday's race we ran nose to tail passing each other several times under braking on the straights. about halfway he made a mistake and went to throttle a little bit early in 4 and lost the rear end right in front of me. For those that know Warren, you know mistakes are pretty rare. I got the win and Brian Downey was second and Octavio was third. Dowie lost his trans.

Sunday it was pouring rain. Warren's windshield fogged up instantly and he was done. Brian and I ran about 200 yards apart with me leading for the first 7 laps trying - searching for speed and grip without wrecking the car. On lap 7 just as I touched the brake pedal heading into turn 1 at 110mph or so, I lost the rear end and went for a long, long slide. Brian won and I got second.

I'll try to get the video of Warren and I up soon. We had great parity and great racing. It was a really awesome weekend even with the spin. Great racing.

Race video from Saturday: http://vimeo.com/40903729

Thanks Keith, winning the SEDIV was my first goal this year. The rest of all that remains to be settled of course but I like where I'm sitting. :mrgreen:
Missed you after Fridays afternoon session. I was hoping you'd make it back up Sat. or Sun.

Other than the cold, wet Sunday I really enjoyed this past weekend. I really like that place and am STILL leaving a lot of speed out there. I just can't make it back up as often as I'd like to, that 11-1/2 hour tow is a killer! I didn't get home till around noon Monday.

For a change I was able to finish a rain race in this car...and still be able to see where I was going. Sort of. I had a blower that would keep the middle and left of the windshield pretty clear, the middle section I used a squeegee. With a towel zip-tied to it. Would have been nice to be able to see out the entire windshield but at least this time I could actually see where I was, and needed, to be going. Unlike last year at Roebling when I couldn't see a thing after two laps.

I did make one big mistake when I caught and passed Mike Miller going into turn 4 though. About the time I was beside him going into the turn I noticed both Greg Ira (who had just lapped me the previous lap) in the tires on the outside of the turn AND a yellow flag at the corner station! :doh: I think I damn near parked it as far left as I could and kept waving for him to go back around me after we got past the incident.

I copied a screen shot from the camera of the start...except for one or two times during the race, when I had nobody directly ahead of
me, the view only got worse from this point. :roll:

6963672436_964dfd6bf0_b.jpg

Darryl Saylor":25j7d0td said:
Rag on a screwdriver?

:lol: The squeegee juuuuust wasn't quite long enough for me to feel comfortable reaching it. So I used up the last of my gaffers tape (which, BTW is MUCH better than duct tape!) to tape the screwdriver to the squeegee handle.

Here's the first lap of that Sunday race plus a few extra bits. I'm thinking a wiper may be in order next time. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBS1E0KZQU&feature=player_embedded

Back