Vintage AP and BP cars at Watkins Glen

hoffman900

I found this and thought a few of you might enjoy it. While not current production, it's vintage production racing. It's a very well edited race recap and it lets the cars do the talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH8B1qGbeu0

There are a few SCCA racers in the mix. Jack Bush (GT1 racer) is in the #61 Jaguar E-Type (the roadster) and Wilson Wright Jr. is in the silver hardtop Jaguar a little bit behind him.

Bob, Along with Jack and I were a few other SCCA people. Peter and (Tom Ragonetti E-Prod), Rick Haynes F-Prod, Charles Guest GT-4 and F-Prod, Craig Chima F-Prod, Steve Cook GT-4 are the ones I saw or heard on the speaker.

This video demonstrates that vintage racing is not just a bunch of old cars parading around a race track. For all those who claim SCCA has the best racing I think that depends on what you drive. If you race a Miata, sure SCCA has the best racing. But if don't race a Miata there are plenty of options. How can you even claim you had a race when you're the only car in your class.

The racing is pretty good.
The vintage rules are very lax. The cars have maybe 40% more power than they ever did when current. Jericho trans with 5.5 in disc , developed front ends, etc. Brakes. The tire rule keeps them close and slithering.
Driving the IRS Vett up the hill is very entertaining. The car goes all over the place through the pavement breaks in T 3. Lots of fun.

Very cool thanks for posting that. I'd love to make something similar after the runoffs this year.

wwjr":2kcs445v said:
Bob, Along with Jack and I were a few other SCCA people. Peter and (Tom Ragonetti E-Prod), Rick Haynes F-Prod, Charles Guest GT-4 and F-Prod, Craig Chima F-Prod, Steve Cook GT-4 are the ones I saw or heard on the speaker.

I saw Mike Unger's (EP) name in the results and there are several more if you go back through looking for SCCA members from the 1960s until present.

I know the AP vintage cars are making in excess of 700bhp and the BP cars are making 530bhp. All with iron heads and low rise intakes. For reference, the 2nd place BP Cobra at the Runoffs in 1970 made about 350bhp (choke restricted with stock ported heads and intake).
Here is in-car from the winning Corvette from last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLrjOgtuzfE

Looks like a handful :shock:

I was there racing the ex-Bob Sharp CP Datsun 2000 in group 3. I had some very good, close, hard racing with the Vic Skirmants prepared Porsche 356s. We had some slightly damp track conditions during our races on Saturday and Sunday which is always interesting on Hoosier TDs but a really great weekend of racing with big crowds of spectators.

Mike U.

Back