Ummm Wow. Goodyear NLA for 13" though the Runoffs....

I guess my real complaint is that the bias plies were kinda of status quo for so many years, all that sorted itself out - meaning there were cantilevered slicks made due to the narrow rim sizes.

Now that the radials are En Vogue, having an inch wider wheel would make for some serious lap time differences.

I think those cars were "given" 8 inch rims before the radials took off - meaning they were given a gift, IMHO.

Yes, they are the stock size - but what cantilever slick benefited from that. The radials absolutely do.

I feel like the difference is great enough that drivers should be able to test and see if 8s + 50lbs or whatever are to their advantage.

As it is now, we have a helter skelter whoever gets whatever on wheel sizes - or so it appears to me.

blamkin86":w1dgd7cp said:
I guess my real complaint is that the bias plies were kinda of status quo for so many years, all that sorted itself out - meaning there were cantilevered slicks made due to the narrow rim sizes.

Now that the radials are En Vogue, having an inch wider wheel would make for some serious lap time differences.

I think those cars were "given" 8 inch rims before the radials took off - meaning they were given a gift, IMHO.

Yes, they are the stock size - but what cantilever slick benefited from that. The radials absolutely do.

I feel like the difference is great enough that drivers should be able to test and see if 8s + 50lbs or whatever are to their advantage.

As it is now, we have a helter skelter whoever gets whatever on wheel sizes - or so it appears to me.

Right now you can't put any wider tire on a 8" rim than on a 7". If someday there is an 8" cantilever then demand will be such that it will probably be from only one manufacturer, maybe two at most, expensive and you'll have to have them to be competitive. If we go down to only one manufacturer for cantilevers, contigencies for everyone, including the fast guys who never have to buy tires, will end as will development, but you'll still have to have them to run up front. Spec tires just benefit the organizer, not the competitor usually. If you want choice, competition, and to your point, everybody on the same playing field just go with the "box rule". Everybody under the same maximum tire, anyway they want to get there.

Sorry about the rambly post above. I wasn't even drinking.

Curtis":27az4mai said:
Right now you can't put any wider tire on a 8" rim than on a 7".

While that is technically accurate, my point is that with a given radial, the rim being wider is worth a lot of time (up to the rim width being wider than the tread width).

Put it another way- all those cars running 8+" rims and radials would be slower on 7s, with the exact same tire.

I just feel that no thought is being put into where the 8" rim width is legal. I'd submit they pick some minimum weight (2400#?) or else we're going to have some 2200# cars on 7s and some on 8s. That doesn't seem reasonable.

blamkin86":mw7ixjtb said:
Sorry about the rambly post above. I wasn't even drinking.

I just feel that no thought is being put into where the 8" rim width is legal. I'd submit they pick some minimum weight (2400#?) or else we're going to have some 2200# cars on 7s and some on 8s. That doesn't seem reasonable.

From what I see in EP all but two of the cars are already over 2400lbs with stock trans. Only the RX-8 (which I think got a weight break in the last few years - and I doubt can hit minimum) is at 2300lbs, and the 06-11 Civic is at 2300. The S2K and Boxster are over the 2400lb mark you suggested, so it should not be an issue. And so far none of the cars on 8"s are killing EP.

I honestly don't get the rush to call for a rule change because one vendor wont have a 13" this year at the Runoffs. There could be any number of reasons that Goodyear came up short on production of the 13"s this year, and it is a true loss to them and us that they are not available, but I can't see any reason for a knee jerk reaction and a change to our rules. It seems extremely short sighted to suggest changing a rule around and expendable item like tires, that will have a big financial impact on the wheels we use year after year.

Try to use just the contact patch rule.
Allow any wheels , keep the track rule,
Maybe 10in patch max for E,F
9in for H,
measured @ 25#.
This is another rule that needs to change with the times. We run this class because we can use free tires. \ CUP take offs @ 17in would be nice, SRF take offs @ 13in, etc.
The serious guys, will run serious tires.

Jason@SportsCar":3bh10qei said:
so far none of the cars on 8"s are killing EP.

Granted. With all due respect, the Z3s are pretty fast. I also firmly believe a well prepped S2000 is just a few years from being the best car in the class. I don't know why more 328s aren't being built- they seem very fast at their ridiculous weight- it'll never happen but we should have split out 2.5L + cars into another class.

Anyway, staying somewhat on topic...

Jason@SportsCar":3bh10qei said:
I honestly don't get the rush to call for a rule change because one vendor wont have a 13" this year at the Runoffs. .

My reason for wanting the rule change is the advent and popularity of the radial, not the disappearance of the 13s. Should have made that more clear I suppose.

You folks can work out all the BS on rim/tire/weight etc. but I wound up getting four used 20 x 8 x 13 GY 430s from John Berget just to get me through the rest of the season in the south east regionals. Think maybe we ought to be looking at who wants to sell tires to who and who doesn't. If after 28 years of racing on Goodyears they decide I'm not worth their trouble then you are looking at a racer who can make changes faster than salt pork through a duck!

Bob

The dirt tire thing is a little different in that Goodyear was paying to be a series sponsor. They will probably still make the tires, just not pay the big nut to have there name on the series. Bean counters figured out that there was no ROI. Kinda a no brainer. I would not be surprised if it was the bean counters that said its time to clear out all old tire RR tire stock before making anything new that put us in this situation. Hoosier is a little smarter in that they put up old stock at a discounted price to move them out.

Back