Track Measurement

racer_tim

Staff member
Page 185 says:

4. MEASURING TRACK
Track is the distance between the centerlines of the wheels as raced, without driver, measured at a horizontal plane through the wheel hub
centerline. Alternatively, it may be measured from the inside of one wheel at the hub centerline height to the outside of the other wheel, then
conversely from the outside of the first wheel at hub centerline to the inside of the second wheel. The 2 dimensions obtained are to be added
together and divided by 2 to obtain the average. Measurements are to be taken at both front and rear of the wheels and averaged to compensate
for toe-in/out. Under certain circumstances it may be preferable to measure from the outside of one wheel to the outside of another and
from this dimension deduct the thickness of one wheel. This should be repeated 180° opposite to the first measurement and the two dimensions
averaged.

Why not just take one measurements from the bottom vertical plane, at the rims lowest point. Wouldn't that eliminate any toe in/out variances?

I found out why I was eating drivers side outer CV joints. I had zero deflection on the drivers side, and about 1/8" to 3/16" on the passenger side. The drivers side is the shorter of the 2 1/2 shafts, so that is the one with the most acute angle.

I've got adjustable lower control arms in the Wabbit, and I have between 2" - 3" that It available.

Thanks

Why not just take one measurements from the bottom vertical plane, at the rims lowest point. Wouldn't that eliminate any toe in/out variances?

The toe measurments are horizontal, and correcting for the difference front to rear toe. Averaging the 2 measurements yields the centerline of the wheels/track.

If I understand your question, how would you compensate for camber angle? The vertical measurement would also need to be done from the top of the tire, and averaged with the bottom measurement. Much more awkward than toe measurement with fenders on the car.

The VW is hard to get real wide with the front hubs/knuckle geometry. I have about 2 more in available .
I just shove a tape across the floor to the inside of the opposite tire and measure to the outside of the near tire.
Glad the book info helped.
Have fun . MM

Take a Toe Gauge type tool. Long piece of square tube with bent adjustable slide pointer on each end. Pointers inward for outside rim measurement and pointers outward for inside rim measurement. Fenders on, square tube rests on floor or two folks holding is easier.

No I don't set my toe with a toe gauge.

Back