Tire Storage between race weekends

jimmypet

Hey Guys,
in between race weekends are you all taking your spare tires out of your trailer and putting them inside a garage?
Barring the obvious freezing temperatures that they tell you not to expose race tire to...

I take 2-3 additional sets of tires with me and I wonder if left in my trailer,,, or in my pickup which has a solid sided lockable camper cap,,, for an off week is that doing damage / heat cycling?
For years I have been taking the tires out when I take the car out of the trailer for off week servicing,,, but taking out all the tires is a serious PITA.

What are you doing?

Thanks
jimmy

I bag my wheels / tires after every weekend and put them in my shed, which just happens to be below the driveway. I wouldn't leave anything in an enclosed trailer, since it becomes an oven during the summer, and an ice box during the winter.

All my stuff is kept in an air conditioned garage or storage room between races. Not doing that makes them lose their luster pretty quickly.

James -r

Make a cart or dolly to store the tires, mount the cart on wheels 4" or larger. Makes it much less work to unload quickly. You may be able to store them, on the dolly, under a workbench in the trailer.
Keep them out of the sunlight as much as possible.

Thanks for the reinforcement.
I guess I always knew that it was right to do it,,, I guess I was hoping for an answer to the opposite that I was crazy and everyone leaves their tires in their trailer to no ill effect,,, haha.

I have made a rolling tire storage rack that makes it as easy a job as it can be.
I made a cover for it out of a heavy tarp.
I'll keep on doing what I have been doing.

Thanks for making me feel a little less nutty.

If they're new, I keep them bagged and store them in the kids' bedroom until ready for use. If they've been used, then they either stay on the car (in the enclosed trailer), or I put them in the tire rack in the trailer. If there's room in the garage, I'll move them there but it's so full right now I have to move stuff out just to work.

The good thing is it doesn't freeze here but it does get stinking hot in the summer. I don't have much choice, but for the few months I keep a set of tires, it doesn't seem to hurt them much. I race enough between SCCA and local track events that the tires are usually gone within 6 months of mounting. After the first couple months, they're only used for practice/play days when I'm not worried about times anyway.

Back