Tire and wheel clearance questions

Curtis

How close can I, or have you, run a Hoosier Prod/GT radial slick sidewall to the UPPER ball joint?

How tight can I, or have you, run the clearance between the inside diameter of the wheel rim and the outside edge of the brake caliper?

THANK YOU in advance for anything shared. I am trying to figure out some wheel stuff that almost, but doesn't quite fit, and don't want to risk a weekend, or an off track excursion, learning the hard way what doesn't work.

I've always used the width of my fingers. If I can't slide my fingers between the strut and the sidewall, I get another spacer.

The wheel diameter and brake caliper are much closer, I'd say 1/8"

Just my $0.02 worth

Run the GY and Hoosiers 3/8" from max width area. Occasional rub on LP car springs and upper coil over bolt on FP. Only problem I ever had was a big wad of tire rubber between the tire and the spring. Boy did that stink before it went away!

Bob

Thank you Tim and Bob, I wanted to try 1/4 (2/8) from top ball joint but based on Bob's comment maybe I should make it 3/8. Anybody been closer?

I use about 5/8in from the tie rod end and 3/8 or more at the top side. If anything is close, I paint the contact area usually with "chevy orange". If you get a slight rub,up the pressure a few #s and it may go away.

I've run 4-piston fixed mount calipers within just a couple mm of wheel rim and spokes. after a particularly nasty wet race, I could see mating scratches between caliper and spokes from dirt/sand that had gotten in the way. never had issues with metal parts contacting though.

on low profile radial tires, 1/4" is about the closest I would go. add clearance if you have larger sidewalls or bias ply.

Back