Tachometer a bit screwy???

Think Racing

My autometer tachometer is reading 7k when the car is running at 3.5k and pegs at 10k when only doing 5500k.

Its a FP Miata.

I've checked the wiring and even adjusted the pulse settings on the Electromotive to see if anything made a difference - 1 pulse, 2 pulse, no pulse. Doesn't matter.

It worked properly once before, so it can't be the calibration.

Any thoughts?? Do these things just go bad at some point? It's 5 years old - 13 races.

Fred, two places to look. On the back of the tach there's usually two loops of wire, brown and orange, for a 4 cylinder you cut the loop for both wires. Also, the pulse setting in the electromotive software setup, which it sounds like you've been changing. Check the two loops of wire on the back of the tach.

Thanks Ken for confirming. I went down and checked and both wires have been clipped, so it is properly calibrated.

Yet, it is still reading wrong. Unless it is something in the Electromotive, that I'm overlooking, I'm probably going to have to buy another one so I can continue to rule out what it might be ... :think:

try reconnecting the wires on the tach if you can. It sounds like it's reading the actual and the wasted spark event. Both as single events. The tach is seeing double spark for a 4 cyl with "normal" ignition instead of wasted spark ignition

PMcCartin":op9sqppf said:
try reconnecting the wires on the tach if you can. It sounds like it's reading the actual and the wasted spark event. Both as single events. The tach is seeing double spark for a 4 cyl with "normal" ignition instead of wasted spark ignition

That makes sense. I've called Electromotive for some advice and will check the wires again. I think it is something in the programming.

Fred, in Wintek 4, go to Advanced Parameters, and mess with "Tach Setup" which sets number of tach pulses per revolution.

Mine is currently set to 0, which means "use default." You may have to set it to 1 or something to get it to work.

I recently had a problem with my Autometer tach reading high by about 2,000 rpm. I contact Autometer and they asked me to send it to them to check out. As I recall they said it was some kind of internal voltage regulator that went bad. They fixed it and sent it back to me. I think the cost was around $150.

I'm going to check the pulse number. I have it set at two and it may need to be at 1. I'm also not convinced that as I made changes, they were saved and uploaded to the unit.

If that doesn't work, I have another tach that I can swap out.

Back