Summit Point

We'll both be there...as to who will be driving what car and who working what specialty, I dunno right now. :think: If Tom's not driving my car I may work and drive...

edited to add: not my designated day to watch Dave or Ken. I'm off-duty that day.

Hi heard they made changes at the track turns 3 and 4? I will be there if the weathers good!Dont care if its cold just dont like the rain.Any of you post in car cams?Would love to see some after the race weekend thanks..Sprman 8)

sprman":xlo8xxiv said:
Hi heard they made changes at the track turns 3 and 4? I will be there if the weathers good!Dont care if its cold just dont like the rain.Any of you post in car cams?Would love to see some after the race weekend thanks..Sprman 8)

Changes are to run-off area, berms & flag station tubs...no change to track surface. Have created some problems for crowd management as far as taking down fencing and taking away some trees that will now allow spectators to perhaps be more of a hazard (i.e. down stream from T3, driver's right) and they've put up lovely - but perhaps dangerous - kiosks for the flaggers. I say "dangerous" in that the flaggers may be hindered in getting out if if a car is headed towards them, and I understand the new tub at T4 is really closer to being in the path of traffic than F&C is happy with. Added to that, after driver's school the opinion of the flaggers was that the view might be somewhat impeded for them to display the flags using these new kiosks. So F&C is talking about not using some of the kiosks and going back to their "standard" location that was used before. T10 also had the kiosk placed much farther downstream than the old tub used to be and I understand that's being moved closer to the original tub location so the passing situations and apex are more clearly delineated. The old T10 tub was before the apex - the new kiosk was at or perhaps even slightly after the apex. Line of sight for drivers was weird with the new placement.

Dave's been out on track to see the changes...he may have more to add. I've seen them but not from in-car.

Thanks great update on what they did.Hope they get it all sorted out befor the National. Track sure has come a long way since it first opend.Ken i hope to see you there! Sprman 8)

Carolyn, is the missing man formation for Chris Fox on Saturday or Sunday. Please say Sunday as I have to work Saturday.

And what race goup is small bore/prod ?

Thanks !

Kevin P. McClain":33ktcwep said:
Carolyn, is the missing man formation for Chris Fox on Saturday or Sunday. Please say Sunday as I have to work Saturday.

And what race goup is small bore/prod ?

Thanks !

Weeellll...Dave's really the organizer as far as I understand, so I'm going to rely on him for the final answer. What I can tell you is Small Bore is last group. Normally a Missing Man would take place on Sunday race day, but being the end of the day, that's going to mean that many people are going to be gone by then and either not see it or not participate in it, so I don't know if that's going to have any impact that would affect its scheduling.

Regardless, it looks like we will be at SP rather than at VIR for the National, so Tom and I will be participating in the Missing Man one way or another. I hope to be driving, but I kinda need to see if the gubmint is going to decide to give me an unpaid vacation for a couple days, which will have an impact on my sporting life.

For all of you who may be coming to spectate and won't be driving, if you're up at grid for the Missing Man, you all are invited (don't need a hot pass for this) to walk out to pit-out by the EV station to salute the Missing Man lap as it goes by. Grid workers hand out checkered flags for you to salute with as the cars go by. It's pretty touching stuff. (But we do confiscate the flags once it's done and kick you back over to the cold-pass section if you don't have a hot pass - sorry)

I'll look into the scheduling and will try to update. I imagine it would be Sunday afternoon, per tradition.

Small bore group is group nine, last of the day on Sunday. Missing man pace lap to be on Sunday unless myself and the stewards can be convinced otherwise.
Normally, the racing on Sunday is done by four o'clock or so unless there is a lot of clean up from earlier groups.
The only change to the track that I noticed is the removal of the the trees and berm on the exit of T3, there is lots of runoff room out there now. That is all that will effect drivers until a spectator runs out onto the track because there is no fencing where they took down the trees.

cheers
dave parker

Folks - I just realized that this topic has morphed from Brian's original post about the National at Summit Point to a discussion of next weekend's regional MARRS race - where we'll be doing the Missing Man for Chris Fox.

Just to clarify - the Missing Man for Chris Fox will be taking place next weekend - April 17th - as Dave indicated in his post above, during the pace lap for the small bore race which is the last race group of the day. For more info on the procedure, you can see my earlier post. There are two pace laps, with the Missing Man taking place during the first lap. The second time around, pace car comes in and hopefully we get our green.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Sorry to have hi-jacked Brian's original msg about the National in May (21st - 22nd).

Back