Summit Point Major

SM with 2 entries and SRF with 7 entries; each getting their own run group? There is hardly a good run group with them COMBINED!

-Kyle

I'm excited to take the EP S2K out for the first time as a "topless" prod car. Thanks Chris H for the great work. Hopefully it will be significantly lighter than the 2850 it weighed at Ohio and NJMP. (No fat emoticon to insert)

Looking forward to some Summit action in the prod group and getting used to this car a bit.

Just a reminder, in case anyone missed it. We will be having a Missing Man/Honor Lap in memory of Col. Joe Hauser prior to the Prod group race on Sunday. Several members of Joe's family will be in attendance.

For any of the new kids on the block who don't know the legends, Col. Joe was an Army Air Corps bomber pilot and bomber instructor during WWII who went on to excel in SCCA club racing as a multiple winner of GP national championships. He retired from racing at the age of 78, and died this past May at 94. Those of you with longer memories, please share the stories. Another one who broke the mold.

We hope as many of you as possible can come out to pay their last respects to one of our greats. See you at Summit in two weeks!

Anne Callihan
Assistant Director of Club Racing
Washington DC Region SCCA

joecam96":2r3whdya said:
Lots of EP and FP cars entered Anyone else coming in HP?

Still trying to get my car back together after W.G. Can't promise that I will make it but if I do it will be fast and it will be ugly. Hope to see you.

GTL is at seven and with the addition of newcomer Graham Fuller in his tube frame mini (making it three full tube Minis in the field), we will be at eight GTLs. Ryan and Brian Downey are hard at work on Ryan's 510 and several other maybes could push us well over ten GTLs!

-Kyle

To the WDC folks on this board........is there ANY chance the SM and DOT groups will be combined so you can lengthen the qual sessions? I see 9 SMs and 16 DOTs that could be merged and NO double dipping cars would be affected.

I have no dog in this hunt but was curious. Since there are no SM, STL double dippers to be affected, I kinda makes sense.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":1yqqrc5f said:
To the WDC folks on this board........is there ANY chance the SM and DOT groups will be combined so you can lengthen the qual sessions? I see 9 SMs and 16 DOTs that could be merged and NO double dipping cars would be affected.

I have no dog in this hunt but was curious. Since there are no SM, STL double dippers to be affected, I kinda makes sense.

Dayle

Coincidentally, the DC Region Club Racing Committee was meeting this evening. Unfortunately, I had a previous engagement and was unable to attend. I am hoping that perhaps Gregg or AnneC saw this post beforehand and was able to bring it up.

I would not get hopes too high on the group consolidation. I know that we are already the "bad boys" of the conference for only having 2 OW run groups instead of 3, which did allow us to give more track time to the rest of the groups. We also have a history of seeing a lot of last minute entries by local drivers.

Still, I will pass on the request.

Greg Nagy":1mu0ptbk said:
Dayle Frame":1mu0ptbk said:

Dayle

Coincidentally, the DC Region Club Racing Committee was meeting this evening. Unfortunately, I had a previous engagement and was unable to attend. I am hoping that perhaps Gregg or AnneC saw this post beforehand and was able to bring it up.

I would not get hopes too high on the group consolidation. I know that we are already the "bad boys" of the conference for only having 2 OW run groups instead of 3, which did allow us to give more track time to the rest of the groups. We also have a history of seeing a lot of last minute entries by local drivers.

Still, I will pass on the request.

It wasn't a request (again, I'm not entered and I'm not in that conference) so much as I was curiously interested in how other regions can adjust things on the fly.

Our smaller Nor Con Majors (GMan, Grattan, Cat Nat) have only two open wheel groups so don't feel bad about that. If the car counts are there, then three may be warranted. If not, it's a waste of empty track time. The June Sprints has two FMs. They ran with 14 FFs.......talk about a boring race.

Dayle

Shoot, late to the dance. Didn't see the question until just now. We didn't set the race groups, at the request of the national Majors staff we are using the same race groupings as every other Eastern Conference Majors except for only having two open wheel groups. So as it is we have already reduced the number of groups from 8 to 7. (As Greg already said.)

And we have a 15 min qualifying session instead of 10 on Saturday morning!

As for the SMs, this is a bunch that typically registers late in the game, so there may be some upward movement there that would change all the group dynamics. (As Greg already said.)

At this point in the game, any movement is a stewards' decision ...

Anything else I can answer (or not answer)?

Latest small bore entries with 20 cars. As Anne noted, all the Eastern conference Majors have had the same groupings and unlikely to change for the final :applause. Currently 9 in GTL.

EP 7 Joe Kelly Orange 1999 Caterham Seven
EP 61 Matthew Stutt Red 1986 Mazda RX7 RP Performance
EP 65 Miner Wilcox yellow 2001 caterham 7 America Checkered Flag Farm
EP 5 Steven Lustig Gray/Blue 2000 Honda S2000 Autosport Auto Group/Luna Sueno Te
EP 9 Scott Graf Red 1974 Datsun 260Z eat crab eat fish
FP 24 James Scurria Yellow 1972 FIAT 124 Spider Auto Ricambi, LLC
FP 66 Jerry Hinkle BLACK 1971 LOTUS SEVEN, SERIES 4 Element One Associates
FP 77 Jeff Norris Yellow-Black 1992 Mazda Miata Wanna Bee Racing
HP 4 Ron Bartell Blu/wht 1962 MG Midget Hoosier Tires
HP 9 Tom Broring Black 1977 Triumph Spitfire Blue Crab Racing, Mountjoy's Autoshop
HP 6 Joe Camilleri Orange 1976 VW Scirocco Blue Car Design
GTL 31 Graham Fuller Black 1964 Austin Mini
GTL 32 Warren Montague Yellow 1996 Toyota Tercel Toyota Motorsports / TRD, Pella
GTL 34 Richard Barlow Blue 1968 Triumph Spitfire Barlow Racing
GTL 49 Ted Phenix yellow 1977 Austin Mini Cooper 'S' GNA alutech inc.
GTL 60 Robert Lentz Ii Yello 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R FGR/Hoosier
GTL 64 Donald Walsh Silver 1990 Toyota Tercel Classic Auto, Social Security
GTL 70 Bryan Floyd Blue/yellow 2002 Nissan 200SX Kelly Chrysler
GTL 92 Kyle Disque White 1994 Toyota Tercel Toyota - Hoosier - 71 Crowd
GTL 3 Chris Kopley silver 1965 austin mini AER

Anne C. please find me this weekend I have something for you.

Bryan Floyd
70 GTL Yellow/blue (slow) :wink:

This ^ is one anal car. It's second time out was this past weekend at Road America.

OK Brian FLoyd, I'll look for you. I'll be working Start on Friday, but Sat and Sun I should be cruising on a yellow golf cart ("Team Twisted") playing race admin staff.

Ooops - Thursday morning's update has me working Pit on Friday, not Start.

David Dewhurst":8pxx6o28 said:

This ^ is one anal car. It's second time out was this past weekend at Road America.

Is that supposed to be a compliment? :mrgreen:

Jesse Prather":31yzqa67 said:
David Dewhurst":31yzqa67 said:

YES, and if the driver/crew guys with the car read this they would take it as a complement. They were fun to chat with.

David Dewhurst":2og5p7j4 said:
Jesse Prather":2og5p7j4 said:
David Dewhurst":2og5p7j4 said:

YES, and if the driver/crew guys with the car read this they would take it as a complement. They were fun to chat with.

Jesse,
While I would have chosen a different adjective (remarkable, exquisite?), David is right......this car is a beautiful example of craftsmanship. The guys are from Oregon and did RA and will do SP on back to back weekends. Ouch! That's a schlep.

Best of luck to them both on track and on their return trip home.

Dayle

Adding to Dayle's comments. From my observations, at Road America the sole purpose was to finish. Their mission is to get an invite to the Runoffs. :applause: The guy road raced years ago, then did late model short tracks and back to road racing.

Just "watched" the race via live timing. Looks like Mr. Bartell has a new Summit Point HP lap record!

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Back